Coral Vue Hydros

40B - Concrete Foundations

TheWAND

After nearly a year of delay, I've finally decided to start my 40B from a Petco gallon sale. The goal of this tank is for a simple equipment list, while still being able to maintain tougher to keep coral.

First, come the problem of filtration. For filtration, I've decided to use a AC110 to take a sump out of the equation. The AC110 will use an inTank Mediabasket to hold a Tunze 9002 for skimming duties. I'm going to try the Tom Aquatics surface skimmer attachment to give surface skimming, and if that fails, I will fabricate a surface skimmer of my own. Inside of the AC110 will be filter floss, Seachem Matrix Carbon, Seachem Purigen, and Seachem Matrix. I have yet to see if space will be an issue, but for now I will hope to use all three products. Heat will be provided by Hydor Theo heaters.

Lighting will be provided by two Aqua Illumination Sol Blue fixtures, stand mounted using the EXT system. Photo period will be somewhere in the area of 6 hours.

Flow will be provided by a lone Ecotech MP10 ES, at least until I get a better picture of what flow looks like inside of the tank.

ATO duties will be covered by a Tunze Universal Osmolator, with magnet mounted sensors. Hopefully, I will be able to hide these sensors behind the overhang of the AC110.

The vision for the tank is to have a simple, but elegant collection of coral. I'm keeping a barebottom so that adjusting flow will be as simple as possible for myself. Starting slowly with softies and LPS, until I feel confident that SPS will be able to thrive in the tank's environment. Salt used will be Brightwell Aquatics Neomarine. Rock will be clean rock from a few different sources. Everything will be boiled in muriatic acid except for seed rock.

Parts have been ordered, and the building of the stand begins tomorrow. Pictures will have to wait until then.

Welcome to the 40B club :)

Thanks! I'm really excited about getting this thing started. The stand will take at least a week or two to complete, because while doing the SketchUp today, I decided that I wanted the top to be a poured concrete slab. The curing and sealing process for that alone will be over a week. Patience is a virtue though, and getting exactly what I want for this project is more important than rushing to get it wet.

Supplies for stand building! Long day at work left me with barely enough energy to even go to Home Depot to buy the supplies. Got 4 80lb. bags of concrete for the stand's top. Melamine wood is for creating the mold to pour the concrete in. 2x4s are for the stand itself. The concrete is rated for 5000PSI and should be able to stand up to the rigors of holding a 40 breeder with the proper support underneath.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75945528@N08/8590586537/'>8590586537_9e06866443_z.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/75945528@N08/8590586537/'>Supplies by http://www.flickr.com/people/75945528@N08/'>aboubakarephoto, on Flickr

Welcome to the 40B club :)

+1 :happy:

Supplies for stand building! Long day at work left me with barely enough energy to even go to Home Depot to buy the supplies. Got 4 80lb. bags of concrete for the stand's top. Melamine wood is for creating the mold to pour the concrete in. 2x4s are for the stand itself. The concrete is rated for 5000PSI and should be able to stand up to the rigors of holding a 40 breeder with the proper support underneath.

8590586537_9e06866443_z.jpg

Supplies by aboubakarephoto, on Flickr

Wow, you do realize that this tank will only weigh about 400lbs or so filled right?

;)

For the price of two AI sols you sure you don't want a radion? I also have a 40B and I'm using only one unit hung 8" above and it is perfect.

For the price of two AI sols you sure you don't want a radion? I also have a 40B and I'm using only one unit hung 8" above and it is perfect.

Already have the SOLs. No need to trouble myself with getting another lighting system especially since these worked so well for me in the past. I like the Radions, but I'll just stick with what I have for now. If anything, I am considering upgrading my units to the VEGA lighting pucks.

+1 :happy:

Wow, you do realize that this tank will only weigh about 400lbs or so filled right?

;)

In this hobby, my mantra is: "if you can overbuild something, do it." There's no harm in adding a few extra 2x4s to support the concrete slab. The slab is more of an aesthetic choice than build quality decision. Since this is going in my bedroom, I'm going to do my best to have everything looking its best. With all of the effort and money I put into choosing my furniture, and designing the room, I'm not going to skimp out on this project. There will be a raised lip that goes about 5" in the front of the tank. I'm going to add molding to the concrete mold so the concrete comes out looking like I routed the edges.

I like where this is going, following for sure

Thanks! :)

I think I'm just as interested as you are. This will be my first foray into DIY concrete. Anyways, I have most of the pieces for the mold cut. I'm giving a 2 1/4" slab thickness with a 3/4" recess that will fit the tank. The recess measures 18.5" x 36.5" and will go clear through the back of the slab so sliding the tank in won't be too much of a chore. I haven't fully assembled the mold yet, so pouring will probably happen on Thursday, as I'm too busy to work on it tomorrow.

Definitely interested in seeing how this concrete slab comes out.

These are the plans I followed to make my concrete mold. Pouring begins either tomorrow or Friday depending on how much time I am given.

concreteslab_zps0a727417.png

concrete2_zpsd6951e1b.png

40angle_zps2fa121ef.png

40side_zps0244464d.png

Wow - looking good and very detailed build ... I am following this thread... I do miss my old 40 breeder / loved the dimension on them plus for 40 bucks + tax (during the $1 petco sales) how could you go wrong .

Thanks for the comments. Yes, the 40B has some great dimensions, and is a steal at $40 new.

Wow - looking good and very detailed build ... I am following this thread... I do miss my old 40 breeder / loved the dimension on them plus for 40 bucks + tax (during the $1 petco sales) how could you go wrong .

Here is what went on today. Finished with the mold assembly and caulking. I busted out the bolt cutters to cut the wire reinforcement down to size. I guess the only logical next step will be to prep and pour!

temporary_zps769530c8.jpg

P.S. The plan for the routed edge look has been scratched for the time being. I like the look of the squared edges a little better. Hopefully the caulking will give the concrete a beveled edge look.

Cool in theory, but it could just end up failing. Crossing my fingers that this project will work, because it's damn cool!

Looks like a cool idea! Following along...

Made an order to have some control over my electronics without a full blown controller. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UOT9KY/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER'>DJ power strips never fail me when it comes to power management.

Solid work so far. That concrete slab should look great, it is so damn cool!

I always enjoyed seeing pics of your larger tank so I'm sure this one will be just as impressive.

Was just going to use 1/2" floor molding for that, but I didn't like the finished look in the SketchUp as much as I did just the squared edge.

Maybe use some tubing pressed into the concrete for the "routed" edge look?

Found some motivation to get some work done today, here's the new progress.

Prep...

temporary_zps9f69de0c.jpg

...and pour!

temporary_zps779f42dc.jpg

Not too worried about bug holes since they will be filled afterwards with Portland Cement, and sanded down.

While that cures for the next few days, I get to assemble and skin the stand. Some motivation to keep that looking good came in the mail today as well.

temporary_zps229deeef.jpg

Archived