Cultivated Reef

NanoTopia's ADA 30c [ FLIR ]

NanoTopia

Oh no......not another fabulous tank from that girlie way up north!

Seriously, I love this idea. Imo, I'd make the stand a few inches wider and longer and put a nice piece of granite or marble or something nice under the tank. Also, you can never have too much room underneath.....especially you Christine! :)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hear ya, I like black also, by the time the Razor comes out in Canada it will be Christmas so if I go that route I will be ordering it from the USA.

Reefing costs 40% more in Canada than the USA, but it's worth every penny :)

Ugh, I hear ya. A sad truth. I may have found a solution for you, check pm ;)

Oh no......not another fabulous tank from that girlie way up north!

Seriously, I love this idea. Imo, I'd make the stand a few inches wider and longer and put a nice piece of granite or marble or something nice under the tank. Also, you can never have too much room underneath.....especially you Christine! :)

Haha, yes more room = more money on toys to fit in it, not good. I am waaaaaay over budget already on this build !

Ugh, I hear ya. A sad truth. I may have found a solution for you, check pm ;)

Thanks, got it :)

Did a drawing with a white finish and Ai Nano LED, I like the look, modern, clean, really stands out (no pun intended) :)

Let me know what you think

I like the white stand, it's very modern. :) Are you painting it or using a veneer?

Sheesh Christine....I stay away from NR for a few days and there you go all OCD! :D

Couldn't stay away from the tanks now, could you?.................. I know the feeling :)

The ADA tanks have some FINE finishing. Are you gonna receive the tank pre-drilled? I'd be scared to do it myself.

I like the white stand, it's very modern. :) Are you painting it or using a veneer?

Thanks sunburn, I am still considering the veneer at this point, had a look at some products yesterday, the white veneer (if I go white theme) looks cheap and I don't like the finish it comes in, looks hard to work with. I am thinking wood veneer (I have worked with this before), then painted white, then 3-4 coats of clear varnish. You would see the grain in the wood through the white paint but the clear coats would make it glossy and smooth. I would use marine paint in the inside for moisture control. In fact I would like to seal the inside to protect it.

Sheesh Christine....I stay away from NR for a few days and there you go all OCD! :D

Couldn't stay away from the tanks now, could you?.................. I know the feeling :)

The ADA tanks have some FINE finishing. Are you gonna receive the tank pre-drilled? I'd be scared to do it myself.

Bello you are right, I have a disease, it eats away at my bank account and takes all my spare time, there is no known cure :D

Yes I will drill it myself, I have drilled glass before on a few occasions, yes it is scary, but I live for this kind of fear, the sweat dripping off my forehead helps keep the diamond bit lubricated, LOL. Piece of cake, if it goes bad you can quote this post and laugh :)

Actually I don't trust people to do much these days, 9 times out of 10 I can do a better job and it costs less. I am no fool though, when I know it's beyond my scope I pay the money and have the peace of mind.

Glad to have you along Bello, stay tuned...

Laugh at you?? I don't have many rules in my life, but one them is "Thou shalt not mess with woman who hold the power tools"!!

Should've known to trust the DIY Queen :)!

As far as going broke with this hobby, I've been looking at my expenses and wondering why I'm spending soo much on tiny fuzzy sticks... but if not this, could always be something far worse :). And for now, my lil 8 month old son loves the fish tank, so that'll do!

Deleted User 4

Hey there Christine,

Another thing to consider is this light by jbj, perfect for the 30c...I'm just not sure if it's capable of sustaining beautiful sps (your main goal). But the light does come in white and is easy on the wallet.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewitem.aspx?idproduct=JB00802&child=JB00802&utm_source=mdcseshopping2&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=mdcseshopping2&utm_content=JB00802

OMG! :omgomgomg: I have this disease too, Christine. The symptoms are exactly the same except mine involves obsessive compulsive thoughts of corals and fish. Is it terminal?!

Bello you are right, I have a disease, it eats away at my bank account and takes all my spare time, there is no known cure :D

Laugh at you?? I don't have many rules in my life, but one them is "Thou shalt not mess with woman who hold the power tools"!!

Should've known to trust the DIY Queen :)!

As far as going broke with this hobby, I've been looking at my expenses and wondering why I'm spending soo much on tiny fuzzy sticks... but if not this, could always be something far worse :). And for now, my lil 8 month old son loves the fish tank, so that'll do!

LOL, your doing the right thing 100%, that tank will be not only your inspiration but your sons down the road. You are right, there are far worse things to spend your money on. There is a theory in psychology proposed by A. Maslow back in the 1940's, he came up with a model showing humans hierarchy of needs, "Maslow's hierarchy of needs", perhaps you have heard of this, it is well studied. I think keeping reef aquaria falls in at the "Esteem" level, but it is only possible if the below levels are met first. Reefing is really only a disease if it interferes with those "below levels", otherwise it can be a component part of a healthy life for you and your family :)

Hey there Christine,

Another thing to consider is this light by jbj, perfect for the 30c...I'm just not sure if it's capable of sustaining beautiful sps (your main goal). But the light does come in white and is easy on the wallet.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewitem.aspx?idproduct=JB00802&child=JB00802&utm_source=mdcseshopping2&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=mdcseshopping2&utm_content=JB00802

I will have a look Solo, thanks :)

OMG! : omgomgomg: I have this disease too, Christine. The symptoms are exactly the same except mine involves obsessive compulsive thoughts of corals and fish. Is it terminal?!

