Cultivated Reef

New nano reefkeeping book.

atoll

Nano Reef Aquariums. A Comprehensive Guide for the Nano Reef Hobbyist. By Albert J Thiel. A review by Les Melling.

First of all let me state I have known Albert Thiel for some years but have only recently been re acquainted with him. We go back to the 80s/90s when Albert visited the UK to undertake talks at various seminars. I won’t hide the fact that I helped with some of the information and photographs contained within Albert’s book. Most notably I introduced him to a device called the “Oxydator” some months ago which Albert now used in his own nano reef aquarium.

I also provided a few photographs of corals taken from my own nano aquarium. I have been keeping reef tanks of one kind or another for over 30 years in which time I have had 7 aquariums of various sizes ranging from a 130 gallon sump system to a 10 gallon nano tank. My present aquarium is a 2’ cube with sump with 60 gallons capacity.

Right enough about me what about Albert’s new book. I recall exchanging emails and PMs with Albert about currently available books on nano reefkeeping during which I informed Albert of the need for a new up to date dedicated nano reefkeeping book. What I believed was needed was a book for both the new nano reefkeeper and the more experienced in fact an all encompassing book leaving no stone unturned. What Albert has produced I believe is such a book with bang up to date information and written in his own style. The book is so easy to read and hard to put down which all good books should be in my opinion.

What Albert has done with his book is to mix what is known by many experienced reefkeepers with some of his own thoughts and findings with that of the likes of me and that of others. EG as Albert has done with the Oxydator which IMO is no bad thing esp. as Albert has tried and tested what others have introduced him to. Again as with Oxydators Albert has not simply taken somebody's word for something but he’s tried, tested and replicated things for himself. There is truly something for everyone there. Albert also has his own thriving nano reef on which he often tries new ideas out.

Nano Reef Aquariums is a great book and read no doubt about it. When I received my pre publication E.book version I tried to read it as both a beginner (difficult though that maybe lol) and as an experienced reefkeeper. I have and will continue to learn from this book and I am sure when I get to read it properly and not just gloss over it I will learn much more. Of course parts of the book are basic but then so what it needs to be as we all had to start somewhere.

You will find chapters ranging from suitable equipment and how to use it to foods and feeding, problems and diseases, suitable corals and compatible fish, reef chemistry, setting up and much much more in fact over 400 pages of text. The chapters on suitable fish and corals provide the reader with plenty to species to consider with what he/she would like in their nano reef. Each species discussed is accompanied with facts about placement, care feeding and husbandry.

A number of the fish and corals presented are kept in Albert’s own nano reef and are thriving. There are also some nice photographs accompanying the text of corals and fish and many shown have been taken of Albert’s own tank and that of other nano reefers he is friends or is acquainted with. There are also many other illustrations which add to the information provided to the reader as a picture is worth a thousand words. This is all done in a plain and easy to understand way.

Maybe the book leaves the door open for a "son of" book which will partner it someday with even more in depth writings on the various subjects but that is what Albert’s soon to be released newsletter will do and will compliment the book well.

IMO Albert has hit the right note by educating the beginner and enlightening and expanding the knowledge of the more advanced reefer. It can be difficult to strike the balance but Albert has a good understanding of such having written quite a number of dedicated reefkeeping books in the past. BTW they are well worth seeking out even if they were written some years ago as much of the in depth information contained within is still very relevant to today’s reefkeepers no mean feat that.

The hobby moves so fast at times and yet the basics remain the same. I am sure this book will be a good seller. The book is currently available at a greatly reduced pre publication price till the end of the month. If you order it now you will not only get a hard copy but also the E.version and a subscription to Albert’s nano reef news letter which will keep you up to date with what’s new in nano reefkeeping.

Les Melling. March 2013.

albertthiel

Nano Reef Aquariums. A Comprehensive Guide for the Nano Reef Hobbyist. By Albert J Thiel. A review by Les Melling.

Thanks Les for the review on the book. I appreciate it. And on a "son-of-the--book" ... well, who knows right ?

For now though the Newsletter, which each owner of the Book gets for free for either 1 or 2 years depending on when they ordered, will keep the book up-to-date, and so the "son-of-the-book" may be a little in the future, but it has indeed been suggested to me by several already ... in the form of "when is Vol. 2 coming out Albert" ...

We shall see as they say ...

Thanks again for the review, and even tough no pet store has the book yet, plenty of orders have been coming in from Hobbyists and keep coming in. Just got an order from Spain, and one from Italy and also one from Indonesia ... and of course a bunch from the US and from the UK.

Albert

Ordering info by clicking the image in my signature ...

albertthiel

Albert can you add the UK ordering info to your sig please?

Thanks.

Yes indeed : thanks for the suggestion .... and I ll do so in just a jiffy ... Check in a few minutes ... hopefully I can add a direct link.

