Pod Your Reef

NanoTopia's ADA 30c [ FLIR ]

NanoTopia

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

16032076438_562a6588a0_c.jpg

Man, it hurts my brain that the best picture of my tank still looks like crap compared to this picture of a syringe :lol:

Man, it hurts my brain that the best picture of my tank still looks like crap compared to this picture of a syringe :lol:

Dont feel to bad, I paid for a product photographer but these photos are much better! :P

Thanks so much for sharing all that NanoTopia!

Great photos

My pleasure Neill, this is product of the year for me, thanks for making this pump available to hobbyists!

I will definitely be picking one of these up for carbon dosing soon. Thanks for the write up.

Awesome, love to see what you do with it. :)

LOL, thanks Ben :)

Dont feel to bad, I paid for a product photographer but these photos are much better! :P

That's a very nice complement Neill, thank you. Let me know if you need any shots in particular. Always happy to help spread the word on this great product.

Update on the Nano Doser 1.

The second Nano Doser I have been testing (3mL syringe) is complete as of 0741h today. So at 0741h, exactly 24 hours from the start, the doser has just reached 0.0mL, perfect, has to be much less than +/-1% error. Amazing but to be expected, I just like to test everything that goes on my tank these days :)

So now I have to think about how and where I will mount this pump on this 7 gallon tank. As you may recall, things are a tad tight when it comes to real estate in the sump areas of this build. I will have to get creative with this, luckily the pump is small so I am confident it can be done. I will be posting some pictures soon on this.

Update on the tank in General:

One of the things we tend to do as aquarists is over react. When we see something going terribly wrong with our tanks, or algae settling in and nutrients rising, we tend go full out with all the nutrient absorbers, bio-pellets, carbon dosing, water changes, and what ever it takes to get it all under control. I'm guilty of this. This over reaction usually leads to stripping too much nutrients from the tank. If this goes unnoticed we end up with a whole new set of problems to deal with.

A few months ago I noticed corals not looking so good, I tested and found that the nutrients had risen to astronomical levels. So, I put the AIO Bio-Pellets in along with GFO. A month later things were looking pretty good, nutrients under control and corals looking better. Not long after corals started to loose some colour and not open. I tested and found that nutrients were too low so I took half the Pellets out and all the GFO out, and did more feeding. Slowly things started to improve again, corals looking fat and colours coming back.

So I just wanted to point out that this over reaction to nutrients and algae has a tendency to put us on a teeter-totter ride before we find the balance with a new tank. If your not observant enough you might miss the important signs that indicate disaster is looming. I guess the trick is to stay observant and vigilant with nano tanks because things tend to happen faster the smaller the volume of water is. Today, all the products we have at our fingertips to help control nutrients work pretty well, sometimes too well. Patience is the key when tackling a nutrient issue, use much less of the products than you think you need and give it some time. Balancing nutrients with nutrient control is the hardest thing with nano tanks, I am still learning :)

Oh, and I wanted to post a pic of my new screen top I installed a couple of months ago, I realize I never got a photo of it, I'll get one today and post it.

So here is the Screen Top as promised, before and after. Also the Nano Box LED looking sleek and beautiful as always :)

16036050010_940f74ee72_c.jpg

15601211274_50f7b5a8ae_c.jpg

I have mounted the second "Nano Doser" to this tank now. As you well know, there is not much available room left to do this with. I managed to find some available space near the ATO reservoir, actually on the door across from the reservoir. This I think works out pretty well since there is little to no humidity or salt spray like there is higher up in the sump area. So, I guess I need another doser to dose two part with this tank (ALK/Ca), for now I am content with the alkalinity portion. The tank doesn't use a whole lot of elements so I should be fine with the 30mL syringe and it should last a week at least. I just have to pick up some Brightwell's Alkalin8.3 liquid Alk then I will start dosing!

I made an acrylic plate and attached it to the door.
16241748985_56ace5c2e8_c.jpg

I figured Velcro would be the best route to go for mounting these dosers, it would be secure and allow for easy removal and positioning.
16241924235_5f9922a859_c.jpg

I cut out a piece to fit on the back... sorry Neill, I had to cover up your "Saltwater-Conversion" logo :rolleyes:

16054382448_97c3082c03_c.jpg

16241922555_c2079a9f6d_c.jpg

So here it is, not more than an inch to spare :D
16055885727_5866d71a1c_c.jpg

15621871533_cb7c7a4a47_c.jpg

15621863853_8aee48a926_c.jpg

I think there are many possibilities for mounting these dosers since the foot print is quite small. If you mount them similar to the way I did it note that the bigger syringes do not end up flush with the back surface so a spacer may be needed, in my case the industrial Velcro provided just enough extra space.

Hi Christine, couple of questions.

On the screen top, did you use window screen and frame? If so, the joints that put the frame together only insert one way. How did you get them to insert the other way to look so seamless? If you're using something other than window screen frame, let me know.

The dosers look perfect on the cabinet door. I'm currently using the same velcro to hold vortec control panels and they are so strong, that it is very hard to pry the controllers off. Is that a worry for the nanodoser for you?

Also, the acrylic plate gives a nice frame around the dosers, why didn't you opt to put them directly on the wall?

Thanks

Kat

Nice tank.

Thank you :)

That worked out nice Christine. I like the cable management where did you get it?

Thanks, these little cable holders were bought at a computer/electronics store. They are called "Cable Drop", heres the link : http://www.houzz.com/photos/145974/CableDrop-modern-cable-management :)

Hi Christine, couple of questions.

