gbru316

What is this?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Please help identify this pest.

• Dino
    • Cyano
    • Bacterial mulm
    • other (please explain below)

I've been battling some form of brown snot for the past month or so. Nothing seems to really affect it, a 5 day blackout only stunted growth.

When disturbed, the strands of snot break apart into near translucent snot-strands that float around the tank. Eventually, these join other snot-strands to form brown snot-globs.

Whatever it is, it's ultra-invasive and is irritating the crap out of the coral.

The pics below were taken while I was manually removing it. Prior to this, it looked like brown, rust colored snot/spider webs draped over everything.

photo1_zps3bb37a39.jpg

photo_zps9cd26de4.jpg

Tank is a 6 month old 10g AIO, circulation provided by mp10 @ 100% lagoon. Lighting is a DIY LED array. Filtration consists of a hydor nano slim-skim, chaeto (w/reverse photoperiod) and GAC/GFO. I also perform a 10% water change weekly during which time I siphon out all detritus.

I utilize biopellets (IO NNR) and dose microbacter7. Feeding is minimal.

The only fish is a small 6 line wrasse. I also have 3 astrea snails and 4 ceriths.

Parameters are within spec:
SG: 1.025 (refractometer, calibrated)
Temp: 77
pH: 8.2 (API)
NH3: 0 (API)
NO2: 0 (API)
NO3: 1-2 (Elos)
PO4: <0.1 (Elos)
Alk: 8.2 dKh (API)

My guess is dinos. I see that your zoanthids are pissed off. Why are you running bio pellets along with GFO and a skimmer, did you have some parameter that was out of whack that needed correcting? And do you have SPS?

My guess is dinos. I see that your zoanthids are pissed off. Why are you running bio pellets along with GFO and a skimmer, did you have some parameter that was out of whack that needed correcting? And do you have SPS?

Yes, it's intended to be an SPS tank. I have an ORA BOP that's doing fine.

Nothing was out of whack, aside from high NO3 after cycle. I'd rather strip everything and have to add nutrients than to play the nutrient balancing game, hence why the skimmer, pellets and GFO.

I understand, but something is unbalanced which is leading to this problem. I don't know enough to suggest that you might be stripping nutrients as well as good bacteria leaving room for the bad to grow faster. But you probably have an imbalance of bacteria.

You could try 2 options.

Dr Tims waste away additive.

Hydrogen Peroxide.

Peroxide is not without risks so I would try Dr Tims first.

I understand, but something is unbalanced which is leading to this problem. I don't know enough to suggest that you might be stripping nutrients as well as good bacteria leaving room for the bad to grow faster. But you probably have an imbalance of bacteria.

You could try 2 options.

Dr Tims waste away additive.

Hydrogen Peroxide.

Peroxide is not without risks so I would try Dr Tims first.

I actually tried peroxide for about 2 weeks @ 1 mL/day and I didn't see too much of a difference, so I stopped.

jedimasterben

I would give Dr Tim's waste away a shot. I would remove the biopellets. What you're battling is a bacteria, so biopellets will fuel them.

• 1 year later...

I see its been over a year. What was the outcome? did you give Dr Tim's a shot? I am battling something similar and wanted to know if you ended up finding something that worked.

Archived