inTank Media Baskets

Shallow³ Pico S II - Now Cycling

llab.yroc

Simplicity..

h7UTIza.jpg

The idea of this tank is minimalism. The plan is to have a very simple scape consisting of 2-3 islands focusing mainly on high end zoas, a couple mated pairs of sexy shrimp, acan's, rics.. There are some other stocking ideas for coral, but things change quickly so its all really still in the planning process. This will be a fish-free system.

System:
Tank - PicO Aquariums - Pico II S
Lighting - AI Nano w/ New Controller
Flow - Tunze Silence 1073.008
Heater - Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm 50w
Top Off - Tunze Nano Osmolator

5/14/13 - The tank has arrived, gone thru and passed a leak test, and will begin its cycle within the next day or two.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aww yeah. I really like the dimensions of the PicO S II - fits on almost any ikea furniture. One day I will put an entire garden of red/green majanos & a mantis in one and keep it near the front door for guests to look at.

Welcome to the club, Cory! What are your plans for lighting, livestock, filtration, etc?

Its funny you mention Ikea furniture, I drove my wife to Chicago this weekend and surprised her with an Ikea trip to break the news I was buying another tank :ninja: and to pick up a new stand.

As far as livestock, I'm still really undecided.. I know I really love the look of group of sexy shrimp, and possibly a yasha goby.. But I also feel like thats been done over and over. Lots of zoas/acans -- a duncan maybe, I have some sps frags from my biocube I need to move out so possibly some ORA sps frags after a few good months of being setup.

Its still a big (or tiny) work in progress in my mind.

I know Ill be going with a AI Nano Sol - with a new controller, and I already have a spare Mp10W laying around so I may aswell throw that in. Maybe a RKL later. A nano glow on the fuge w/ some cheato as well as the typical media basket setup of chemipure elite and possibly purigen.. I guess I'm not super familiar with this tank's media basket tho -- we'll see ;)

All in all I'm stoked to finally have bought one of these tanks, I have been drooling over them for about a year.

Yours is really looking great!

Thanks for looking at my tank! I can't wait to get some Rics in it.

You have plenty of time to think about livestock - so no real rush. An ORA SPS dominated PicO would look amazing, though.

Post a picture of the stand once you put it together!

oqAys8e.jpg

Newly assembled (possible) stand. I like it, but I am keep my options open. Id like to possibly do a DIY goose neck style mount to hang the nano from, or the ext rail style system.

Looks good! I have a few of those Expedit bookcases that we use around the house. Really affordable! Should hold the weight of the PicO no problem. Just have to keep ontop of any water spills so it doesn't peel the facade. I would recommend an aquarium mat still, of course.

If you figure out a good way to mount the Nano on a gooseneck let me know and show a step-by-step of the DIY! I really like the look of goosenecks, and it would be a great option for a lot of users here. AFAIK you will have to modify the EXT Rail system as it is not made for the Nano (fits Sol and Vega,) but rbaby made a great looking rail out of 80/20 for her nano if you want to check it out.

• 4 weeks later...

yaS75P4.jpg

vr3HruL.jpg

YBgVpJt.jpg

2HMFEl9.jpg

4iu7Tw9.jpg

V86nuxQ.jpg

BFNz0nb.jpg

VxGXSbr.jpg

J1KCi1S.jpg

Leak testing now, and tomorrow it will be moved to its stand and begin its cycle. What an awesome tank! I had a bit of a breakdown when the UPS truck pulled up and sat there for about 10 mins, and then started up and began to drive away -- I yelled, and it stopped, apparently the giant box was too hard to find on the truck and the lady was just going to bring it tomorrow... I walked onto the truck and pointed it out immediately, as it was the biggest box on the truck... Glad it made it safe, now tonight I'm off to get some sand and salt mix, and will be picking up some nice live rock this weekend. I would pick it up tonight, but all my LFS's live rock is infested with majano terribly so I will make the hour drive to get some proper stuff.

I decided to scrap the idea of using my spare Mp10, and to go with a stronger return instead. I sort of thought it made the tank look too packed with stuff, and it also looked just like every other pico tank on here. I instead ordered a Eheim 1000 today and from what I can tell it should fit without much of a problem -- so fingers crossed it squeezes back there and does not cause any temp issues. I feel like it should be a fine amount of flow for what I'm trying to achieve and if I turn out needing more --well I always have a spare Mp10.. I grabbed a tunze nano ATO as well to get pretty much everything taken care of as far as equipment, I just have to grab the AI controller and I'm set. I'm considering the Zeo line of additives, but am still undecided as I don't know if I'll need all that. Tank gets moved to its permanent home later on today, and then starts it cycle.

I actually had to dial back my return pump, it was making craters in the sand at the front of the tank (since it's so shallow). I'd also like to note that I'm using pretty coarse sand and that didn't stop it from blowing around.

Edit: I'm also considering dosing some zeo additives so let us know if you decide to go that route.

Lol, at least 3 more. Who knows how many will actually make it in :)

I say you stuff that bad boy untill it can not hold any more... then you go bigger

I say you stuff that bad boy untill it can not hold any more... then you go bigger

Lol this tank has to last me for a while (upgrade wise), so im in no rush :)

Lol this tank has to last me for a while (upgrade wise), so im in no rush :)

yea but all those corals you find.

I was talking to David and he said he ordered a shipment direct from Bali of sps. 35$ a pop. Right when it comes out the box you swoop it...

Archived