Coral Vue Hydros

Meepduino: 2.0 RELEASED!

MeepNand

1. I think I know what the problem is but we should give Meep a chance to figure it out....

If you think you know, feel free to share. The program is annoying to go through.

Could just be a simple memory offset problem. I'll check up on it today and let you know.

MOJOEJOEJOE

I obviously can't say for sure but are you using an "EEPROM.WRITE" ? If not research it and see if using this structure will help.

Arduino acts funny sometimes.

• Like 1
disaster999

Alright Meep, Ive gotten my new time keeper, a temp prob and a 1 channel relay module to power my fans.

1-Channel-5V-Relay-Module-With-Optocoupl

I only have a 2k resister so im using that at the moment for the temp prob. Im not expecting the temp to be correct, but I just want to temp to trigger the fans on the light to turn on when they are hot. How do you hook up the relay module to the temp prob so that fans will turn on at a certain temperature?

By the way, the DS1307 works much better than the DS1302. I also changed the code to manually set the colors for each channel. haha

Edit: I feel like an idiot now. Went back to study the diagram again and noticed you left A1-A4 for heaters. Im guessing these are controlled by the temp prop so I hooked up the relay module and it works! Thanks Meep. My light is really complete now! Now just gotta figure out how to get this thing to save its program...

Edited by disaster999
  • Like 2
disaster999

Sorry for all the questions....but I ran into an error

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

I set the temp to 35C, and my prob is saying its 32C, but it kept turning my on and off for no reason and have a huge error message. Right now I just left my fan on until theres a fix for it.

• Like 1

I obviously can't say for sure but are you using an "EEPROM.WRITE" ? If not research it and see if using this structure will help.

Arduino acts funny sometimes.

Yes, of course. I'm not THAT stupid (usually, so thanks for pointing that out!).

I'm still trying to figure out why the memory isn't working. It seems to be fine for me, but I'm not sure anymore.

Sorry for all the questions....but I ran into an error

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

I set the temp to 35C, and my prob is saying its 32C, but it kept turning my on and off for no reason and have a huge error message. Right now I just left my fan on until theres a fix for it.

Are you sure the probe is connected right? Try powercycling it with the probe in first, then check the probe-Arduino connection and switch out the headers if you need to.

MOJOEJOEJOE

Lol I know your not stupid but it's easy to overlook things sometimes especially when writing code. I've made mistakes that had me stumped for days and found the solution was something that was easily over looked.

• Like 1

So I have built my own Arduino UNO based lighting unit based upon the Typhon 4 button setup. This is nice, but I would like to jump into the touchscreen field of fun.

Due to lack of time I read through as many pages as I could of this thread.

Questions;

1. Is the REV 1.6 the latest update of the code?

2. Without reading through the code can you tell me yes or no, do you have listed on Page 1 of this thread everything that REV 1.6 does?

3. (Not a question) Some of your links on page 1 are bad, the 2 amp transistor for instance. Not complaining, just fyi. I AM smart enough to find the transistor elsewhere I promise.

4. Are there any bugs still pending on REV 1.6 and is there anything new being worked on for the future?

5. THANK YOU for all your HARD work in this matter. You have built a great work of art here, I appreciate your time and effort!

• Like 1

So I have built my own Arduino UNO based lighting unit based upon the Typhon 4 button setup. This is nice, but I would like to jump into the touchscreen field of fun.

Due to lack of time I read through as many pages as I could of this thread.

Questions;

1. Is the REV 1.6 the latest update of the code?

2. Without reading through the code can you tell me yes or no, do you have listed on Page 1 of this thread everything that REV 1.6 does?

3. (Not a question) Some of your links on page 1 are bad, the 2 amp transistor for instance. Not complaining, just fyi. I AM smart enough to find the transistor elsewhere I promise.

4. Are there any bugs still pending on REV 1.6 and is there anything new being worked on for the future?

5. THANK YOU for all your HARD work in this matter. You have built a great work of art here, I appreciate your time and effort!

