Top Shelf Aquatics

Ralph's 90RR Predator Reef! New Fish! Moar Wrasses!

NirvanaandTool

jedimasterben

Pretty awesome though. I probably wouldn't use the PC power supply, though, they're insanely inefficient when it comes to tiny loads. That's one reason it took so damn long to find a power supply for my home server box. With all three hard drives spun up it uses 40 watts, and idles at around 30w - with an inefficient power supply that I had on it it was pulling almost 70 watts.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's actually exactly what I was going to use to store all the crap for my build too. Love it man. Lets see some light over the tank :)

NirvanaandTool

Pretty awesome though. I probably wouldn't use the PC power supply, though, they're insanely inefficient when it comes to tiny loads. That's one reason it took so damn long to find a power supply for my home server box. With all three hard drives spun up it uses 40 watts, and idles at around 30w - with an inefficient power supply that I had on it it was pulling almost 70 watts.

Good point. I knew it would be inefficient cause the PS isn't 80+ rated but didn't really think of how inefficient it would be.

I'll hook it up (cause I already have all the molex to 3 pin adapters) and hook it up to a Kill-a-watt and see how bad it is. If its scary, I'll get some dedicated Molex power supplies like the 12V 5a one LGB has for sale.

That's actually exactly what I was going to use to store all the crap for my build too. Love it man. Lets see some light over the tank :)

Great minds think alike! It just seems like such a clean way to store everything.

Hopefully soon man. This week my goal is to get the heat sinks into the canopy and wire everything together. Then I can start to fill the tank. Picking up another Brute tonight so I can make more water. Right now I have about 50-60 gals of SW made between 2 brutes.

Reefmaster1996

Nice that Looks neat, I'm going a similar route, but I'm building my own box out of white acrylic, and placing it in my stand bellow my switch strips.

NirvanaandTool

Thank ya B)

Nice. That sounds like a cool setup. Looking forward to seeing it.

I think I'm going to focus on getting the plumbing hooked back up (took it apart to bring it inside) after work this week and getting doors on the stand. This weekend I'll have more time and can get down to the project of getting the LEDs and fans in the canopy.

In other news, i went fishing the other day and was feeding scraps of the fluke (summer flounder) I caught to my 1 last waspfish. Damn fish was being picky about eating fresh fish. Only took two pieces before she turned her nose to it. Picky fish. Prefers salmon, tuna & cod. SPOILED. :P

NirvanaandTool
First of 2 clusters in the canopy.
2014-06-22.jpg
Both are in and wiring commenced yesterday. Didn't have enough slack to do what I really wanted to do (make my connections along the back of the canopy rather than inside) so I was extending wires about 6" last night. Going to extend the rest tonight and then test fire the death ray!
Edit:
Still working out some bugs in the wiring. 80% works but I need to track down a problem with the cyan's and one string of the RBs. I know the problem with the RB, a bad connection on the cat5 jack, so that will get fixed tonight. Hoping the cyan issue will be an easy fix like a lead just came out of a terminal somewhere.
No pics cause my phone died last night while I was testing. Thankfully I had my tablet for Bluefish control.

Hopefully pics tomorrow after sorting things out tonight!
NirvanaandTool

Didn't get the LED wiring fixed yet... Was doing better things :P

Setting up the 20g quarantine tank. :D

Somehow these ended up in my cart yesterday and I had to buy them.
lg-0623141-115.jpg
lg-0623141-169.jpg
Should come in on Friday. :lol:

Didn't get the LED wiring fixed yet... Was doing better things :P

Setting up the 20g quarantine tank. :D

Somehow these ended up in my cart yesterday and I had to buy them.
lg-0623141-115.jpg
lg-0623141-169.jpg
Should come in on Friday. :lol:

oh snap!!Cant wait to see these in your tank

NirvanaandTool

You and me both Eugene. They'll go through a preventative QT first even though they are both Diver's Den fish. Probably just hypo and prazi. Just to be safe. Plus it will make weaning them onto frozen easier.

NirvanaandTool

I'm still seeing spots .... but the Cluster is ALIVE!!!

IMG_1273.JPG

IMG_1275.JPG

Proof the fish got here. Didn't get any better pics, they are without lights for at least today to keep them from being too stressed from the move. No feedings til tomorrow either.

IMG_20140627_105727_700.jpg

The Snooty Maori Wrasse is freaking huge. Brute of a fish. Wasnt too happy about being in that bucket lol

NirvanaandTool

Now with water!

2014-06-29.jpg

Sand & more water this week. Was pre-occupied moving the wrasse and lion apart cause the wrasse decided to see how the lion tasted and the lion wasn't too happy about it. Lion was on full defensive towards the curious wrasse so they were separated. Lion is healing up with Melaxfix right now.

I missed this thread, subscribed now. :)

So hey, you have an SWC skimmer? How do you like it. I ordered one but I'm not sure if I'll ever see it. The guy called me at home, I tried to call back and the connection was horrible. Either rapid busy signals or a 1 minute wait for a scratchy connection dumped into voice mail. I'm going to stick with it because I really want one of these skimmers.

NirvanaandTool

I like it, skims real well on the 40B. Easy to adjust too with the pseudo gate valve at the outlet. Can't say much about their customer service, I bought mine used on RC. I've never had pump problems with mine either and I barely clean the the thing besides just cleaning the collection cup.

I'm switching to a Reef Octo on the 90 mostly cause my brother had a 2000XP and wanted to trade it for the 40B setup. It's probably way overkill but I have a Octo 1000int to fall back on if it's too much. I guess having too many skimmers isn't a bad thing!