On the screen top, did you use window screen and frame? If so, the joints that put the frame together only insert one way. How did you get them to insert the other way to look so seamless? If you're using something other than window screen frame, let me know.

The dosers look perfect on the cabinet door. I'm currently using the same velcro to hold vortec control panels and they are so strong, that it is very hard to pry the controllers off. Is that a worry for the nanodoser for you?

Also, the acrylic plate gives a nice frame around the dosers, why didn't you opt to put them directly on the wall?

Thanks

Kat

Hi Kat,

The screen itself is that artificial crinolin meshy stuff used in sewing. I like it because it has a good size hole and is fairly durable but you do need to take some care with it.

The frame is custom made using polystyrene and the crinoline is attached using epoxy.

The acrylic plate is partly for effect Kat, but it also helps keep the Velcro attached as I don't trust the rough paint surface on the door itself.

I find the doser comes off pretty easy when pulled. No issues there. I should only have to take them off to change the battery once/twice a year. I can change out a syringe with it attached to the door.

Kat, you have to pick up a couple of these dosers, they are really useful for small doses. Now with your bigger tank I imagine you will be dosing larger quantities of elements but maybe for trace elements or carbon dosing?

:)

I have mounted the second "Nano Doser" to this tank now. As you well know, there is not much available room left to do this with. I managed to find some available space near the ATO reservoir, actually on the door across from the reservoir. This I think works out pretty well since there is little to no humidity or salt spray like there is higher up in the sump area. So, I guess I need another doser to dose two part with this tank (ALK/Ca), for now I am content with the alkalinity portion. The tank doesn't use a whole lot of elements so I should be fine with the 30mL syringe and it should last a week at least. I just have to pick up some Brightwell's Alkalin8.3 liquid Alk then I will start dosing!

I made an acrylic plate and attached it to the door.

16241748985_56ace5c2e8_c.jpg

I figured Velcro would be the best route to go for mounting these dosers, it would be secure and allow for easy removal and positioning.

16241924235_5f9922a859_c.jpg

I cut out a piece to fit on the back... sorry Neill, I had to cover up your "Saltwater-Conversion" logo :rolleyes:

16054382448_97c3082c03_c.jpg

16241922555_c2079a9f6d_c.jpg

So here it is, not more than an inch to spare :D

16055885727_5866d71a1c_c.jpg

15621871533_cb7c7a4a47_c.jpg

15621863853_8aee48a926_c.jpg

I think there are many possibilities for mounting these dosers since the foot print is quite small. If you mount them similar to the way I did it note that the bigger syringes do not end up flush with the back surface so a spacer may be needed, in my case the industrial Velcro provided just enough extra space.

Nice, very clean and organized! :)

I just received two "Nano Doser 1" syringe dosers from Saltwater-Conversion in Australia and all I can say is OMG WOW!

I love gadgets but I love gadgets that are purposeful and good quality even more.

I am going to be testing these beauties over the next few days and getting a feel for them as well. All I can say at the unboxing stage is I am very impressed. I am a nurse (semi-retired) so I am no stranger to equipment like this but it is the first time I hold these particular pumps in my hand so let the learning begin.

Stay tuned for more updates as I put these to the test. I am hopeful they will be the inexpensive and accurate nano dosing solution I have been hunting for for both this tank and my other 20 gallon tank. However, as some might know, I am very critical of all equipment I use on my tanks so I am approaching this with a bit of scepticism as well.

Here are some unboxing photo's:

16182142116_450746fc68_c.jpg

16207204392_eb4c1a7480_c.jpg

16208014685_23d9ccc70d_c.jpg

16020659250_0c4c87c19d_c.jpg

16022198757_bbb895a76f_c.jpg

More to come...

yes they are great indeed. I have them too

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you :)

Thanks, these little cable holders were bought at a computer/electronics store. They are called "Cable Drop", heres the link : http://www.houzz.com/photos/145974/CableDrop-modern-cable-management :)

Hi Kat,

The screen itself is that artificial crinolin meshy stuff used in sewing. I like it because it has a good size hole and is fairly durable but you do need to take some care with it.

The frame is custom made using polystyrene and the crinoline is attached using epoxy.

The acrylic plate is partly for effect Kat, but it also helps keep the Velcro attached as I don't trust the rough paint surface on the door itself.

I find the doser comes off pretty easy when pulled. No issues there. I should only have to take them off to change the battery once/twice a year. I can change out a syringe with it attached to the door.

Kat, you have to pick up a couple of these dosers, they are really useful for small doses. Now with your bigger tank I imagine you will be dosing larger quantities of elements but maybe for trace elements or carbon dosing?

:)

I got one, have been travelling so have not set it up. I'm considering potassium dosing with it.

I got one, have been travelling so have not set it up. I'm considering potassium dosing with it.

Fantastic!

Let me know if you need any help with it :)

FLIR Thermal Image of the NanoBox LED

Just interesting to see the operating temperature and hot spots using FLIR technology. New Toy :)

15837657404_2c98ddaef9_o.jpg

16273947979_6ce87a4ac0_o.jpg

Very cool! Did you pick up the phone reader style?

Also the plastic cover over your ATO, DIY project?

-Dave

Yes, FLIR One, a bit glitchy but fun to play with nonetheless.

The cover is DIY white acrylic.

your tank is so inspiring =). I read in your TOTM article that you dose zeovit additives and i am hoping you can answer a few questions for me. I bought zeovit nano power recently after I added a red sponge from KP Aquatics to my Spec V. The instruction for Sponge Power is 1 drop per 25 gallons, but what are you dosing for your 7 gallon tank? Do you dilute the drop and throw away a portion of it?

Archived