• Green Digitata Cap
Acan
  • Red/Blue (ID?)
  • Green Acan Hillae
  • Rainbow Acan Echinata
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn that rockwork is awesome! Don't wanna sound like a prick or anything but isn't 20g a little small for a flame angel? They also can nip at corals.

So after my 10 gallon crashed a couple months ago I let the tank go dark for a while. I had a huge hair algae bloom and was pretty disappointed after losing a tank full of mixed coral. I eventually got the tank cycled again and I hit a huge diatom bloom. A couple weeks later my girlfriend came home with a get-back-on-my-feet yellowtail damsel, which in turn led me to go and finally get a cuc and a cleaner shrimp to start doing work on the disheveled tank. I would get antsy and add a scooter blenny a week later.

This past Monday, after a solid two months after the crash I saw Petco was quietly having their dollar per gallon sale and ended up taking home a 20 gallon there on the spot.

Since it was going on a blank white wall I decided to leave the background with no paint and no sheet, which is in turn making the tank look much bigger and roomier than if I had painted it.

When I went to get a little extra live rock I saw some newly acquired flame angelfish in the LFS and after 20 minutes was persuaded to take the prettiest one home by the LFS owner. I was and am hesitant due to space and coral nipping issues, but he was just too pretty to pass up and I got pressured into it by the owner!

For now this will be the last of the fish I add. For coral ill be doing some colorful zoas and easy care LPS. I had a digitata cap in the previous 10g that died one day and immediately clouded the water, which I think may have eventually caused the dreaded crash. The goal for this tank will be bang for the buck, or in this case bang for the easiness of the coral :)

Damn that rockwork is awesome! Don't wanna sound like a prick or anything but isn't 20g a little small for a flame angel? They also can nip at corals.

Thanks!

And to answer your rhetorical questions, yes and yes. I was talked into it by the LFS owner and was offered 50% back within a week if he's a nipper. As for the nipping, so far I have two frags with about 15-20 heads of zoas each and he looks and them and swims off. Ive seen him nip at rock leading up to the frags, and yet when he sees them he stops, looks, and moves on to a different area. Once I get more coral in the tank I'll be keeping a very close eye on him.

As for the appropriate gallonage, I realize it's a bit small for a recommended size, and again I just let the beauty of the fish and the gift of gab of the LFS owner get the sale from me. I did make sure there was plenty of swimming area around and through the rock, and I made him a comfortable cave which he retreats to when spooked, and which he sleeps in every night. I also won't be adding any more fish.mI'm hoping providing a comfortable environment will make up for the lack of gallonage.

I also plan on moving and upgrading to a long 90 gallon in a year's time, so if I can give him a comfortable enough environment until then we should be set.

Couple very blue pics of the zoas

20130319_221835.jpg

20130319_221840.jpg

Second pic is of bam bam orange. I'm still not sure what the first one is, but based on feedback from the ID thread its either a vivid rainbow or a sunny d. In any case, I nipped off a couple heads that were growing on the underside of the frag plug and planted them on the rock work. So far so good!

20130402_220422-1.jpg

20130403_183731.jpg

Good luck with the re-start, Your rockwork shows a really nice balance of rock/negative space; one of the nicest rock displays I've seen on here.

So far the best I can do until I figure out some tricks on my galaxy s3 is to pause the high res videos. Heres a shot with the angelfish and the damsel:

Screenshot_2013-04-04-19-33-42.png

Family photo! Blenny is on the rock (underneath, middle) and is darker in color than the rest.

20130404_194716.jpg

Good luck with the restart. Nice rockwork. My lfs actually keeps the flame angels in the coral frag tanks.

I"m in the same situation; just restarting with a 20L, same powerheads and I just ordered 2 par38 full spectrum Plus bulbs from Ledtric. I got the plus version after reading (lot's of reading) that the neutral whites show more color. Do you see much difference between the standard full spectrum and the plus version? If so, do you have a preference?

Good luck with the restart. Nice rockwork. My lfs actually keeps the flame angels in the coral frag tanks.

I"m in the same situation; just restarting with a 20L, same powerheads and I just ordered 2 par38 full spectrum Plus bulbs from Ledtric. I got the plus version after reading (lot's of reading) that the neutral whites show more color. Do you see much difference between the standard full spectrum and the plus version? If so, do you have a preference?

My full spectrum plus is on the way still, but I can say this about that: based on my regular full spectrum I'm VERY excited. The quality from LEDTRiC's builds are top notch, and the regular FS bulb is a great light but too blue for my tastes. Based on what I know first hand of the regular and what I've read about the plus bulb I'm going to prefer the plus. Ill let you know my thoughts when its set up. Should be Tuesday!