Albert

Fantastic review!!!! I'm so excited to be a part of this :happydance:

I'm very much looking forward to receiving my copy. Judging the book by the cover (as well as the review by Les), it's going to be AWESOME :D

Thanks for the review Les. This just made me all the more anxious to get my book for my own reading pleasures.

albertthiel

Fantastic review!!!! I'm so excited to be a part of this :happydance:

I'm very much looking forward to receiving my copy. Judging the book by the cover (as well as the review by Les), it's going to be AWESOME :D

Thanks Gena. Much appreciated. Lots of info ...

Albert

albertthiel

Got mine ordered. How soon will the link for the ecopy be sent out?

Thanks for the order and the link will be sent out to all who pre-ordered a few days after the books arrive and are mailed out so everyone gets both at about the same time.

Albert

Awsome review. So very happy Ive got a copy on the way.

Thanks, it's been some years since I did my last book review and so much has changed in the hobby.

albertthiel

Thanks, it's been some years since I did my last book review and so much has changed in the hobby.

Thanks Les, very well done and with all the detail to keep it objective. I appreciate it.

Albert

• 2 weeks later...

Pulled the trigger and ordered Albert's book this morning :]

You got it at the pre publication price then?

albertthiel

Pulled the trigger and ordered Albert's book this morning :]

Thanks, I appreciate the support. Got the order and sent you a confirmation.

You got it at the pre publication price then?

Yes that is still in effect for a day or two ... then I have to raise the price as I cannot compete with my resellers (stores etc... ) So far have a distributor in the UK and also one in Australia and in the US it will be wholesalers and stores.

albertthiel

Yes, got it at pre-pub price. Thanks heaps for quick confirmation Albert

You are most welcome ... and as soon as I get confirmation for orders as an email from Paypal, I try to reply immediately and confirm that the order has been received. Appreciate the support.

Anyone who wants to get the book at the pre-publication price should order in the next day or two the latest before the price goes up to retail ...

If you only buy one book get this one.After the pre publication price the price will shoot up. The net is fine as long as you know what you are reading is fine but often its not or give confusing and conflicting information. IMO you just can't beat a hard copy of a book.

albertthiel

Can't wait to read this book.

Very soon I will have them and start shipping, looks like on the 29th ... Thanks for your support !

Albert

eddiecorrea

Albert - Since you are generating all these sales on this book via this site and others wouldn't it be the right thing to do and buy a sponsorship? You are now a vendor afterall.

albertthiel

Albert - Since you are generating all these sales on this book via this site and others wouldn't it be the right thing to do and buy a sponsorship? You are now a vendor afterall.

Are you referring to the I support Nano Reef Premium member one ? I believe that is something I could do indeed. I will look how to go about it ... and set it up.

Note that the number of sales from Nano-Reef members is not that high, most sales came from FB listing in all the groups I am a member of, and from the UK ... seems like Nano-Reef Members are "waiting" perhaps, not sure, but as soon as I start shipping sales will be to wholesalers and stores and I will take down the image link in my signature. Also once I do that the price will go up to $69.99 which is the retail as I cannot and will not compete with my resellers (wholesalers and stores).

Albert

Given the amazing discount Albert is offering on the book for people on here then I would have thought thats more than enough esp as Albert is making very little on each one. However if you and the members on here would like to pay the full price then feel free to do so. Albert could then consider your idea as a reasonable request.

eddiecorrea

No the actual Vendor status. You are advertising sales here. I see that as a business or vendor. Which should support the site with a sponsorship.

Given the amazing discount Albert is offering on the book for people on here then I would have thought thats more than enough esp as Albert is making very little on each one. However if you and the members on here would like to pay the full price then feel free to do so. Albert could then consider your idea as a reasonable request.

My idea is very reasonable as is. Considering there are rules here and if anyone else comes here and says "Hey I'm selling this in bulk. Wanna buy?" People jump on them right away saying to get a vendor status. Aquaculture Ranch has a vendor account here and he isn't selling anything yet. You can't deny that Albert has made multiple sales off of this site. I can guarantee that many of the members in his facebook groups are also members here. I'm sure they have read alot about the book here and on other sites and then made the purchase.

This is nothing negative to Albert as I know the book is of very high quality. I'm just saying why should he not be a vendor here when many others already are?

No the actual Vendor status. You are advertising sales here. I see that as a business or vendor. Which should support the site with a sponsorship.

Alberts not selling them in bulk here hes sold some but a much smaller forum in the UK has sold more. So no discount sponsor. Big discount and also sponsor hardly worth it in fact it would probably cost him money. Most sponsors I would guess will sell more than a single product and will sell a lot more than any book.

My idea is very reasonable as is. Considering there are rules here and if anyone else comes here and says "Hey I'm selling this in bulk. Wanna buy?" People jump on them right away saying to get a vendor status. Aquaculture Ranch has a vendor account here and he isn't selling anything yet. You can't deny that Albert has made multiple sales off of this site. I can guarantee that many of the members in his facebook groups are also members here. I'm sure they have read alot about the book here and on other sites and then made the purchase.

This is nothing negative to Albert as I know the book is of very high quality. I'm just saying why should he not be a vendor here when many others already are?

Archived