1. REV 2.0 is the most recent.

2. Listed on page 1 is all the REV. 2.0 abilities.

3. Thank you so much for telling me about the transistor! Nobody ever tells me anything. I'll go fix it.

4. There are issues with memory saving that I am looking into. It doesn't happen on mine, but other people have the problem.

Thank you for the praise!

THANKS! I take it the link to the download inside Google Docs; Meepdiuno_Rev2_0.zip is the FULL download with all the libraries included?

• Like 1

THANKS! I take it the link to the download inside Google Docs; Meepdiuno_Rev2_0.zip is the FULL download with all the libraries included?

Yes, it contains everything. However, you will need to move the folders not marked with "Meepduino" to your libraries folder before using this.

disaster999

Are you sure the probe is connected right? Try powercycling it with the probe in first, then check the probe-Arduino connection and switch out the headers if you need to.

Im sure its connected properly as per your diagram. Powercycling did nothing, Im not sure which headers to plug the analog out of the temp prob to since you only mentioned plugging it to the A0 pin.

As I mentioned, Ive set the temp to 35C with 1.0C precision. When the temp is 32C, it will start up the fans, once it drops lower than 32C, it will stop the fans. The temp will fluctuate between 32C and 31.7C, causing it to turn on and off very frequently. Right now I have set the precision to 5C so the program doesnt kill the relay prematurely.

Not sure where else I went wrong here

• Like 1

Im sure its connected properly as per your diagram. Powercycling did nothing, Im not sure which headers to plug the analog out of the temp prob to since you only mentioned plugging it to the A0 pin.

As I mentioned, Ive set the temp to 35C with 1.0C precision. When the temp is 32C, it will start up the fans, once it drops lower than 32C, it will stop the fans. The temp will fluctuate between 32C and 31.7C, causing it to turn on and off very frequently. Right now I have set the precision to 5C so the program doesnt kill the relay prematurely.

Not sure where else I went wrong here

Gah I hate bugs. I haven't hooked up my own probes in a while, but let me check for you. Normally I use it in Fahrenheit mode, so it might be celcius-specific.

Generally I have the ERROR! message pop up when there is no probe connected. However, it might also show that because the temperature is outside of the control range. (It's not around 35*C) I haven't looked at that specific part of the code for a long time.

The precision still works? That's a good sign. It should be a small error in the code then. If you are using a solid state relay it should have millions of cycles, but good idea to limit it anyway. You can also try just using a transistor for now.

• Like 1
disaster999

Ill try it with F and see if that fixes the problem. The relay module isnt the solid state relay type. I might look into getting them and replacing the mechanical relay to that later down the line. Theres a very loud CLICK when the fans are on.

The precision sorta works. When I set it to 1C, the fans will turn on at 32C and turns off at 31.7C. It will constantly flick on and off between those 2 temps as the prob reading fluctuates. Upping it to 5C works much better as the fan will try and cool the light 5C below the set temp.

I wonder if the relay module works with one of the lighting channels.

• Like 1

Ill try it with F and see if that fixes the problem. The relay module isnt the solid state relay type. I might look into getting them and replacing the mechanical relay to that later down the line. Theres a very loud CLICK when the fans are on.

The precision sorta works. When I set it to 1C, the fans will turn on at 32C and turns off at 31.7C. It will constantly flick on and off between those 2 temps as the prob reading fluctuates. Upping it to 5C works much better as the fan will try and cool the light 5C below the set temp.

I wonder if the relay module works with one of the lighting channels.

That's really weird for the precision. I can't think of why it would do that.

I would advise against using a relay on the lighting channels. It's pretty overkill, and IMO there's better ways to use a relay than to transmit a tiny 1ma signal.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Meep,

I'm going to try to build your project.

I just want to say thank you for your hard work and for sharing it.

All the best,

Fernando

I haven't checked up on this for a while. Please do let me know if it works out for you!

Its been pretty stable for me once you work out all the kinks and debugging all the issues. One thing I mentioned before the fans coming on prematurely and seem to hung up on a certain degree, the problem went away when switching over to Fahrenheit. Its not Ideal for me but its better than hearing my fan clicking on and off for an hour straight.

