Pod Your Reef

CNCreef Asis Pro 824 LED/T5HO Evil Cluster Hybrid

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

You are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to LEDs.

Too bad our hobby is so small. A 4K 90 cri white with a little violet pop would be a killer chip for any led light.

Not really. There will be no noticeable fluorescence from that chip in corals. It is only a slight difference over white clothes, while obviously enough for that purpose, it would need to have significantly more energy in violet than in blue, green, or red.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, it is incredibly difficult to balance out warmer colors. You can hardly tell that I have any blue in my array if I have the Vero cranked up to even 500mA.

If I were going to use 3000K, then I'd just use this:

23jul14CrispWhite-Lumileds-LED-508-300x2

;)

Who sells that chip?

jedimasterben

And it is $40, so a little too expensive to just run on a 300mA driver lol

Actually, the rest are actually on Digikey, as well. The 1202 starts at $12 though, 625lm at test 200mA.

And it is $40, so a little too expensive to just run on a 300mA driver lol

Actually, the rest are actually on Digikey, as well. The 1202 starts at $12 though, 625lm at test 200mA.

They have no where near the output of a Vero right?

jedimasterben

They have no where near the output of a Vero right?

There is a wide range of Luxeon CoB and Vero, so you could match them.

Mr. Microscope

Ben, why are you using red in your array as opposed to deep red. From what I've read, the reds around 620 make people physically ill to look at in a reef (lol, sounds odd right?). What kind of impact does it have on color?

Thanks!

jedimasterben

Ben, why are you using red in your array as opposed to deep red. From what I've read, the reds around 620 make people physically ill to look at in a reef (lol, sounds odd right?). What kind of impact does it have on color?

Thanks!

ATI Coral Plus

coral%2520plus.png

ATI Purple Plus

purple%2520plus.png

Those two bulbs (plus their identical siblings from KZ, Pacific Sun, etc) are the 'non-fluorescent color' producing T5 bulbs. No 660nm at all ;)

So Ben, are you saying you prefer the use of standard red 620-630nm leds? I only ask because I thought I read somewhere that you only ran the standard red because you had the ability to try something new and would still prefer a warm white led or deep red? Please correct me if im wrong as im still debating on adding some sort of a red channel to my new fixture that would used either warm white, standard red, deep red, or possibly a combination.

jedimasterben

So Ben, are you saying you prefer the use of standard red 620-630nm leds? I only ask because I thought I read somewhere that you only ran the standard red because you had the ability to try something new and would still prefer a warm white led or deep red? Please correct me if im wrong as im still debating on adding some sort of a red channel to my new fixture that would used either warm white, standard red, deep red, or possibly a combination.

That was the main reason I did it, yes, but the above would be the secondary reason. With the advent of lime and PC amber, white LEDs can be a thing of the past if they didn't look so damned good having such high flux like in the Veros. :)

wow ... i have missed a lot since i looked last ... time to back track :)

Yep, the thread runs around a lot and has parties throughout, but a loooot of good info in here.

So I still can't believe how many people think that halides and fluorescent lights are just 'magical' and LEDs just don't 'work'. lol

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
jedimasterben

They are a lot lower than the previous ones that Steve's was purchasing, these seem to be hovering around 470nm, they don't look green when next to a royal blue chip.

jedimasterben

Yes. Steve's has theirs misnamed. Instead of calling them Rebel, or Rebel ES, etc, they are all 'Luxeon ES'.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

those last 2 shots look awesome. as far as LED controllers goes, what do you prefer, the storm/stormx or bluefish? I like the idea of the bluefish, but the development of the promised add on's seems to have dropped off the face of the earth so the extra $100 over the storm x seems kinda bleh now.

jedimasterben

those last 2 shots look awesome. as far as LED controllers goes, what do you prefer, the storm/stormx or bluefish? I like the idea of the bluefish, but the development of the promised add on's seems to have dropped off the face of the earth so the extra $100 over the storm x seems kinda bleh now.

I'm with you on the controller. The Storm or Storm X (or hell, if you think you'll want a 'full' controller in the very near future, go with Reef Angel, they natively have PWM output for controlling lights) are your best bet.

oh, and here is one of the latest FTS GIFs :)

fts.gif

I'm with you on the controller. The Storm or Storm X (or hell, if you think you'll want a 'full' controller in the very near future, go with Reef Angel, they natively have PWM output for controlling lights) are your best bet.

oh, and here is one of the latest FTS GIFs :)

fts.gif

ive thought about the reef angel, do you have any experience with one? also I know the storm x offers way smoother dimming, but is it that much better than the regular storm?

Archived