NirvanaandTool

RIP Lion. Seemed like it was on the mend as I got it to eat a few feeder guppies but I guess that wasnt enough. I think it had Internal Parasites so that coupled with not eating much probably did it in.

Wrasse is in a separate QT tank but I still want to treat it with Prazipro just in case as it did live with the lion for a day or so and could have gotten the same IPs.

I don't have updated pics of the 90 but it has all the sand in it now (and all the dust from the 20lbs of live sand I put in) and is over 2/3 full now. I was busy working on the ATO & fuge lighting this weekend. Hopefully the 90 gets fully filled and running this upcoming weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
NirvanaandTool

It's ALIVE! My view as I work from home today.

IMG_20140718_094540_263.jpg

Took a little while due to some leaks from the threaded drain bulkheads but thanks to some teflon paste, they are all fixed. Running at full capacity now awaiting the transfer of the contents of my 40B. Death Ray will go on after everything is added.

Needs more rock but that will come after I nuke the crap that's on the rock in my 40. Probably will lanthanum chloride it before I let it get anywhere near the 90. It has to be leaching PO4.

Hooray for progress!

• 3 weeks later...
NirvanaandTool
The much anticipated Ralph Actually Made Progress Post!

First the wasp went in... with no light.

IMG_20140726_230801_473.jpg

IMG_20140726_190022_055.jpg

And then this weekend.... The canopy went on. All lights are working (though I had to chase down a problem with the Cool Blues at first), coral is in the tank, fans are all working.

1 Single MP10 is mounted on the back, won't mount to the side. For some reason on this tank, the sides are thicker than the back. Guess I'm upgrading to a MP40 or a Riptide....

Still didn't get the skimmer in, need to build or buy a skimmer stand first and raise it up in the sump.

Bear with me on the subpar pics. I got a new phone and have to figure out how to get it to take better LED pics. It's not this blue but I couldn't get anything close to it. These were the best of the bad pics.

IMAG0013.jpg

IMAG0018.jpg

IMAG0033.jpg

And then Trippy-tank.gif compliments of Google doing whatever the F it wants with my pics.

IMAG0024-MOTION.gif

Feels so nice to finally have a light on it. Now to work on cleaning the old rock for it and get the skimmer going once I have a stand.

• 4 weeks later...
NirvanaandTool

Anyone still following along here?

If you are I actually have some better pics.

111.JPG
113.JPG
123.JPG
127.JPG
Wrassehole in the 40B.
IMAG0056_1.jpg
ZOE_0005_0000003410.jpg
And for lulz. Google stitching up a couple pics to make him swim.
ZOE_0005_0000002543-MOTION.gif
NirvanaandTool

Thanks, I'm really liking it as something different. I've always painted the back of my tanks black but the wife wanted something different so we picked out this blue.

• 1 month later...
NirvanaandTool

Was really hoping to have a really good update with a nice FTS for this thread but lately the tank has been covered in algae. Hair algae and the same snot like algae I had in my old 40B. HA was in spots but I chalked it up as new tank syndrome. Snot/slime stuff sprung up this weekend. Going to try running some biopellets to fight it off.

Have had some changes since the last update though.

Snooty in the 90. He loves it. Especially stealing food from the waspfish.

IMAG0147.jpg

New Klein's Butterflyfish in QT (still in QT, about to go through hypo).

IMAG0178.jpg

IMAG0169.jpg

IMAG0165.jpg

New Gorgonian (my first)

IMAG0235.jpg

2014-09-15.jpg

Also recently got a Melanarus wrasse and a Falco hawkfish who are in QT too. Hawk is solo in a 20g and Klein's and Melanarus are together in a 40B cause the hawk didn't want to play well with others.

Hopefully his tune changes when he's in a 90g full of LR and plenty of food to go around or he may get the boot permanently. Or get roughed up by the Snooty lol

Gonna try to get pics of all the fish in QT after I get the quarantine setup finalized this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
NirvanaandTool

I like what you've done with the place.

It's nice to see so much open water above your rock work with the blue background

Thanks. Appreciate the compliments. The background color was all my wife. I was thinking dark blue or black but she wanted the brighter color and I have to say, I'm really pleased with it.

I did add a little more rock though but it's still pretty open at the top. Provides more hiding places for my 2 newest fish to make it through QT - the Klein's Butterfly and the Melanarus Wrasse.

Not my best pic but all 3 at feeding time. (Melanarus & BFF are in a DIY acclimation box made of acrylic and eggcrate to see if there was any potential aggression issues between the snooty & them...aka did the snooty want to eat them lol)
IMAG0351.jpg
2014-10-25.jpg
I don't love the scape (threw it together in a few minutes) but it will do for now. Also shows my newest gorgonian on the left. As long as my Klein's doesnt develop a taste for these, I'll definitely be getting more.
NirvanaandTool
Better pics of the newbies after they were released into general population... The Melanurus & Klein's are so hard to take a picture of - never stop moving.

IMAG0397.jpg

IMAG0389_1.jpg

IMAG0366.jpg

FTS

IMAG0364.jpg

NirvanaandTool

Thanks Eugene. He's an awesome fish, can't believe how unpopular they are in the hobby cause he's easily my favorite fish. He's been hilarious lately with the smaller fish. I feed them pellets once a day and frozen later in the day and during the pellet feeding, he can't figure out WTF they are eating. He just swims at the surface and can't seem to see the 1mm pellets. It's pretty funny to watch.

Melanurus is getting more and more brave every day. Even trying to steal food from the snooty. She's easily the fastest fish in the tank so she's first to the food most of the time.

Archived