• Like 1

Its been pretty stable for me once you work out all the kinks and debugging all the issues. One thing I mentioned before the fans coming on prematurely and seem to hung up on a certain degree, the problem went away when switching over to Fahrenheit. Its not Ideal for me but its better than hearing my fan clicking on and off for an hour straight.

I might be able to take a look at that. The celcius conversion is probably wrong.

• Like 1

More specifically, From what I noticed, its the 31.6 and 32.0 mark. It would turn off at 31.6 and turn on at 32.0 regardless of what temp I set. I had mine at 40c and the fans would constantly turn on and off when hovering around the 31.6/32 mark.

If its not too much trouble, could you look into the memory? It doesnt remember my last setting when I cut power to the entire system and it recalls some random setting I had before. I have to adjust the settings again or my light would be on 24/7, haha

Thanks

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

More specifically, From what I noticed, its the 31.6 and 32.0 mark. It would turn off at 31.6 and turn on at 32.0 regardless of what temp I set. I had mine at 40c and the fans would constantly turn on and off when hovering around the 31.6/32 mark.

If its not too much trouble, could you look into the memory? It doesnt remember my last setting when I cut power to the entire system and it recalls some random setting I had before. I have to adjust the settings again or my light would be on 24/7, haha

Thanks

It works okay on my device (the memory, that is).

I'll look into the temperature thing. I still haven't figured out what's causing it.

maybe if i completely "formatted" the memory it would help? how do you completely wipe the memory anyways?

There is an example sketch you can upload. It's at:

file -> examples -> EEPROM -> eeprom_clear

Just upload and run, and it will clear the memory. Then reupload the Meepduino software.

• 3 weeks later...

Meep,great work!

I've been following your controller for a few weeks now and decided to dive in and give it a shot.

I have a moderate level of experiance in electronics/ciruits and a have played with basic and C++ a bit so I dont think this will be too challenging especially since you have already done all the hard work.

My plan is to start with simple LED control and temp monitoring but eventually would like to add PH/ORP/Salinity and any other monitoring sheilds I can get my hands on.

I have just a few questions.

I'm looking at the DS3231 RTC over the DS1307 All data shows this is a better RTC and is 100% compatiable with the existing DS1307 library. Will I need to change the sketch from "ds1307" to "ds3231"?

from internet:

OtherThoughts:

DYI community is aware that the DS1307 modules are showing delays/advances in ramdom. It seems that the cristal is not calibrated after the module has been pu together. So, if you are finding accurancy problems with DS1307, this is the perfect replacement. DS3231 is excelent. It is out-of-the-box compatible with DS1307 libraries so you have just to plug-and-play. Your projects will never again delay/advance time in random. This module is very pricise. I have a testing project which checks NTP time from Internet and compares with time from this module. Over a week now less than 2ms difference has been noticed.

secone I will be using 1 5up LDD driver Board with (5) LDD-700 drivers. I think ti board already has the resistors installed so I wont need the 10k between the PWM out and the driver right?

Thanks and i'm sure I'll have lots more questions!

Waiting to order the RTC till I hear from you :)

• Like 1

Just a heads up for anyone looking to buy the entire kit quick and cheap:

I found this ebay seller "nyplatform"

MEGA2560 Control Development Board ATMEGA16U2 For Arduino Compatible USB Cable $12.28

TFT 3.2'' 4.3'' 5.0'' 7.0'' Mega touch LCD Shield Expansion board for Arduino $6.86

3.2" inch TFT LCD Module Display 320 x 240 +Touch Panel PCB adapter color screen $20.86

DS3231 AT24C32 IIC Precision RTC Real Time Clock Memory Module For Arduino $3.26 (he also has the 1307 and 1307)

DS18B20 Digital Temperature Temp Sensor Thermal Probe For Thermometer Waterproof $3.26

10 Pcs 2x40 Pin 2.54 mm Right Angle Double Row Pin Header $4.16

He also has resistors, transistors, jumpers etc...

Shipping was $1.99 for all a total of $52.67 Order at 2:30 est and I already have a tracking #

• Like 1