Coral Vue Hydros

50g Zeovit Tank....

Funkateer_1

The Burgess is amazing. No disease issues and very mellow. He is however not cool with coral. He nips most SPS and has recently acquired a taste for my Varga Cespitchularia i've been growing. I might have to take him out soon.

Distichipora is also known as fire coral. I've found it to be easy to keep alive, but very slow growing. Its an NPS all things considered.

That sucks, are you planning for a good replacement?

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im thinking about swapping him for a stripy chub. Same color and shape, more reef safe. Id love to add another angel, but idk if itll get along with the flames. A toby pair would be cool too. I had a pair of valentiniis I paired up but they sold

Well I usually post updates and pictures every tuesday so here I go...

Noticed some poor color on some of my newer pieces. Parameters were where they should be so I was stumped. I heard there might be a little coral eating critter going around so I didn't take any chances. Also the one interceptor I had was gonna expire soon anyways.

9bg0te.jpg

Interceptor coral snow slurry in!

16c2a2s.jpg

dq16xi.jpg

My little girl got spayed today :( she decides to sleep right in front of my tank

15pfurp.jpg

Finally a picture where there are fish swimming around.

Here were some gems I picked up on Monday from the importers

30mtgsk.jpg
Male Crosshatch Trigger
2re5cg3.jpg
Bennett's Butterflyfish
23hsrk6.jpg
Electric Stingray
2a65ap0.jpg
Tassled Wobbegong

They all look nice but that trigger- awesome!

Thanks, he didn't last long. Crosshatches of any size are very rare nowadays. They gave me an offer I couldn't refuse on it. It sold for $600. All of the pictures have sold except for the wobbly. He's eating well but man does he have some teeth. Almost took the tongs right out of my hands.

As for the tank, I did a 2nd interceptor treatment today and will follow up with a 15 gallon water change later today. I have been combating poor color and STN on some of the pieces, positive ID confirmed the new infamous acro eating pods that have been popping around the trade. I am the 4th or 5th tank in San Diego to have these little devils. I think they are coming from wild collected colonies so buyers beware!!!

And a few pictures of the other animals. I feel like i'm living in a zoo...

lol my wife says the same thing to me as I have a 220 viv 150gallon viv and my new tank i'm setting up plus my great dance and our cat

Acro eating pods? Do you have have a link discussing them or pics of the ones you have?

Yup. You see poor color, STN from the base, then actual dead skeleton has erosion like its been chewed up. An owner of a local coral farm confirmed the pest visually. They seem to be very intolerant to interceptor (suprise suprise). They didn't hit most of my acros, just a few that clearly weren't happy.

http://reefbuilders.com/2014/09/24/observations-unknown-acropora-copepod-parasite/

Check out reefbuilders. They had a article on it.

Yup. You see poor color, STN from the base, then actual dead skeleton has erosion like its been chewed up. An owner of a local coral farm confirmed the pest visually. They seem to be very intolerant to interceptor (suprise suprise). They didn't hit most of my acros, just a few that clearly weren't happy.

http://reefbuilders.com/2014/09/24/observations-unknown-acropora-copepod-parasite/

Hmm, interesting. I saw that article on reef builders and that is why i asked to see if what you had was similar/the same to what they saw. In general I am skeptical of reports of disease/pests due to inexperience and the lack of equipment among hobbyists necessary to accurately identify them. More reports of different kinds of "red bugs" is interesting. I will have to watch what goes into my tank even more I guess.

At least it appears that coral dips are effective against them.

Hmm, interesting. I saw that article on reef builders and that is why i asked to see if what you had was similar/the same to what they saw. In general I am skeptical of reports of disease/pests due to inexperience and the lack of equipment among hobbyists necessary to accurately identify them. More reports of different kinds of "red bugs" is interesting. I will have to watch what goes into my tank even more I guess.

At least it appears that coral dips are effective against them.

A melafix dip in a black bowl with magnifying glass confirmed the dead pods. They are small and white but fell off the inflicted colonies by the hundreds. We do not have a mesoscope or anything to see the critters up close but the bodies and damage to the corals point to the pods. Fellow reefers were thinking it was some sort of bacterial infection because of the tissue loss and lack of visible parasites (I can spot a red bug or AEFW a mile away).

I still think they came from the wild, this craze of Aussie SPS from new collection sites can lead to new pests we haven't seen before. Im gonna text my friend to see if he has pictures. Luckily, they can be managed just like red bugs can. They seem to be slow and it can quickly reversed, unlike AEFW which will tear up a coral in days.

2efn5l3.jpg

Brief update. I have been slowly removing my coarse gravel, it is a nutrient trap and seems to be making bubble algae go berserk on my rocks. I siphoned all but a thin layer, I may take it all out completely and run bare bottom.

• 2 weeks later...

whjhvm.jpg

1jqdz4.jpg

2zgyn2e.jpg

Colors doing better, bubble algae slowly going away thanks to a foxface and about 10 emerald crabs. Just dosing start, bak, and sponge power to see if I can help the colors bounce back.

2eyvznp.jpg

Another day, another tank move.... last time I moved it across the house, this time im moving it a few miles to my new house. I have more than enough water made up and buckets ready. Should be less painful than last time.

15pfurp.jpg

Finally a picture where there are fish swimming around.

Here were some gems I picked up on Monday from the importers

30mtgsk.jpg

Male Crosshatch Trigger

2re5cg3.jpg

Bennett's Butterflyfish

23hsrk6.jpg

Electric Stingray

2a65ap0.jpg

Tassled Wobbegong

Wow those are some nice fish. You work at a fish store?

Are those butterfly's good eaters?

Wow those are some nice fish. You work at a fish store? Are those butterfly's good eaters?

Thanks, I do work at fish store. Everything in those pictures has sold. The Bennetts was a very picky eater. We got him on de-shelled cockle and eventually mysis.

Move went very well. Everything's all hooked up but the dosing pump and halides. Im gonna give the tank a few days to settle before turning them back on.

Move went very well. Everything's all hooked up but the dosing pump and halides. Im gonna give the tank a few days to settle before turning them back on.

So did you go bare bottom? I am considering it for a future build- just can't seem to commit to it but I really like how they look

So did you go bare bottom? I am considering it for a future build- just can't seem to commit to it but I really like how they look

Haha naw. I was going to but I wimped out at the last minute. I did siphon out a good amount though. I'm about 1/2" across the whole tank now.

Haha naw. I was going to but I wimped out at the last minute. I did siphon out a good amount though. I'm about 1/2" across the whole tank now.

Ya ,that's how I think it will go for me- gotta research it a little more- post up some pics when it's ready

Seasoned Zeovit corals are healthy and do well when challenged with moves like this. Well done.

Thanks, Zeo helped. Everything bounced back and parameters are completely on point.

Archived