Very nice! And glad to see another local. That rock scape is great! Where abouts in Ventura are you?

Thanks! I'm on the east end, in Todd Ranch. Where do you like to buy your stuff?

Tats has more options. The guys at extreme are a bit more friendly... Mostly I trade locally.

20 longs are still my favorites. Great tanks.

Tats has more options. The guys at extreme are a bit more friendly... Mostly I trade locally.20 longs are still my favorites. Great tanks.

Yeah I want to support extreme too but I find myself buying from tats more often than not.

Still trying to work on getting better pictures with the phone. At least the shrimp stays still long enough for for a pic!

20130404_201337.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Those photos are great. So do you prefer the plus?

Yes absolutely. The warm white instead of the cool white cuts down on the blue neon glow and brings a real world color to the water while bringing out the best colors possible from every color in the corals and fish. I'm in love with it and the price cant be beat without DIY.

My flame angel is not looking very good. Everything has been great until a few days ago after I upgraded my powerhead. He hid in his cave for a couple days and as of this morning hes being very lethargic and unresponsive.

Tested water on wednesday and saturday. Temp: 78-80. Ph: 7.8. Nitrite and Nitrate: 0. Phosphate: .25. Did a 3 gallon water change on saturday.

The only thing different in the tank is I upgraded from a koralia 250 to a koralia 425 on tuesday. He started hiding on friday. This morning hes getting pushed around by the current a little and trying to swim back against it very sparingly. I turned off the 425 and turned back on the 250 for today.

Any tips on how to stop this before he dies?? I'm pretty bummed out

I answered in your other thread, then looked at this one.

Are any of the corals showing stress? Did you happen to do any changes to filter media when you upgraded the pumps? I killed my 20 when I upgraded pumps and then replaced most of my filter media during a water change. My flow was too low and apparently most of the bacteria was on the filter media (bag of Purigen and bag of GFO) that I removed. Fish and shrimp no issues, but mos tof my coral died due to an ammonia spike. It could be Fame Angels are more sensitive?

Good luck!

I answered in your other thread, then looked at this one.

Are any of the corals showing stress? Did you happen to do any changes to filter media when you upgraded the pumps? I killed my 20 when I upgraded pumps and then replaced most of my filter media during a water change. My flow was too low and apparently most of the bacteria was on the filter media (bag of Purigen and bag of GFO) that I removed. Fish and shrimp no issues, but mos tof my coral died due to an ammonia spike. It could be Fame Angels are more sensitive?

Good luck!

Thanks! I added some phosban to my HOB filter on tuesday and removed it thursday. Added again saturday. I have been making my own salt water with conditioned tap water for a while, so it comes in with about .4-.5 phosphates. I know, it wont do due long term and I'm planning on getting my RODI unit soon. But I started treating with phosban last week and added the stronger powerhead. No stress on any corals. I actually have been getting better polyp extension from my acro frag and all of my zoas havent ever been this big. The other fish/shrimp seen unaffected.

Very odd. If the corals are ok then IMO the water is ok. If he's still eating and not showing any outward signs of stress there might not be anything wrong.

Very odd. If the corals are ok then IMO the water is ok. If he's still eating and not showing any outward signs of stress there might not be anything wrong.

He's definitely not right but hopefully its just a passing illness and not a fatal one. He was resting on his side on the sand on and off as I was getting ready for work this morning. The gf is saying so far this morning hes been up and swimming and then down on the sand on and off.

He's showing signs of what my clowns did right before my 10 gallon crash a while ago so I'm on the edge. Also, since day 1 he's done nothing but swim around all day over every square inch of the tank, picking at the live rock and pretty much just owning the whole tank. Now for the past couple days hes barely left his cave and now this.

Also just had the gf test the ammonia and she says its between 0.0-0.5. I dont know whats going on!

Well that was quick. GF just told me hes down for the count. Hes already out of the tank and in a resting container with tank water in it in case of a miracle comeback when I get home from work.I dont get this one I dont know what it could be. If you guys have any thoughts let me know.

How long have you owned him?

If nothing else happens to any fish or corals in the next 20 or 30 days then I would suspect the fish was harmed when captured. The key is how the tank does over the next week or so, IMO.

Have had him for close to a month. Showed no signs of stress until a couple days ago. Ill definitely be keeling close watch to what happens to the tank over the next week. He was out of the tank within minutes of being dead so there should be zero ammonia spike. If the tank crashes I dont know what else to check. All levels are 0 or close to it.

Archived