I think that disease may have been too strong of a word, maybe disorder is better really. Something you can manage and live with throughout life despite it's challenges. The good news is you will live a long and healthy life, the bad news is you will suffer from this disorder until you die. LOL

Picked up the Do!Aqua 4 gallon cubes (ATO and Sump), Tunze Nano ATO and Pump yesterday along with wood for the stand, looks like I have a busy weekend ahead.

8663501398_68fc299c44_c.jpg
8663499242_637b1093a4_c.jpg

Thanks sunburn, I am still considering the veneer at this point, had a look at some products yesterday, the white veneer (if I go white theme) looks cheap and I don't like the finish it comes in, looks hard to work with. I am thinking wood veneer (I have worked with this before), then painted white, then 3-4 coats of clear varnish. You would see the grain in the wood through the white paint but the clear coats would make it glossy and smooth. I would use marine paint in the inside for moisture control. In fact I would like to seal the inside to protect it.

You may be able to shellac the wood to provide a glass smooth surface (with finish sanding) prior to painting. I've seen it done before and it looks great.

You may be able to shellac the wood to provide a glass smooth surface (with finish sanding) prior to painting. I've seen it done before and it looks great.

Thanks passaggper, something to consider, I have to do more research on finishing techniques, I am a good month away from finishing. Lots of work to do :happydance:

I've always admired the ADA tanks, but since I gravitate towards larger sizes, they get insanely expensive :). I must say that you've really invested in some quality there!

And thanks for the link to Maslow :). Didn't hear of him till now, but that proved to be a very interesting read. Psychology and the human brain fascinates me :D

Ha....Maslow....when I studied psychology, he was a young man.

Also, if reefiing was a hobby back then, I'm sure he would have included reefing just after food/shelter......:)

Yay, updates!!!How do you find the seams on the Do Aqua tanks?

My do aqua seams are the same as my 2 ada tanks seams.

Edit.

Actually a tiny bit more silicone is visible on the do aqua

I've always admired the ADA tanks, but since I gravitate towards larger sizes, they get insanely expensive :). I must say that you've really invested in some quality there!

And thanks for the link to Maslow :). Didn't hear of him till now, but that proved to be a very interesting read. Psychology and the human brain fascinates me :D

I'm going for quality these days, I just can't handle poor quality anymore :lol:

Yay, updates!!!

How do you find the seams on the Do Aqua tanks?

I haven't inspected them yet, still in the boxes, from what I can see they look flawless, remember, these are ATO reservoir and sump tanks only.

Ha....Maslow....when I studied psychology, he was a young man.

Also, if reefiing was a hobby back then, I'm sure he would have included reefing just after food/shelter...... :)

Agreed, ;)

I had a look at the Tunze 9002 the other day as I was planning to purchase it. I have never used this skimmer before, being a big fan of Tunze quality I naturally gravitated to the 9002 because of it's size and as mentioned the Tunze brand. After pulling the unit apart I was slightly surprised at the flimsy quality of the body of the skimmer, kind of a turn off for me I will admit. The body is black, I know to prevent algae from growing (wouldn't be an issue in my case anyway), which I think is a good idea but I really like to see what's going on in my skimmer. Adjustability of both the skimmer and air intake is limited from what I can see.

I am now reconsidering the Tunze 9002 for this build, not because it is a bad skimmer but rather because it may not be the best fit overall for my needs. I am now looking at (but not set on) the Innovative Marine #7201 desktop skimmer .

8666160998_90d5ccf116_n.jpg

I like the foot print, adjustability, clear body, and overall function of this skimmer, but I have not seen it in person or heard much about it from other reefers. I am also worried about micro bubbles in the sump as I may not have room for baffles.
I have my hands full at the moment with this build and other things in my life so DIY'ing a skimmer is not the route I wish to go.
If anyone has first hand experience with this skimmer I would greatly appreciate your input on what you think about it.
Christine :)

Did a little research and have come to realize that every nano skimmer is going to produce micro bubbles, I know I have had this experience in the past also. There is no perfect skimmer but upon further research I think the Innovative Marine Skimmer will work best despite it's micro bubble production. So I have designed a sump that I think will help solve any issues I may have with bubbles. the baffles should eliminated most if not all the micro bubbles coming from the skimmer and the overflow.

8667119358_45bb7d3083.jpg8666017575_22a74b9928.jpg
I think this should work just fine but feel free to offer any comments here :)

I went with the Innovative Marine Skimmer, none in Canada that I can find so another $$ BRS order :huh:

Archived