Pod Your Reef

I FOUND STAR GRASS!

MeepNand

It sucks living in northing MN and reefing.. theres like nothing here.. I think half the cost of my tank is shipping costs.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't you just go collect them? I bought a mushroom coral piece because I saw the micro brittle stars that were white and black stripe. Haven't seem them multiply or if they are still around. They're very elusive in their crevices with their legs just sticking out.

I had red ones but my tank went downhill and now almost a year later I see them. Not sure where they went hiding all that time, they use to be all over the tanks and crawling over everything. These seem to hide.

I haven't seen any star grass, micro brittles, or the type of clams they're selling.

Anyone want to buy some and ship some stargrass to me? Can't afford the $100!

it's because it's probably not allowed where you live. that's why it's so expensive.

So I highly doubt anyone will try to ship it to you. O_o

My order came in today. Sadly not sure if any brittle stars made it, the bag was ice cold and it was full of mostly pieces of legs. I did see 1 or two that didn't fall apart moving so I am hopeful that maybe they will make it. I put them in the fuge so they wouldn't be bothered.

The star grass was beautiful though and seemed in perfect shape.

Still.. 24 bucks is a lot to pay for star grass :bling:

Ordered from Florida pets and got my order. Everything seems great. Micro brittle stars, star grass and limpets.

How long did the package take to arrive? I think my stars didn't fair well because priority from FL > northern MN is just tooo far and takes 3 nights.

How long did the package take to arrive? I think my stars didn't fair well because priority from FL > northern MN is just tooo far and takes 3 nights.

Was here on the 3rd day.

it's because it's probably not allowed where you live. that's why it's so expensive.

The reason it says $100 is because they don't ship to CA.

Actually, asking somebody else to get grass for you is a good idea.

The reason it says $100 is because they don't ship to CA.

Actually, asking somebody else to get grass for you is a good idea.

Why is it a good idea if it's not supposed to be in California?

The main reason shipping to CA costs so much is because invasive species are taking over So Cals coasts IIRC.

Why is it a good idea if it's not supposed to be in California?

The main reason shipping to CA costs so much is because invasive species are taking over So Cals coasts IIRC.

I thought that originally, but then I emailed them. Star grass is not banned in CA (I checked just to be sure) but the seller hates shipping there because he had a bad experience with a package being destroyed by import officials.

I know a bit about banned animals and plants in CA because I have basically tried to find loopholes in every ban :P. Very few saltwater things are banned, except in collecting and in the case of capulera. Even the blue ring octopus is unregulated.

I thought that originally, but then I emailed them. Star grass is not banned in CA (I checked just to be sure) but the seller hates shipping there because he had a bad experience with a package being destroyed by import officials.

I know a bit about banned animals and plants in CA because I have basically tried to find loopholes in every ban :P. Very few saltwater things are banned, except in collecting and in the case of capulera. Even the blue ring octopus is unregulated.

Anything resembling caulerpa is frowned on there...so thats probably why shipment got destroyed.had a friend tell me that.

Anything resembling caulerpa is frowned on there...so thats probably why shipment got destroyed.had a friend tell me that.

Apparently a dog sniffed it and thought it was something bad (not capulera though).

Apparently a dog sniffed it and thought it was something bad (not capulera though).

lol, that sucks! weirdo dog.

How does this stuff grow? I love the way they look but I am afraid to add caulerpas to my display tank, I've made that mistake in the past. I am just wondering if this caulerpa grows rapidly like the more common species of caulerpa. I am using LEDs, around 15k.

It's 1-2 inches, 2.5 at most in some areas. I've yet to do a better job at anchoring down the star grass.

Are you using Caribsea Seaflor or something else?

Deleted User 3

It sucks living in northing MN and reefing.. theres like nothing here.. I think half the cost of my tank is shipping costs.

Wisconsin here, same issue. lol

Archived