Top Shelf Aquatics

Dave's Fluval Edge - IN A NEW HOME AND DRILLED!

dmasterx1x

There's a thread on here but I wouldn't bother with it. I don't think I had any pics of it prior to taking the top off, though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dmasterx1x

Got a macro extension tube for my lens. Just trying it out.

14355627175_d10246045c.jpg

bubble anemone with porcelain crab

14169129097_b2a606b289.jpg

crab

14355628135_0ef64be390.jpg

shrimp eyes

14169035440_a9cd01915c.jpg

acan

14355624115_00d8f22bec.jpg

Had to pick that nem and crab up on my last viist to the lfs. Went there to return a fish, came back with those two and a Court jester goby.

Someone's all about pushing the limits huh :) ?!? That nem is sexy though !!

Looks like the extension tube is doing it's job !!

dmasterx1x

Someone's all about pushing the limits huh :) ?!? That nem is sexy though !!

Looks like the extension tube is doing it's job !!

Gotta keep advancing, right? Yeah the extension tube was a better buy (for me) than a $300 macro lens.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Muddy Waters

looking at the first posting and gear info, I see mention of a top and its failures, then below in the photos look like you made a nice looking screen top, do you mind sharing the particulars about it?

looks sorta like thin screen window framing with the corners cut on a 45.

great looking tank btw ;)

looking at the first posting and gear info, I see mention of a top and its failures, then below in the photos look like you made a nice looking screen top, do you mind sharing the particulars about it?

looks sorta like thin screen window framing with the corners cut on a 45.

great looking tank btw ;)

That's exactly what it is, only difference i the screen itself. my local hardware stores only have black screening made from metal. So i ordered the clear plastic stuff online. Forget the site but i'll post it when i find it again.

roger that, thanks ;)

Here you go. I'm using this stuff on two of my tanks and it's worked out great so far. I try to stretch it as much as i can when i attach it to the frame, gives a nice and professional look imo. The rest of the stuff you need to make on of these covers can be found at HD or Lowes. You need spline, frame, and a tool to press the spline into the frame (a flathead screwdriver works but is much slower than what they sell at the hardware store).

http://aquariumoverload.com/itemsforsale.html

OK! sorry i'm crazy busy at work and home. Not much has changed with my tanks though, basically just regular maintenance. I'll shoot some pics or a vid soon.

• 1 month later...

I'm back. Almost really screwed things up with this tank.. due to negligence.. Actually lost my hammer, sorta.... the soft tissue escaped the skeleton due to stress. My frogspawn was also slightly bleached. I. I managed to save what i could, and things are actually much better.

Of course i know what my issue was.. i would say i neglected to check all levels for almost a year, and started to slip on necessary maintenance. Hair algae started to build up, nitrates and phosphates started to go up. Instead of taking care of the things the right way, i went with reactionary solutions to keep things going. Started using "phosphate & nitrate removers" to get better levels. So early this week i noticed that my euphyllia were looking terrible. My hammer had shrunken to 1/3 of its size and started to look like it was gonna bail. Frogspawwn looked really pale and had some heads that just wouldn't open up anymore. Acans were shrunken as well, and even my mushrooms were actually receding (crazy right?). Tested everything and found that nitrates were at 10ppm and phosphates were around .20ppm.

Anyways, what i did was

1. take everything out of the tank (except fish),

2. separate corals and live rock in different containers, suck tank 80% of tank water out and put some in coral container, and the rest in live rock container.

3. add Coral RX to coral tank and Peroxide to live rock bucket to kill algae. Brush everything off live rock.

4. CLEAN SUMP- Replace "miracle Mud" in refugium, clean skimmer, sponges, remove any possible detritus that can exist.

5. CLEAN TANK - scrape walls, suck stuff from sand, add new sand (not sure why), clean powerheads.

6. New water

7. Rearrange rockwork (after letting peroxide-soaked water drip off) in tank and start putting corals back in.

8. Tank looks so fresh & so clean. Corals are definitely making a comeback. I don't know if the hammer will actually make it though. All that's left is the soft tissue that is now being kicked around the bottom of the tank. It looks like its inflating again. Anyone have success with euphyllia tissue re-establishing a skeleton again?

I'll have pics of the new look up soon.

Here's what we're looking at now. I guess this setup with everything in the middle will be a bit easier to manage.

14927179388_8f44d1bac3_c.jpg

Full tank shot. Notice how the right side of the frogspawn looks a biut paler than the left. I guess stress bleached it.

15090756476_79e9e5815f_c.jpg

Left Side

14927098230_ac83b04e4f_c.jpg

What remains of the poor hammer :( It just gets knocked around the bottom of the tank like that. Maybe i should try to secure it to a rock somehow..

