Cultivated Reef

Dave's Fluval Edge - IN A NEW HOME AND DRILLED!

dmasterx1x

I decided to rescape, but didn't try the euphyllia tree idea.. yet. Since i took most of my zoas and palys out i decided to make a rock wall of sorts along the back of the tank. This opened up the sand bed a bit, which i plan to stuff with acans and rics.

IMAG0155_zpswywr37bm.jpg

acans

IMAG0156_zpsqnqr9fw9.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ric's and acans don't get along well even the slightest :/ looks awesome though

Oh shoot! Didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up. I suppose i'll keep the ricordeas in my smaller tank.

I put up a poll. Need the community to help me decide what fish, if any i should add. I suppose this tank is rather healthy and i think this new scape opened up some swimming space, so i'd like to see what ya'll think about adding a 3rd or possible 4th fish to the mix. I WILL go with the most popular choice. Vote closes Friday, April 25th. Thanks for voting!

I loving so much watching this tank evolve !! This thing is looking awesome,keep up the work. I vote for the possum wrasse,such a cool little fish.

Cameron6796

I vote for a clown pair they are hardy and have so much personality... Anyway I'm so jealous of your euphylia growth can't wait to see what you do with the tree idea

I vote for a clown pair they are hardy and have so much personality... Anyway I'm so jealous of your euphylia growth can't wait to see what you do with the tree idea

I've had lone clowns in this tank and they've never fared well. One jumped when i ran topless, 2 disappeared overnight.. i actually think they ended up inside my mini maxi anem. I've seen that thing swallow an unlucky nassarius snail. That's why i listed a pair as a possibility... perhaps they'll do better together.

The tree idea is on hold while i mess around with my pico tank and finish up some other things i've been meaning to do for a while. I am also on the lookout for another addition to the euphyllia family, possibly a blue/teal hammer or a neon green torch.. OR both :)

Looks like 6 line wrasse is in the lead. Hopefully it doesn't get aggressive if i get one. It should have plenty of rock space to explore though, so i don't think it ought to get bothered by the presence of other fish.

I'm ok with that. My green clown goby was like that when i first got it. Now it thinks its a clownfish and acts like it owns all the corals it can sit on.

• 3 weeks later...
dmasterx1x

So one of the clowns was incessantly attacking the other(smaller) clown. At first i let it go, figuring it was establishing itself as the dominating one,,, but after a few weeks it seemed to have gotten worse. I decided to catch the sucker and put him in FISH JAIL! That's right... this is what happens when you're caught and found guilty of multiple counts of aggravated assault. Sentence: 3 days in fish jail. Let that be a lesson to all aggressive fish.

IMAG0238_zpsvimukdyy.jpg

Hahaha that's awesome.. I kinda wanna get some sort of setup like that to keep my clowns in when I have to dunk my hand in there a bit.

I know they can bite hard... But I just don't wanna disturb them as much with my big hands. They're tiny!

Hahahaha commit the crime,ya gotta do the time !!! That's too funny man.

Have you thought of maybe making a acrylic kinda of box with holes drilled in it and clear suction cups to keep the "jail" In the tank instead of a Tupperware container ? Although I'm sure it was a spur of the moment kinda thing lol.

dmasterx1x

Hahaha that's awesome.. I kinda wanna get some sort of setup like that to keep my clowns in when I have to dunk my hand in there a bit. I know they can bite hard... But I just don't wanna disturb them as much with my big hands. They're tiny!

It wasn't that easy to catch him either, i literally had to tire him out to get him netted. Basically just chased him around with the net til he gave up.

Hahahaha commit the crime,ya gotta do the time !!! That's too funny man.

Have you thought of maybe making a acrylic kinda of box with holes drilled in it and clear suction cups to keep the "jail" In the tank instead of a Tupperware container ? Although I'm sure it was a spur of the moment kinda thing lol.

Yes i have thought about something a little more dignified, but after seeing how nasty he was being last night i just wanted to act fast. Not fair to the other fish to be under stress like that.

Wow,that's crazy how mean some fish can be. When my brother n law had his 15 set up,our damsel was so mean,he'd torture our clown and keep him pinned behind the skimmer,and his fins and tail was all torn up from him nipping at him.

He was the nicest fish ever,you could stick your hand in the tank and he'd lay in the palm of your hand. Until the damsel caused him to jump ( I'm assuming ) and he went concrete surfing and one of the outside cats ate him.

dmasterx1x

Wow,that's crazy how mean some fish can be. When my brother n law had his 15 set up,our damsel was so mean,he'd torture our clown and keep him pinned behind the skimmer,and his fins and tail was all torn up from him nipping at him.

He was the nicest fish ever,you could stick your hand in the tank and he'd lay in the palm of your hand. Until the damsel caused him to jump ( I'm assuming ) and he went concrete surfing and one of the outside cats ate him.

Yeah its a pity watching it happen. I guess that's to be expected eventually when you jam fish in a small glass box. They probably don't go all ninja on each other in the wild.

dmasterx1x

Well Mr. Big bad guy is outta his holding cell. Seems to be much nicer. They're both doing this spazzy shaky dance.. not sure what that is, but probably means they're getting re-acquainted

Well Mr. Big bad guy is outta his holding cell. Seems to be much nicer. They're both doing this spazzy shaky dance.. not sure what that is, but probably means they're getting re-acquainted

Going to mate

awesome tank! I ripped the top off of my 6 gallon edge after chipping the corner, and I never regretted the decision! It was so much easier to do anything in the tank. Though the glass rectangle was beautiful, the chip drove me insane. So it had to go.

I like the separate little tank for the z and p's/softies! This is one awesome setup. Did you make that little corner frag stand? I'll be following along.

dmasterx1x

awesome tank! I ripped the top off of my 6 gallon edge after chipping the corner, and I never regretted the decision! It was so much easier to do anything in the tank. Though the glass rectangle was beautiful, the chip drove me insane. So it had to go.

I like the separate little tank for the z and p's/softies! This is one awesome setup. Did you make that little corner frag stand? I'll be following along.

Thanks for looking. I agree on going topless (obviously). Do you have any pictures of you edge on here? I got the frag stand on ebay for 10 bux or so. I have since removed it because a. all the zoas are moved to their own tank and b. the stand really scratched up my glass. I guess it would accumulate sand and other free-floating debris that would get wedged just along the glass. I didn't notice it until it i had to move it for a WC. big oops moment! :o

That sake is them bondig depending on their size and age they could mate

Well, i had to put him back in the bad guy tank. He got even worse after a few days of freedom! I witnessed him literally hanging onto the smaller fish by biting its underbelly. I think its time to go back to the fish store.. unless someone local wants a free clownfish.

Here's some new pics. Got an actual camera, i'm still trying to figure it out.

14075884920_92704d428b_z.jpgGold torch.jpg by davebal28, on Flickr

14262501095_c5df63d930_z.jpgshrimp.jpg by davebal28, on Flickr

14075857008_4223f09220_z.jpgEuphyllia.jpg by davebal28, on Flickr

14239382426_6c31d5c6f0_z.jpgshrooms.jpg by davebal28, on Flickr

Anyone know how to edit Flickr links so the title and link doesn't show up to the right of the picture, but underneath it?

Archived