ReefCleaners.org

CNCreef Asis Pro 824 LED/T5HO Evil Cluster Hybrid

jedimasterben

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy shit, MDPC-X sleeving is available again! And now it's in the US! http://www.caselabs-store.com/mdpc-x-sleeve/

Sigh... I guess I should get some of those cables for my recently completed build....

Build looks amazing. Only four limes for a 40 breeder build? I have three on my 40 and I think six would have worked out better. Haven't tried evening out a Vero with limes though.

jedimasterben

Sigh... I guess I should get some of those cables for my recently completed build....

Build looks amazing. Only four limes for a 40 breeder build? I have three on my 40 and I think six would have worked out better. Haven't tried evening out a Vero with limes though.

I only ran eight on the 80g array, had them at 1A and the Vero 10 at 500mA, and ran each at less than 50%. That one had a Vero 10, two LuxM royal, two blue, one red, one cyan, two lime, and a quad SemiLEDs violet per cluster. I was going to make three clusters, but I'm going similar to halide-style for the LED part of the array.

• 3 weeks later...

That setup may light corals, but I seriously doubt it may grow any SPS. The lack of blue and lenses would make it very difficult to throw enough PAR.

Optics are garbage. Have either reflectors or nothing at all. You can have all the PAR you want all day long without optics.

That setup may light corals, but I seriously doubt it may grow any SPS. The lack of blue and lenses would make it very difficult to throw enough PAR.

Optics add penetration to water depth not PAR.

Optics are garbage. Have either reflectors or nothing at all. You can have all the PAR you want all day long without optics.

Optics are anything that change the path of light. That includes lenses (what you are thinking of) and reflectors.

Optics add penetration to water depth not PAR.

Umm, no. Optics do aid in penetration, but it does increase the PAR measurement under the LED. With optics, you are collimating the light emitted from the LED, which is radiated at a fairly wide angle, down to something smaller. Taking efficiency losses out of the equation, you still have the same number of photons, just falling on a much smaller area. PAR is a measurement of intensity across the visible spectrum. Cram all those photons into a smaller area, and you increase PAR.

Optics are anything that change the path of light. That includes lenses (what you are thinking of) and reflectors.

I know but people only think of lenses when you say optics. So calling lenses optics and reflectors well reflectors people get it. Just how everyone still calls violet LEDs UV even though they are not in any way.

I know. I don't like it any more than you (especially calling violet LEDs UV, ARRRRGGGGGG!!!!!!). Which is why I wanted to clarify. It wasn't so much for you, but for anyone else reading the thread.

According to the Oxford dictionary, lens is a piece of glass or other transparent material with curved sides for concentrating or dispersinglight rays, used singly (as in a magnifying glass) or with other lenses (as in a telescope).

If you use a lens, or optic, or whatever you want to call it you'll concentrate the light rays and increase PAR, which, as you may know, is measured per surface unit.

I've never used lenses and never needed to. My dad's light was purpose built for a 90 tall (33" deep) and got adequate light to all his Coral throughout the tank without lenses.

Now when I do :ninja: projects ...

• 4 weeks later...
jedimasterben

I literally had five inches of MDPC-X sleeve left after getting the LEDs and T5 wired up. :)

The heatsink looks fugly, had to take a grinder to it to get the paint off of the LED portion, took some of the anodizing off of the heatsink, but not worried about that, it works for what I need it to.

25290951561_93de4359b8_b.jpg

I managed to break one of the T5 endcaps when testing whether or not my wire would slip into it or not. Whoops. I have the wires labeled, though, so it will be simple to get it all hooked up properly.
25016378169_f7959fe595_b.jpg

T5 done, now on to the LEDs.
25088362000_66ee63ef82_b.jpg

I am limited to five LDD and one SCW if I use the Nanobox driver board and the fancy metal enclosure, so I am running the two Vero 18 and each pair of three Luxeon M in parallel, all other colors are in series. I know I won't need more than 500mA through the Vero, but I'm not sure if 500mA is enough for the Luxeon M, as I'll only have roughly 33 watts of royal blue going at that current. I'll get that wired and get some PAR numbers and then if I don't like it, I will get one of O2Surplus' A6211 boards that fit into an LDD slot, they can go up to 3A and are current selectable via jumper, so it will make it easy to bump current up to 700-800mA.
25386357185_794d2bd57d_b.jpg

Twisting the T5 wires together for sleeving. The LEDs are using a 12 conductor cable, so I get five LED channels and the fans.
25091900750_fc6eb9c4c4_b.jpg

All done and sleeved!
24762326203_da9211f10c_b.jpg

24762334523_57d2a51584_b.jpg

jedimasterben

Very very nice Ben, looks like an epic build.

thanks man. About four or five hours of work in all of that lol. Still a bit more to do, wire up the drivers, get the last t5 endcap end, I still don't have the T5 ballast and a few odds and ends, but it's coming along! I probably won't actually get it up over the tank for a good while since I'll be getting an Ethereal at the end of the week.

thanks man. About four or five hours of work in all of that lol. Still a bit more to do, wire up the drivers, get the last t5 endcap end, I still don't have the T5 ballast and a few odds and ends, but it's coming along! I probably won't actually get it up over the tank for a good while since I'll be getting an Ethereal at the end of the week.

Wow, a lot of work and you didn't even have to make the heatsink. I'm still building my fixture that you helped me spec. I've got the heatsink part basically done and just need to finish off the driver/fan box before I can paint what needs to be painted and then start mounting the LEDs. I've had the NB arrays sitting here for like 6 months now and haven't done anything with them lol.

jedimasterben

Wow, a lot of work and you didn't even have to make the heatsink. I'm still building my fixture that you helped me spec. I've got the heatsink part basically done and just need to finish off the driver/fan box before I can paint what needs to be painted and then start mounting the LEDs. I've had the NB arrays sitting here for like 6 months now and haven't done anything with them lol.

Yeah, it took over an hour for me to plan out how I was going to get all the series connections wired up. Look at the 3up stars in the pictures, it gets a little funky with those lol.

I've had this hybrid heatsink for probably as long lol

Yeah, it took over an hour for me to plan out how I was going to get all the series connections wired up. Look at the 3up stars in the pictures, it gets a little funky with those lol.

I've had this hybrid heatsink for probably as long lol

Yeah those 3UP stars look like a pain. How do you hold the LED's in place? Do you bother drilling and tapping holes or just using arctic ceramique thermal paste?

Archived