14927060869_4e24dc9b3b_c.jpg

This nem is probably the only thing that didn't mind the crap it was put through in recent times. Very hardy little bastards they are.

Been a week now since everything was redone. Just did another water change prior to taking these pictures. All seems to be well. For now.

• 6 months later...

I'm back!

It's been a while, but the tank still lives on. Since my last update i've moved into my own home and have taken the tank along for the ride. The move was done in typical hurried fashion, and i lost about half of my corals because of it. Regardless, i've never lost the reef bug and still plan on keeping this tank going.

I managed to replace the syphon overflow by drilling a new overflow and return as well. Got a new skimmer sort of recently, and am still dialing it in. Waiting on the levels to get back to perfect so i can start re-stocking with new corals.

Here's some pics

16238900093_0d09468b65_z.jpg

latest fts

16672738799_de919a8643_z.jpg

closer shot

16238898393_02605b5f04_z.jpg

CADlights PLS-50 nano skimmer

16238896503_cec61bf471_z.jpg

right after i drilled the tank. yes, i managed to scratch up the glass a bit.. oh well

16651569397_4db169f4cf_z.jpg

screened overflow and return. i have since replaced the flat strainer with a conical one to get rid of the gurgling sound it used to make

16858871125_860a90bc27_z.jpg

new strainer

16833005446_82cdb4bc40_z.jpg

plumbing behind the tank

Yes, i did drill and plumb everything with livestock and water still in the tank. I really had no other options so decided to take a bit of a risk. Really wasn't that hard besides having to drill with one hand and spray water with another. The cleanup might have been the worst part :)

...more updates to come!

I'm having trouble keeping my water temp steady recently. Right now i using two Aqueon 50w (rated for up to 20gallon) heaters placed horizontally in two separate chambers in my sump. I originally had only one of them and it worked fine until i moved to the new place and drilled the tank. I'm guessing that the increased water flow i have now might have been too much for the single heater to handle, because my temps were like 72degrees. So i got another one of the aqueons to try to help the struggling one... but now i have some pretty extreme temp swings. My temps will go from 79 degrees all the way up to 84.4 within a day, and then back down to 78-79 the next day. House temps are 62 deg while i'm at work and 69 from 6pm to 11pm. I have both heaters set to about 81, and recently lowered to 79ish, but i still get those high temps. What would you guys do in my case? Should i take one of the heaters out and hope jost one will be enough, or maybe upgrade to a better quality/higher wattage heater instead?

CronicReefer

Maybe set one of your heaters on a timer to turn off while you have your house at a higher temp. Clearly two is needed when it is much colder but maybe not when it is warmer in the house. I really like the look of your tank as well, how it appears to be floating on the stand. I look forward to seeing you restock with corals as well :D.

Maybe set one of your heaters on a timer to turn off while you have your house at a higher temp. Clearly two is needed when it is much colder but maybe not when it is warmer in the house. I really like the look of your tank as well, how it appears to be floating on the stand. I look forward to seeing you restock with corals as well :D.

Hmm, didn't think of doing it that way. I have at least 2 timers laying around somewhere that i can mess with.

Yeah the tank really caught my eye with its unique design some years ago at my lfs, just had to have it.

High risk of being a dumb question here but how did you keep glass dust/shares from getting in the tank?

That's a normal question in my mind. I actually had a towel just laying on the water surface inside, which caught most of the gunk coming down.

pic dump

16875105926_4dacfc4674_z.jpg

LIghts with lime and cyan added

16899768932_fd96ee588e_z.jpg

fts. looking for difference in appearance with added light.

16713352288_1e2c94ee14_z.jpg

high and mighty

16280999433_da20b6b3f0_z.jpg

clowny

16693671947_e60aba2745_z.jpg

nem & shrimp

16713585390_69aff4e289_z.jpg

16899776042_624e4b0da2_z.jpg

against the current

Cameron6796

What's that last fish pictured. I want a plumbed edge but I'm to scared, do u have the back tower peace on or did u take it away.

What's that last fish pictured. I want a plumbed edge but I'm to scared, do u have the back tower peace on or did u take it away.

That is a type of trimma goby, i forget the exact name atm. No, i still have the black center piece in the back.. actually drilled it too, to get the plumbing to go through it. I was scared $%*less when drilling, but decided to wing it anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i went ahead and ordered a 75W Eheim Jager heater instead of playing around with the cheap petco heaters i had. It's been running for two days now and the temp hasn't changed more than .5 degrees afaik. Good buy indeed.

• 1 year later...

Archived