Pod Your Reef

Reef Octopus NS80 Hang-On Nano Skimmer

lindubz

What do you guys think of me getting a Reef Octopus NS80 Hang-On Nano Skimmer for my 10 gallon nano? Do you think it'd need it or would it be over-kill? I have an AquaClear filter that already does a really good job. Also I am upgrading to a 20 gallon long tank this fall. Should I just wait to get a skimmer for when I get that tank set up?

• 2 weeks later...

Do you intend to keep sps and feed heavily? if not then I would wait. Weekly water changes will take care of things for awhile unless you feed heavily daily.

Like I said I have one and it skims like a beast. East to clean cup needle wheel pump its a great little skimmer.

great to hear because I bought one and it should be coming in the mail tomorrow :-)

Do you intend to keep sps and feed heavily? if not then I would wait. Weekly water changes will take care of things for awhile unless you feed heavily daily.

I have polyps and soft corals and yeah i do feed my fish and soft corals pretty heavily, although I have been trying to cut back. Anyway, I bought the skimmer so I'll let you know how it goes :-)

great to hear because I bought one and it should be coming in the mail tomorrow :-)

I have polyps and soft corals and yeah i do feed my fish and soft corals pretty heavily, although I have been trying to cut back. Anyway, I bought the skimmer so I'll let you know how it goes :-)

Cool. Yea lets is know how the skimmate looks like. I'm thinking of switching to the BH100 myself.

• 2 weeks later...
oscarcolino2710

i have the same one but it makes a lot of micro bubbles if you know how to stop it for doing let me know thanks

• 2 months later...

I know it's an older thread but I use one in the skimmer chamber of my nano cube 28 and put a small bit of blue/white filter pad in front of the outlet pipe. No more bubbles. And dark skim. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I got mine in the first compartment of my 24 nano cube and it fits nicely with one of the stock sponges under it, i no longer use the stock hood but it would definitely work with the hood, plus the sponge stops any micro bubbles trying to escape B)

does anyone know if this fits in the fuge compartment of the IM 16?

I found this might help http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/330070-new-reef-octopus-ns80-skimmer-on-nuvo-16-microbubbles-issue/

• 2 months later...

I'm new to this saltwater forum and just received a NS-80 today. Collection cup keeps filling up with water. Directions show a valve on the skimmer body for regulating water flow but there is none on mine. What is the secret to keeping the skimmer cup only collecting skimmed stuff?

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

baldrick, I think it says HOB on bulkreefsupply. I just saw a couple of youtube vids and one shows it in what looks like an aquaclear 70. looks interesting. going to have to research it a bit more

• 1 month later...

I know it's kinda an old thread here, but what's the verdict on this? I can't find a decent review that goes indepth anywhere online, everywhere seems to say it's good and works, but no one has an actually detailed review of it.

Its a good skimmer. I just replaced mine however. The plastic casing around the motor cracked so after having it a year or so and for $40 I replaced it with an aqua euro nano skimmer which works well too. The reef octopus micro bubbled too,so I put a small piece of poly floss in front of the outlet pipe to solve the issue.

I like mine a lot. I use the drain plug and drain into a jar because the cup is WAY too small otherwise. I get dark tea colored skimmate. I could probably get darker but havent adjusted since getting it. the hanging brackets give many options for height placement and tank glass/frame thickness. I have a cad lights pls-50 at work and like that one as well, but it has no drain plug and this little guy gives great results so I dont think ill change it till it konks out on me.

tldr: great skimmer great price

edit:spelling

I like mine a lot. I use the drain plug and drain into a jar because the cup is WAY too small otherwise. I get dark tea colored skimmate. I could probably get darker but havent adjusted since getting it. the hanging brackets give many options for height placement and tank glass/frame thickness. I have a cad lights pls-50 at work and like that one as well, but it has no drain plug and this little guy gives great results so I dont think ill change it till it konks out on me.

tldr: great skimmer great price

edit:spelling

Thanks! Would I definitely need an ATO for it to work properly? I top off 2x per day by hand currently.

Nanofreak79

A consistent water level is needed for any skimmer to properly skim at the same efficiency. If you tune in your skimmer to a certain water level and it changes, you have problems with the tuning you had already set.

Archived