Coral Vue Hydros

CNCreef Asis Pro 824 LED/T5HO Evil Cluster Hybrid

jedimasterben

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He has an electrical degree but lives below poverty?

A degree doesn't mean you are smart, as he clearly points out repeatedly :)

• 2 weeks later...
jedimasterben

Got my replacement bits for my Bluefish, got them installed (and only partially melted some of the softer plastic bits lol) and no dice, still acting the same way as it was before. :(

Geez. I thought by now you would have had the fixture hung and running at full blast and would be posting 'Look, my corals grew a foot in the last week!' pictures.

Hurry up already.

Geez. I thought by now you would have had the fixture hung and running at full blast and would be posting 'Look, my corals grew a foot in the last week!' pictures.

Hurry up already.

This has been combo of me and Ben. We waiting for the new arrays ( took longer with holidays ) and a few small designs tweaks. However this thing will be a BEAST.

-Dave

jedimasterben

Hurry up already.

:lol:

Yeah, waiting is totally the hard part! There was so much :ninja: stuff, too, and there still is one more piece I can't talk about just yet, but is gonna be SWEET! :ninja:

Ben, I'm just wondering what your reasoning behind steering away from the evil cluster concept towards this one. Thanks!

Because mine is super dooper awesome :)

jedimasterben

Ben, I'm just wondering what your reasoning behind steering away from the evil cluster concept towards this one. Thanks!

While there is nothing quite like the punch from a super high intensity clustered array, point-source lighting has its downsides. T5HO gives such good results because the light is overall less intense but is distributed perfectly evenly across its length, which is better for corals, especially SPS. Its not to say that results will be poor with point-source, but the benefits of distributed light are there.

One of the first arrays for my 80g tank was six clusters of 3up Rebel and ES, arranged in two rows on a 24"x12" tube square heatsink, and the spread from that was nearly perfect, I was just lacking the higher inensity that I wanted. SPS were growing like weeds and were colorful all over until dinoflagellates struck and changed all that. I wanted to be able to have an array that was similar to the old one, so I mentioned that to Dave and wanting to have an ATI sunpower retro to make it look super clean, I wanted Dave to do the work because, well, he does quality work and I end up skimping in places because I get impatient.

I do have more to say about it all, but that will come as a writeup in the next couple of weeks as I get the light hung and configured and get some good picture of everything.

:lol:

Yeah, waiting is totally the hard part! There was so much :ninja: stuff, too, and there still is one more piece I can't talk about just yet, but is gonna be SWEET! :ninja:

Ninja, shminja. The impatient masses await...

most impatiently... :)

Ok, so the last part of this build is replacing the full Bluefish controller with the new Mini. :)

Well, I was hoping that it wasn't that. I would gotten the mini since I already had a apex. Well, I guess we'll see what actually comes out.

jedimasterben

So, I would have my light today but we ran into another snafu. Some of the SMT electronics on my driver boards that are meant to power the fans decided that they wanted to just pop. So I figured well, ####. Then, in my medicated 17 hour sleep after the infected tooth pull, I actually dreamt of the light lol, but not in the enjoyment of it, it was going over the wiring, how everything is powered, running numbers for voltage, power consumption, etc (how did I understand numbers in the dream? I thought that was not possible), I realized that the Bluefish Mini only provides a minuscule amount of power on the dimming pins, 4mA each. The fan control circuits, of which I have three, each will use 3.3mA, for a total of 9.9mA, which the Bluefish Mini cannot give.

I then figured ok, I can use another SCW with the on/off control circuit and have it be the only one to receive the power signal from the Bluefish, and then when it turns on, it will power the three fan circuits. I didn't have another SCW, though, nor did I have the boards to do it with, so I contacted Aaron (aka O2Surplus on Reefcentral) and asked for some more and had him check over my diagram since he is an electronics master (seriously, the dude is a BAMF).

He then says well, my plan won't work, since the fan control circuit only enables the ground pin of the output - the 'hot' pin is always active. Shit. He then says he has a plan for it. He then sends me a message that he figured it out. He is sending Dave the converter boards I need AND a small microcontroller that he normally has do conversion from an Apex controller to dim LDD, but reprogrammed it do send a 5v output, and since it has external power from another SCW, I can power all three fan circuits from it. Certainly not the most elegant solution for it, but it'll definitely work and work well! Dave should receive them some time on Monday, and then assembly and shipping should hopefully happen the same day. Fingers crossed!

Archived