Coral Vue Hydros

Ralph's 90RR Predator Reef! New Fish! Moar Wrasses!

NirvanaandTool

NirvanaandTool

I saw. Pretty awesome cause those guys are pretty rare. But he's meant for someone else right now.

I've got something new in the works so right now I'm saving for that. No new fish til that happens. :ninja:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NirvanaandTool
Cockatoo is in the 40! Did a 15G wc first and then put her in after I filled the tank back up. Went right into the macro.

Playing around with the macro setting on my phone

I didnt get any decent shots of just the cockatoo. Didnt want to stress her out anymore than I had to. I'll see how things are tonight when I go feed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
NirvanaandTool

Got some new wasp pics... And news on my new project.... :ninja:

This fish always looks grumpy.

9458485296_e753f1eb34_c.jpg
Waiting to be fed.
9455749175_be9d6b5c89_c.jpg
We're Waiting by ralphreef, on Flickr

Mid-spaz-out-beg Shot

9458538080_b73e28c129.jpg
Mid beg by ralphreef, on Flickr
And the new project... 90RR

9441389209_17d2443350_z.jpg
Dirty90 by ralphreef, on Flickr
Picked it up cheap from a friend. Got the stand, mag 9.5 & a Reef Octo 1000int skimmer with it. Needs a good cleaning and the stand needs some new paint.
Plan on moving all 3 wasps into it (and all the coral from my former angler cube - RIP G) and adding some other predators - dwarf lions, maybe a small maori wrasse or two, marine betta, longnose hawk. Gonna be a fun build. But until its going I'm going to keep this thread going with more wasp pics. :lol:
  • 1 month later...
NirvanaandTool

I know. I need to take more pics. I'll see what I can do.

The tank is pretty filthy though - I've been slacking on tank maintenance cause I broke my left foot 3 weeks ago and cant really do any WC's. I can at least walk on the boot now and can go down the basement to feed the fish. For the first 2 weeks, I had my wife feeding the wasps. At least I trained her well, cause they were all fat and happy when I went to check on them after 2 weeks.

Maybe this weekend I can get her to help me do a WC and then take new pics.

Also need to get to staining on the 90's stand. I got it all sanded down before I broke my foot but that was a major bump in the progress for that tank.

IMG_20130908_155627_261.jpg

IMG_20130908_155649_487.jpg

IMG_20130908_155640_164.jpg

NirvanaandTool

Ouch, man! Sorry to hear about the foot. Can't wait for new pics of the guys.

Thanks. 3 weeks til the boot comes off. Cant freaking wait.

sorry about the foot ralph get better bud. Im glad to hear the fish are still fat and healthy.

Thanks Hype. Oh ya she took good care of them, hates touching the raw food though lol

that red fin is pretty sweet, to bad you can't have other things int he tank or i'd grab one for my new tank

Thanks! He's an awesome fish. Such a character. You can have other stuff in the tank with them - just no bite size fish or shrimp. I'd say no small gobies/blennies and small shrimp like sexy shrimp. They only grow to about 4" long and dont have a big mouth like lions and other scorps.

Really really jealous, loving your tank and fish. The aquascape you have looks better than the initial one for sure, I thought the initial one was going to collapse.

NirvanaandTool

Thanks for the compliments. You should get some waspfish if you get the chance, they could be model reef citizens as long as nothing is bite size. I'd even wager that a decent sized cleaner shrimp might be ok with them.

The main structure is pretty solid - the left and right side sections are the same as they've ever been and are built with fiberglass rods and cement. The middle rocks are rested in between but have stayed put so far.

NirvanaandTool

Oh my gosh...they are adorable !!!!!! :)

Thanks! They are cute in their own venomous and grumpy way lol

I like bite size thing lol

Haha thats the best way I can put it. They have small mouths so its not as big of a problem as it would be with lions. Honestly with my redfin I'm more concerned about him getting eaten by bigger fish than him eating someone.

NirvanaandTool
No new pics of the tank. I did a 25% WC and cleaned it up a bit but one of my white LEDs popped off the heatsink (guessing I didnt put enough thermal adhesive under it) and after messing around with it, the negative wire popped off so I turned off the string. I need to find the time to get my wife to help me lift the canopy off and then fix that led. Might as well put on the 80deg optics I've got sitting around too for the hell of it.
I did snap this crappy pic of the wasps under just the blues.

IMG_20131005_190152_878.jpg
But thanks to some help from my wife, we made some progress on the 90 build. I think I'll use this thread as my 90 build thread and transition it once the 90 is up and running.
Really loving this stain. Looks so good. We got a 1st coat on the stand and a 2nd coat on the desk we are refinishing for my office to match the stand.
The 90 will also have a shelf unit next to it that will house a 20L for an ATO tank that will be stained the same color but I'll probably start that after the 90 is running. Sanding and staining 2 pieces of furniture at the same time is hard enough. 3 is too much.

IMG_20131005_183548_346.jpg
IMG_20131005_183600_473.jpg
IMG_20131005_183621_688.jpg
IMG_20131005_183642_234.jpg
NirvanaandTool

If you are going to buy a 4ft tank, I'd go 120 over a 90. I would have done that if I hadn't gotten a sweet deal on my 90 from my friend. You get a 24" depth over the 90's 18" depth. And if its RR, dual overflows.

But I can imagine the 180 build is crazy expensive. The 90 is expensive enough for me.

lol nice ninja edit.

Archived