SaltCritters.com

Official Mandarin and Dragonet Show off thread

metrokat

Mandarin Training  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Does your Mandarin Fish eat Frozen?

• Yes & I trained my mandarin
    • Yes & I had nothing to do with it
    • No
  2. 2. Answer this if you have a 2nd Mandarin Fish

• Yes & I trained my mandarin
    • Yes & I had nothing to do with it
    • No
    • I don't have a second Mandy

No idea on the particulars yet... I was surprised enough to get past the "can you order blue crab row?" question with something other than "huh?" as the response.

My order should arrive sometime in the latter half of next week. Have to drive halfway across town to get it, but I'm hopeful.

Incidentally, I called Nutramar/Quality Marine about a week ago and they said a harvest had been done & to watch for it in the next 2-3 weeks. Anyone think this is actually true, or just the plain-old-string-along speech we've all come to know & expect from various online supply houses?

I can call them again, I had a long conversation with them a year ago

But it's actually Ocean Nutrition that owns the brand.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/343264-nutramar-ova-shortage-and-global-shrimp-disease/?p=4798737

Or no, wait. I have that wrong.

Okay yes, it's Quality marine.

I'm on the phone with them right now.

They say in about a month they will have some.

Spoke to Cindy - she says the rumour is they are going to get it in a month. Till their supplier actually invoices them, they won't know for sure.

Pleasantly surprised to hear that my LFS is one of their top retailers in my area so God willing, they will be in their list of distributors when this precious cargo does come in.

Spoon Fed EM1

i'm so happy, finally got my puppy to eat brine shrimp, mysis shrimp and pellets!

he can finally get out of his training crate now lol!

sorry, not the best photo and the led lights don't make it any better...

greenmandarin_zpsphxdenu2.jpg

• Like 4
Spoon Fed EM1

I'm kinda curious, I let my mandarin into the main display for 3 days now... is it natural for him to just hide out for a few days? he'll swim around the tank soon or do they normally just hangout in certain spots of the tank?

I'm kinda curious, I let my mandarin into the main display for 3 days now... is it natural for him to just hide out for a few days? he'll swim around the tank soon or do they normally just hangout in certain spots of the tank?

They usually just hover around rocks and the bottom. Mine hides in a cave when hes not hunting for pods.

• Like 1
Spoon Fed EM1

They usually just hover around rocks and the bottom. Mine hides in a cave when hes not hunting for pods.

Yeah basically what mine just does as well... he has 3 different spots he hides in. I didn't realize I had that many caves within my rocks lol

I lost my ORA target mandy I guess over a year ago and then after a few months got a green one(or blue or psychedelic). He is doing well and eating blood worms. Question about food has anyone tried squid? I picked some up for the other tankmates(who by the way are insanely jealous of him because he gets special feeding treatment by me) and noticed it consistency is the same as a worm kinda long and stringy.

I have tried feeding tonight but when I feed him it is not a good watching vantage point so thus far i can't tell if he taking it.

JoeDigiorgio

Lol yes those are my babies. Orchid dottybacks are next, I have eggs hatching tomorrow or the next night. And this summer I plan to finally get mandarins to settlement.

I couldn't even keep up housekeeping with my build threads, let alone a rearing thread lol I haven't even gotten my MBI points for these guys yet lol

• Like 1

ICH ADVICE

So I have an outbreak of ICH in my display. Everyone has been moved to a QT tank (except for my sleeper goby who I a, still attempting to catch) for treatment and letting the display go fallow. My mandarins are in an in tank specimen box until you guys tell me what I should do with them. My male reliably eats live black worms. My female does not. I am hesitant to let her free in the 55 QT because I won't be able to check if she is eating.

Should I have my husband pick up a 5 gallon tank and move both mandys in there for qt and treatment? Maybe this will be an opportunity to train her. Opinions? Advice?

JoeDigiorgio

I'd put them in QT with the rest of the gang and take it as an opportunity to get her trained while in a bare bottom environment. That's just me.

I have them in a 5 gallon barebottom. The 55 is too deep for me to make sure she is eating and my rabbitfish is fairly aggressive at mealtime. This way i can make sure they are both eating. They didn't eat anything, if they are still boycotting on friday, i am going to pick up some pods and brineshrimp.

• Like 1

Never could get my mandarin eating anything other than pods. Luckily I have plenty and he's quite fat. Looks like a colorful vienna sausage swimming around. What are the thoughts on adding multiple mandarins to one tank? As in...two males, but different morphs.

Is it possible to have a male target mandarin, and a male blue/green mandarin in the same tank? Will they fight to the death

• Like 1
JoeDigiorgio

If you don't have them eating prepared foods reliably, the responsible answer is not to add another at all. But that's not a desirable answer so most people will do it anyway.

If it's a food issue, then yes I would do it anyway. I have never had any shortage of pods, and my mandarin is as chunky if not chunkier than just about all that I've seen posted on this thread (yalls mandarins are beautiful, just making a point). I don't have any other pod eating fish in the tank either. I'm more concerned with territorial disputes and fighting. I have read that male/male mandarins are a no-no but I'm wondering if that means all color morphs, or just identical ones?