Coral Vue Hydros

ArabTanker's Next Chapter - Photo Dump On Every Page

ArabTanker

You are using freshwater fish.... you need a saltwater variety.

20080218-swedish-fish-aquallife-package.

I knew I was doing something wrong. Very well. Ill visit the local supermar... ahem... local fish store tomorrow.

LMAO, that's funny bro.

But on a serious note, it looks like it has Ich. I hope you quarantined that cracker.

You think man? It looks happy to me. I might go as far as saying its smiling at me. :lol:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope you quarantined that cracker.

New pics look great, though the last two are a little cheesy. ;)

All these puns! :scarry:

Thanks man. :happydance:

Took a trip to Home Depot this afternoon and got me some wood. Keep in mind this is the second time I went to HD to get lumber for the stand... Ill get back to that later.

Anyway. It was fun fitting seven 2x4s in my compact sports car in the middle of the HD parking lot surrounded by huge trucks. :D I got a few funny looks to say the least.

IMAG0549copy.jpg

Fit like a glove.

IMAG0550.jpg

Le me excited to build stand.

IMAG0551.jpg

I also bought one of these with the lumber.

MiterBoxSaw.jpg

But after trying it out; I was like

1370.gif

So I went back and bought this. And I'm so happy I did.

IMAG0553.jpg

IMAG0555.jpg

BOO YAHH. All done! :happydance:

IMAG0554.jpg

Or so I thought... Remember how I said I went to HD before today to pick up lumber? Well between then and today I forgot to (re) factor the width of the sump in the design of the stand. omgomgomg. So I had 5 pieces of lumber that were too sort. Luckily, the scrap wood I produced all had a minimum length of 18"... or something - which was perfect. So I salvaged what I could and everything worked out and everyone lived happily ever after. :)

Later that day I took the women of the family dress shopping... :huh:

IMAG0557.jpg

And I came home to this!

IMAG0558.jpg

A gift from pimp4cheddar. Thanks bud :) I really appreciate it.

Today was a good day.

Bro, i don't where to start with all these awesome and not so awesomeness developments. It's like your ride was custom built for that wood, almost like you measured or something :D

Congrads on the circ saw, that was a good investment. It will come in handy for years to come. But how and the hell do you go from power tools to prom dresses? That's where Daniel Toshs lady would have recommended, you sayin ''Aint nobody got time for that''

Either way good job on Finallyyyyy starting your stand u slacker :P

Did you ever get a heater? What else are you missing to complete your setup?

Bro, i don't where to start with all these awesome and not so awesomeness developments. It's like your ride was custom built for that wood, almost like you measured or something :D

Congrads on the circ saw, that was a good investment. It will come in handy for years to come. But how and the hell do you go from power tools to prom dresses? That's where Daniel Toshs lady would have recommended, you sayin ''Aint nobody got time for that''

Either way good job on Finallyyyyy starting your stand u slacker :P

Did you ever get a heater? What else are you missing to complete your setup?

Haha. I didnt measure. I went into the store and I was like... "Owwwhhh. These are on sale." Pulled out my calculator, figured out about how many I needed, and put it on my cart. Walked to my car and I was like "Ohh shit. Are these gonna fit?" It was a fun time.

Thanks brah. Haha. See. I tried to do something manly before heading there; so buying power tools and wood working fit the bill. :happy:

Thanks man. I wanna get it done now haha. But as you can tell. Im taking EVERYTHING slow.

I have a mediocre heater I got in a trade. But I am still looking for a reliable one. Haven't really looked into one. As for missing components of the setup. Powerheads jump out in my head first. I would like an apex or RKL. I cant really think straight right now :blink: but I think thats all I need. Besides plumping parts of course.

Looking Great! Are you going bare bottom?

Thanks bud. And nawh. I have Fiji Pink sand waiting. :)

Jackal_Knight

lmao i do the same thing with wood in my little integra gotta love not having a truck. good luck with your stand I've been building mine for 3 weeks now.... i working on it at work (cuz thats where all the tools are :D ) during my lunch for about 30 min a day. so you could probably get it done in a weekend.

lmao i do the same thing with wood in my little integra gotta love not having a truck. good luck with your stand I've been building mine for 3 weeks now.... i working on it at work (cuz thats where all the tools are :D ) during my lunch for about 30 min a day. so you could probably get it done in a weekend.

Haha. Its fun. I dont like doing stuff as expected sometimes. Ahh... Its the little things.

Dang man. That takes some dedication. You've motivated me. Thank you sir.

Time to get some sleep so I can start off early. :haha:

Awesome build thread. Wish they all were like this! Little system looks like it's going to be sick! Look forward to more updates!

