SaltCritters.com

Jackal's 11.4 (Now with getto fan chiller)

Jackal_Knight

Jackal_Knight

Looks great, nice work.

thanks.

Nice job so far, and really looking forward to some updates.

I am going to be upgrading my Spec V to a larger tank with a sump later this year, and the top contender so far is the Mr. Aqua 11.4 so I will be watching your progress. :)

thanks, yeah so far I'm loving this tank. so i would definitely recommend it. also this is my first sumped tank and i love that too. don't ever want a hob filter again... still have my 3 gallon with an ac70 dont like messing with it.

Lookin good really great job on the stand

thanks, glad you like it.

--------------------------------

well i lost my job a few days ago so stocking this thing is gonna be slower than i would like but i'll keep you guys posted.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HaiImBRIAN

Nice build!

Question. Is the noise from your intake loud? How does it compare to a tank with an over flow? Im debating on whether to drill and just put a grilled bulk head or to get a glass holes nano kit

Jackal_Knight

Nice build!

Question. Is the noise from your intake loud? How does it compare to a tank with an over flow? Im debating on whether to drill and just put a grilled bulk head or to get a glass holes nano kit

Its not loud at all u can just hear water running in the pipes if i stick filter floss in the filter sock its even quiter.

Id say its about the same as having a overflow box with just one bulkhead. If you do the herbie then thats a different story. I just dont like the look of overflow boxes in small tanks thats the reason i went with this. Looks cleaner in my opinion.

Jackal_Knight

Just got back from my LFS. I was hoping to get 2 occ clowns, some crabs, a torch or hammer coral. I Came back with nothing.

Its been a few months since the last time i went, but i dont know what happened there tanks are over run with aiptasia, and bubble algae. So until they clean up there tanks im not buying coral from them.

As for fish i might go check again on friday they said there getting a shipment from ORA. Im also gonna go tomorrow to another store in the next town over to see if they have anything i want.

• 2 weeks later...
Jackal_Knight

Update time!!

ok got 2 clowns about a week ago, also went with a sca-301 protein skimmer over the aquatic life 115, with the big skimmer i don't have room for a fuge, so im not doing that anymore. added some coral everything looks happy. so far so good.

going to cancun for a week, kinda of worried about the tank, i have some one watching it but they don't know what there doing so i'm showing them what they need to know. that's it so far! NOW FOR SHITTY PICTURES (working on getting a better camera tired of phone pics)

recent fts

http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/Jackel_knight/media/2013-05-29_18-03-51_551_zpsd4e32a5a.jpg.html'>2013-05-29_18-03-51_551_zpsd4e32a5a.jpg

my new fishy!

http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/Jackel_knight/media/2013-05-22_16-37-24_325_zpsad186c0d.jpg.html'>2013-05-22_16-37-24_325_zpsad186c0d.jpg

big skimmer in my lil sump

http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/Jackel_knight/media/2013-05-29_18-24-13_725_zpsce91f7f9.jpg.html'>2013-05-29_18-24-13_725_zpsce91f7f9.jpg

thanks for looking

• 4 weeks later...
Jackal_Knight

been 3 weeks already? man how time flys. update time i guess... :closedeyes:

alright while i was in cancun one of the ballast went out on my oddysea fixture i would be mad but what do you expect for 60 dollar fixture or what ever i paid it. so about 4 days with just 2 bulbs and the fixture about 10 inches from the water line i only lost a 1 inch birdsnest frag i had on the sand bed. every thing else is pretty low light corals so they where fine.

so i decided to replace both ballasts with 2 workhorse 3 ballast. seem brighter than the stock ones and they don't get very hot, only down side was i had to take the whole fixture apart and rewire it. was an easy job but i don't think i will be recommending these fixtures unless you don't mind a lil work thats need to be done to make it reliable, but the moon light are sweet on this thing.

no pics of me tearing the light a part, but i have some bad phone pics of some of my coral. planing on getting some acans and a hammer next week can't wait.

my purple torch

2013-06-22_13-52-59_65_zps6b0aa9a2.jpg

No idea what this is. open brain is my guess but im no expert but its looks cool B)

2013-06-22_13-53-10_460_zps8c1cb36a.jpg

Doughnut brain, is what I'm told it is

2013-06-22_13-53-21_331_zpsae42639c.jpg

My Monti cap

2013-06-22_13-53-32_206_zps58a5ce0c.jpg

Really bad pic of a favia

2013-06-22_13-53-39_951_zps50a54c41.jpg

favia with fish blocking my view of it

2013-06-22_13-53-45_589_zps4bc38b1f.jpg

2013-06-22_13-53-48_704_zps6218c3ed.jpg

and the ruler of my tank

2013-06-22_13-53-51_830_zps8dec01a3.jpg\

thanks for looking ;)

