Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ralph's 90RR Predator Reef! New Fish! Moar Wrasses!

NirvanaandTool

If you are going to buy a 4ft tank, I'd go 120 over a 90. I would have done that if I hadn't gotten a sweet deal on my 90 from my friend. You get a 24" depth over the 90's 18" depth. And if its RR, dual overflows.

But I can imagine the 180 build is crazy expensive. The 90 is expensive enough for me.

lol nice ninja edit.

I have a friend that would sell me a 90 for cheap too lol. I really want at least two vollie's tho, which is why i got the 180.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NirvanaandTool

Yea 90 is tight for vollies with that 18" depth. I'd say you could do at least 1 vollie in a 120. Maybe 2 if your filtration is up to par.

Just to weigh-in...altho I think a 48" 120 gal is a great footprint for P. volitans, I wouldn't put more than one of them in a 48" tank. We have a 48" 100 gal, which is just a tad shorter in height than a 120 gal, and with a 12" volitans in the tank, I wouldn't add another. There's plenty of room for a couple of cool ground-huggers tho...maybe a Rhinopias, an Inimicus stingfish , or a red barbfish (Scorpaena brasiliensis).

JME/JMHO

NirvanaandTool

Take the expert's advice there on the 120 Jacob. Thanks for weighing in Dr. Greg.

Or get a 90 like me and fill it with smaller stingy guys. :)

Just to weigh-in...altho I think a 48" 120 gal is a great footprint for P. volitans, I wouldn't put more than one of them in a 48" tank. We have a 48" 100 gal, which is just a tad shorter in height than a 120 gal, and with a 12" volitans in the tank, I wouldn't add another. There's plenty of room for a couple of cool ground-huggers tho...maybe a Rhinopias, an Inimicus stingfish , or a red barbfish (Scorpaena brasiliensis).

JME/JMHO

Thanks for weighing in you opinion Greg! I really need to go back on LL, I miss it. But school is #1 priority and I have lots of work.

The whole plan for the 180 though was to have like 3 vollies that I collect from the bay. I can settle for 1 though lol.

NirvanaandTool

Greg and Renee do and some others on Lionfish Lair have them but that sort of fish aren't the most popular on here.

I was considering one but they get a little too big to house with my redfin. He's going to end up as one of the smallest fish in the group and I have to make sure all newcomers wont get big enough to swallow him.

Question...whats your stocking plan for this 90 gallon? I mean I can appreciate an ambush pred tank cos being a frogfish owner myself...well ex-owner. But I must say a 90 gal would look pretty motionless with them. Not to mention getting your armpit wet with the feeding. My 10 gallon frogfish tank only got exciting the old occation my angler decide to swim or when im feeding it. I dont know if i can justify something with 9 times the empty space.

NirvanaandTool

I'm an ex-frogfish owner too. Painted angler here (A.pictus). Had him about 15 months.

I will say waspfish are more active than frogfish. My cockatoo swims and follows me around the tank. But ya they don't move all that much compared to active swimmers.

I'm thinking a mix of bottom dwelling scorps, some dwarf lions and some swimmers. Probably a marine betta, a smaller hawkfish (maybe a longnose), a smaller maori wrasse or two and maybe a melanurus wrasse. The wrasses should provide some movement. I've even considered throwing some chromis in there just for extra movement and if they get eaten by the lions, they get eaten.

You are so right about getting your armpit wet feeding - I will have to make a new longer feeding stick for feedings just so that doesnt happen.

llama roadkill
I'm an ex-frogfish owner too. Painted angler here (A.pictus). Had him about 15 months. I will say waspfish are more active than frogfish. My cockatoo swims and follows me around the tank. But ya they don't move all that much compared to active swimmers. I'm thinking a mix of bottom dwelling scorps, some dwarf lions and some swimmers. Probably a marine betta, a smaller hawkfish (maybe a longnose), a smaller maori wrasse or two and maybe a melanurus wrasse. The wrasses should provide some movement. I've even considered throwing some chromis in there just for extra movement and if they get eaten by the lions, they get eaten. You are so right about getting your armpit wet feeding - I will have to make a new longer feeding stick for feedings just so that doesnt happen.
In this tank? I would think a Marine Betta would get too big...

EDIT. Nevermind! Just read that you were upgrading!

NirvanaandTool

Oh ya na not in the 40B. After I upgrade to the 90. I wanted to get one for the 40 but its just too small for a MB. The 90 will give me a chance to keep a lot of the fish that I just dont have room for in the 40. Plus it should give the lions I was planning for the 40 a little more room to spread out.

NirvanaandTool

Word up

This.

Not a 40B update but a 90 update.

Just placed an order with Steve's LEDs for 8 Luxeon M RBs, 4 Luxeon ES Cyans, 63deg ledil's for the Ms and 90deg optics for the Cyan for my future Evil Cluster. Already got 4 BRXA 950-03s and 50 deg Ledil's for them as well. Little by little I'll accumulate everything!