Nice to see someone so passionate about their tank build. Props for taking things slow, it can be very difficult to do. Also, I love your pictures, they make for a great thread.

Congratulations on the new tank ArabTanker. Looks like this is going to be a great build

Thanks Grimmpls. :D

i cant stop laughing at the goldfish and swedish fish. cant wait to see this tank setup!

Haha glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. :happy:. And im with you. I cant wait either. :P

Awesome build thread. Wish they all were like this! Little system looks like it's going to be sick! Look forward to more updates!

Thanks Mike! :blush:.

Nice to see someone so passionate about their tank build. Props for taking things slow, it can be very difficult to do. Also, I love your pictures, they make for a great thread.

Thanks fewskillz. Haha. I planned on taking the build slow... But now I just keep hitting obstacles. Today I tried finishing up the frame of the stand but my power drill doesn't hold a charge. If I had the right tools I could have finished it in... id say 2 hours. But hey, I'll make due with what I've got. Im glad you enjoy the photos. :happydance:

Gotta love those 12 longs!

Hey, great job on the sump!

:) Thanks man.

----

My spring break is almost over. I need to finish this stand soon. :unsure:

So I woke up today and pondered on about what I should do today.

I felt like getting the stand done... ish.

Keep in mind this is my first time really working with wood. I took wood shop in middle school I think. Other then that this was a pure learning experience. I used glue on all contacting surfaces and predrilled all holes for 2&1/2" screws that I counter-sank.

IMAG0559.jpg

IMAG0560.jpg

IMAG0561.jpg

Moment of truth for me fingerscrossed

IMAG0562.jpg

IMAG0563.jpg

OHH YEAHHHH. :happydance:

Set up a little paint station in my backyard

IMAG0565.jpg

Spray painted it with white Rustoleum and Krylon Fusion I had laying around.

IMAG0566.jpg

Spray paint was just an added layer to protect from moisture. After it dried I slapped on some grey Gripper primer. I put on 2 coats where the 2x4s are going to meet the plywood and 3 coats everywhere else.

IMAG0567.jpg

Now... How the hell do people skin these things. I was under the impression that my local lumber yard could cut the plywood for me but when I called today, to make sure, they said they could only make 'rough cuts'. I dont want no god damn rough cuts. What to do what to do. :tears:

You can make clean cuts into pine sheets using your saw and a guide clamped to the wood. You can cut a fairly straight line without it but you want the outside pieces to be clean and straight.

You can make clean cuts into pine sheets using your saw and a guide clamped to the wood. You can cut a fairly straight line without it but you want the outside pieces to be clean and straight.

Thats a good idea.

But I do read that HD cuts ply. I think thats my best bet. I just dont want to be an annoying customer. :blush:

Thats a good idea.

But I do read that HD cuts ply. I think thats my best bet. I just dont want to be an annoying customer. :blush:

HD and Lowes both cut wood for you. You just have to pay money after the first two cuts. So you're not really being annoying since you're paying for it. Plus they're nice too. Met a lot of cool people there.

I am te king of measuring 6 times before cutting an still getting shit not to fit. I still wound up with extra ply when I skinned my stand. Get it as close as possible. An electric sander and trim will cover any possible mess ups within reason.

The wood department at Lowe's and HD love me. My motto has always been measure one, cut twice. My wife got me a board stretcher for x-mas........best power tool ever......

HD and Lowes both cut wood for you. You just have to pay money after the first two cuts. So you're not really being annoying since you're paying for it. Plus they're nice too. Met a lot of cool people there.

Thats good to know. Hopefully I do too. Haha

I am te king of measuring 6 times before cutting an still getting shit not to fit. I still wound up with extra ply when I skinned my stand. Get it as close as possible. An electric sander and trim will cover any possible mess ups within reason.

I know exactly what you mean. Thats why I don't want to cut it myself. -_-

The wood department at Lowe's and HD love me. My motto has always been measure one, cut twice. My wife got me a board stretcher for x-mas........best power tool ever......

Hahaha. Man. I wish I had nice power tools... And a reason to use them too.

----

I guess im off to HD. omgomgomg

ya, I just throw that wood cutting bill in the trash can on my way to the cashier. The cashier don't know and Im not paying them 5 bucks to cut my hard wood

FishBrawler

Thats a good idea.

I did it for mine! Not that hard!

20121221_115546.jpg

Jackal_Knight

lol im gonna be skinning mine too! im gonna cut the wood my self gonna do it all free hand with a skill saw so hope it don't look like crap. so what finish you gonna with on your stand? im gonna try to stain mine but if it looks like hell, ill just primer over it and paint it black.

Archived