• 1 month later...
Jackal_Knight

Dig the tank man

thanks took a lot of work to set up, and I am really happy with it. how much longer till you get yours up and running?

i love the open brain and the torch... so nice... =D

been eyeing that torch at my LFS for almost most 6 months! was surprised no one bought it, but when i finally got it. the lower head was starting to bleach but its doing much better.

that brain is crazy bright neon green, i got a sweet toxic hammer from glennr1978 that really bright but dose not compare to that brain. been meaning to post some new pics of that hammer and some acans i got.

FishBrawler

That "brain" isn't a open brain. It is actually a trachyphyllia... (I don't know how to spell it off the top of my head)

Jackal_Knight

Hey man how are u liking your SCA skimmer?

i love it, pulls out some chunky skimmate... its mostly like a dark ice tea color with nasty chucks. worth every penny, im still trying to fine that sweet spot but its been good enough so far. you thinking of getting one?

That "brain" isn't a open brain. It is actually a trachyphyllia... (I don't know how to spell it off the top of my head)

Thanks for the ID FishBrawler.

is the doughnut brain a correct id or im i off on that one too?

Jackal_Knight

just googled lobophylia, it looks like that what it is. wonder if there also called doughnut brains cause that what my lfs had it labeled as.

lobophylia also sounds like a wolf fetish :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Jackal_Knight

Just stumbled upon this. Nice tank! :)

Same as Nidding, just came across this post. Very nice! Kudos!

thanks for the compliments!!

just noticed its been awhile since an update. tank is doing great! the heater wasn't working very well and had my tank at 85 for a few days till i notices some acan not getting puffy. but all is well now.

i got some acans, a sick toxic hammer, a duncan, and a beautiful blasto from glennr1978. guys a great seller and has awesome frags. i just need to take some new pics but I'm tired of crappy camera phone pics. so i get some thing a lil better and take some.

well here's some of my vacation pictures from a few months ago finally uploaded some. and i don't like posting updates without pics so these will do for now.

http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/Jackel_knight/media/Xcaret%20vacation/102_1925_zps9796d555.jpg.html'>102_1925_zps9796d555.jpg

http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/Jackel_knight/media/Xcaret%20vacation/323_zpsc000fab7.jpg.html'>323_zpsc000fab7.jpg

http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/Jackel_knight/media/Xcaret%20vacation/1197511_zpsddbe2226.jpg.html'>1197511_zpsddbe2226.jpg

http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/Jackel_knight/media/Xcaret%20vacation/N12-060613-153214_zps5e1d2f81.jpg.html'>N12-060613-153214_zps5e1d2f81.jpg

http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/Jackel_knight/media/Xcaret%20vacation/102_1889_zps4ad3f964.jpg.html'>102_1889_zps4ad3f964.jpg

alright never mind... i told my girlfriend to upload some pics to my photobucket, see didn't really add any pics of the places we wen't to but i have plenty of me her making out :mellow: so if anyones intrested... jk

i will try and get some more pics of the other places we went

thanks for looking

just googled lobophylia, it looks like that what it is. wonder if there also called doughnut brains cause that what my lfs had it labeled as.

lobophylia also sounds like a wolf fetish :lol:

Actually, donut corals are more like meat corals I think haha.... foood...

• 2 weeks later...
Jackal_Knight

How the hell are you keeping the torch, hammer, and monti alive? I cant keep any of them.

Good question!

I dont test my water, i feed my clowns every other day. I do 25% water changes every week. We have the same skimmer you do too. i don't do anything special.

Wonder why you would be having trouble keeping those coral. Now favias I've been having some bad luck with those, out of the 3 i have 2 are dying on me :(

Hows your thank been doing man.

Hows your tank

Jackal_Knight

Alright quick update about a month.back my torch was.dieing cuz of to.much flow, so i moved some powerheads around and now its looking better.

I also started using red sea coral pro and my coral are looking way better, i finally got home in time before the light when out and in a quick pic

My hammer and torch

2013-08-28_18-01-00_136_zps78d4bfef.jpg

That's definitely a sweet little tank you got going there man, keep up the good work!

That trachyphyllia (commonly called open brains) is insanely bright! I had one a few years ago that I thought was bright but yours makes mine look pale for sure!

Archived