Cultivated Reef

Tired of cleaning nasty filter socks in your sump?

Lawnman

I have had plenty of reef tanks and sumps. I am not a fan of filter socks because they get nasty. So I made a filter floss holder for my sump. Piece of PVC cut to the measurements I needed. PVC end cap I drilled a hole in the bottom. I also drilled holes around the bottom of the PVC tube. I put a reducer tube on top 1 1/2 pvc drain goes inside. Last but not least paint it black with Krylon Fusion spray paint.

Here is the filter floss holder.

2E52B911.jpg

Remove the PVC cap from the bottom and install new filter floss and put the cap back on.

8A7C77E7.jpg

Now it is ready to go back in the sump. Also is self draining when you remove it out of the sump.

1E0DD56C.jpg

Here you can see it sitting in my sump.

7EDFA2E9.jpg

albertthiel

I have had plenty of reef tanks and sumps. I am not a fan of filter socks because they get nasty. So I made a filter floss holder for my sump. Piece of PVC cut to the measurements I needed. PVC end cap I drilled a hole in the bottom. I also drilled holes around the bottom of the PVC tube. I put a reducer tube on top 1 1/2 pvc drain goes inside. Last but not least paint it black with Krylon Fusion spray paint.

Here is the filter floss holder.

Remove the PVC cap from the bottom and install new filter floss and put the cap back on.

Now it is ready to go back in the sump. Also is self draining when you remove it out of the sump.

Here you can see it sitting in my sump.

Neat idea ... and yes a lot of the filter socks do plug up quickly sometimes ... and so your DIY replacement is a good way to go IMO ... Definitely like it .. thanks for the post

very interesting idea.....

How often are you changing the filter floss?

I installed it on Sunday and pulled it out today to check it. No signs of it clogging up anytime soon. I installed it back in with the same floss. I know it will not clog in 7-10 days. I am gonna run it for 2 weeks for those of you that do bi weekly waterchanges.

Any back pressure created once it starts to clog? Similar scenario would be if you were to use a drawstring sock around the end of the drain.

A local made one of these for his tanks and even though I have been in the hobby for 15 years, the simplicity blew my mind... I hate filter socks with a passion....... I need to get mine up!

Nice job!

This is ingenious!! You need to patent it.
I can't take all the credit. I seen it on another website and brought it here to share with my NR family. You can also put media bags in the bottom and filter floss on top. The water HAS to flow thru the bags. Since there are no media baskets for sumps this is a great idea. I run reactors but those of you that do not it is a nice alternative to just floating the bags.

This is a great idea. I have been trying to figure out a good way to do this myself, I absolutely hate the filter sock setup.. I mean they work wonders and I have never had such "clean" water, but such a PITA on maintenance.

I'll be following, and maybe copying.. :)

Any back pressure created once it starts to clog? Similar scenario would be if you were to use a drawstring sock around the end of the drain.
NO back pressure. The key as you see in my sump picture is to make sure your drain line is smaller than the top hole. So if it does clog it will just overflow the tube back into the sump. If your drain tube was the same size as the enter hole and it clogged there would be no where for it to overflow. Then this could possibly overflow your display. I tested it out for a few days before posting and no way to flood your display or sump.

Here is a clearer picture of the drain line being smaller than the top of the tube. http://s915.photobucket.com/user/Lwnman/media/Snapbucket/60316CD5.jpg.html'>60316CD5.jpg

this will make it easier to run chemical filtration as well. you could sit a bag of carbon or phos or whatever on top of the floss.. I might do this soon..

you need to sell this idea to inTank, so he can make laser cut acrylic versions with racks in them.. that'd be sick..

this will make it easier to run chemical filtration as well. you could sit a bag of carbon or phos or whatever on top of the floss.. I might do this soon..
I would toss in my media bag then a handfull of floss. The water exits thru the bottom holes so it is forced thru the media and drains out the holes into the sump. Total cost 10 dollars for PVC. I had the paint already.

When I was making it my wife said is that a potato launcher. Lmao

Since there are no media baskets for sumps this is a great idea.

It is a great idea. Although there are no sump-specific media baskets, I got one from Steve that is designed for an Innovative Marine and it works really well for me in my sump. I considered making something myself but 3 months later when I was still considering making something I decided to buy it! I also hate filter socks. I think the sock pulled out more junk than the floss in my case but I can take that if I don't have the sock related hassles!

It is a great idea. Although there are no sump-specific media baskets, I got one from Steve that is designed for an Innovative Marine and it works really well for me in my sump. I considered making something myself but 3 months later when I was still considering making something I decided to buy it! I also hate filter socks. I think the sock pulled out more junk than the floss in my case but I can take that if I don't have the sock related hassles!
I was going to buy a IM basket from Steve as well. But I only needed something to hold filter floss. On a different note I can tell you IM makes a AWESOME reactor. Best reactor I have ever owned if you find yourself ever needing one. ;)

On a different note I can tell you IM makes a AWESOME reactor. Best reactor I have ever owned if you find yourself ever needing one. ;)

I have one! :D

jedimasterben

Lawnman, I have some serious bro-love for you right now, this is exactly what I'm needing! Totally building one tonight!

A little off the topic here but I noticed you are using the IM mini max reactor, how do you like it? I am thinking of getting one for my tank and would like to hear some feed back before pulling the trigger. This is an awesome idea btw, when I set up my larger tank I will be stealing this idea rather than dealing with nasty filter socks.

A little off the topic here but I noticed you are using the IM mini max reactor, how do you like it? I am thinking of getting one for my tank and would like to hear some feed back before pulling the trigger. This is an awesome idea btw, when I set up my larger tank I will be stealing this idea rather than dealing with nasty filter socks.
Best reactor ever made IMO. I could go on and on but there are videos on Marine Depot. All I will say is good luck finding the bigger one like I have. They are sold out everywhere with 3-6 weeks of waiting time.

I bet this is quiet, too, with the outlet below the water line!
I can't hear mine with my head right next to it.

I am considering the smaller one since I just have the 30 gallon nuvo but if I can get my hands on the bigger one why not ya know, go big or go home. Thanks for your input man.

I am considering the smaller one since I just have the 30 gallon nuvo but if I can get my hands on the bigger one why not ya know, go big or go home. Thanks for your input man.
I have the bigger one and might sell it. Because I want a total of 3 reactors. I only have room for 2 big ones in my sump. BUT I can fit 3 of the smaller ones.
jedimasterben

So I made mine, and within one hour it was overflowing. Filter floss was still clean except fir the top inch or so.

Archived