NirvanaandTool

Got my LEDs working again and threw some optics on some of the LEDs. Turns out I only had 26 and not 36 80deg optics. Someone at Rapid can't count I guess and I never checked cause I never really thought about putting them on til now.

Crappy phone pics of a dirty tank. You're welcome :P

FTS - Macro growin like crazzzzyyy
IMG_20131019_161436_092.jpg

Close up of the greenery.
IMG_20131019_161406_518.jpg

Cockatoo Closeup
IMG_20131019_161349_729.jpg

IMG_20131019_161326_384.jpg

The other two gluttons were being shy but I'll try to get some pics of them when I feed in an hour or so.

NirvanaandTool

Thanks! She's an awesome fish. Probably my favorite waspfish. Such a beggar and a spaz. I should get a video of her begging.

NirvanaandTool

MOAR!

Pics and Video! :haha:

Feeding the gluttons last night. Threw something together real fast using Windows Movie Maker. It's pretty crappy but it was fun getting the wasps on video.
Pics!
IMG_20131022_214904_446.jpg
IMG_20131022_214823_661.jpg
IMG_20131022_214736_163.jpg
Was really hoping this one would turn out clearer. It looked so promising on my phone.
IMG_20131022_214747_153.jpg
All 3. Wispy must be about to molt, eyes are cloudy.
IMG_20131022_213935_111.jpg
NirvanaandTool
Did some stuff today...

From this:

IMG_20130803_133324_211.jpg

IMG_20130803_133258_756.jpg

To this:

IMG_20131027_155759_516.jpg

IMG_20131027_155809_753.jpg

Also soaked the skimmer, return pump & other assorted parts in vinegar/water to give them a good clean.

Next up, repaint the back of the tank and finish staining the stand. PROGRESS!

• 3 weeks later...
NirvanaandTool

Made some more staining progress on the 90s stand this past weekend. Should be able to put it together this weekend and get the tank up on it after I repaint the back. Going to pick up the paint for the tank this weekend.

Got this fun shot of my redfin too.

IMG_20131111_213108_201.jpg

NirvanaandTool

Thanks man.

He's such a little fatass. That pic is after eating 6-7 pieces of food. My other 2 wasps got 2-3 each which is about what I normally feed. He is such a glutton. First to eat, last to eat, always quick to snag a piece of food that the others hesitate on. And to think he was super shy when I first got him.

red barbfish? anyone here have one? been dying to see a tank build with them in, but no one seems to have one....:'(

I'm a tad late seeing this, but we've kept a couple of these fishes (Scorpaena brasiliensis)...fairly common, but one of our faves. I love the way they can trun their heads to follow things...remind me of a lizard:

profile.jpg

brazilprofile900.jpg

Different specimen:

brasil2900.jpg

Did some stuff today...
From this:
IMG_20130803_133324_211.jpg
IMG_20130803_133258_756.jpg
To this:
IMG_20131027_155759_516.jpg
IMG_20131027_155809_753.jpg
Also soaked the skimmer, return pump & other assorted parts in vinegar/water to give them a good clean.
Next up, repaint the back of the tank and finish staining the stand. PROGRESS!

Man, seriously what did you use to clean the glass and how long did it take? im trying everything, and its taking forever.

I'm a tad late seeing this, but we've kept a couple of these fishes (Scorpaena brasiliensis)...fairly common, but one of our faves. I love the way they can trun their heads to follow things...remind me of a lizard:

profile.jpg

brazilprofile900.jpg

Different specimen:

brasil2900.jpg

Wow thats awesome, could you link me your build thread for the tank its in? i cant seem to find it here.

NirvanaandTool

profile.jpg

brazilprofile900.jpg

Different specimen:

brasil2900.jpg

Seeing those pics of your Brasiliensis again really really makes me want one for the 90. Honestly I'd say its one of my favorite scorps even though its common and not as brightly colored like a Rhinopias.

But I assume an adult Brasiliensis would be able to eat an adult male redfin so that idea will have to wait for the next tank.

Man, seriously what did you use to clean the glass and how long did it take? im trying everything, and its taking forever.

Water, about a gallon of vinegar, a hose & a kent proscraper II with the metal blade attachment and the sponge attachment. Took somewhere around 4 hours to clean the whole tank, scrape the old paint off and clean the skimmer/return pump.

First I rinsed the whole thing with the hose and then scrubbed it down with a water/vinegar mix with paper towels to get the first layer of crud off. From there I moved to more water/vinegar with the sponge attachment on the proscraper for the filmy deposits and then the blade for old coralline deposits. Between every step I rinsed it out real well with the hose and then drained it. Then I used the blade on the back to scrape the old paint off before heading back to the inside to get any spots I missed the first time around. The proscraper was the key to cleaning it, made short work of all the old algae spots - I just kept dunking it in the water/vinegar solution at the bottom of the tank to keep it wet during the cleaning.

Archived