Innovative Marine Aquariums

ArabTanker's Next Chapter - Photo Dump On Every Page

ArabTanker

ya, I just throw that wood cutting bill in the trash can on my way to the cashier. The cashier don't know and Im not paying them 5 bucks to cut my hard wood

A lot of people pay more than 5 bucks to get rid of their hard wood. :lol:

But the guy who cut it for me was cool. Didnt even give me a bill. At the cashier they couldn't find the barcode on any of the pieces. So she asked me what kind it was. I could have said like 1/4" pine and saved so much money. :unsure: But hey. Honesty is the best policy. Am'I'rie?

I did it for mine! Not that hard!

You look a little too old to be going to high school. :P Hahaha

lol im gonna be skinning mine too! im gonna cut the wood my self gonna do it all free hand with a skill saw so hope it don't look like crap. so what finish you gonna with on your stand? im gonna try to stain mine but if it looks like hell, ill just primer over it and paint it black.

Good luck man. I used birch. When I had picked it out I had set my mind on using the back side of it. The front side had light grain. The side I am using now has a lot of grain. :unsure: I wanted little grain. Ohh well. Worst case I'll do the same with the paint haha. But I do plan on staining it... I think.

----

Loading up my car yesterday morning at HD

IMAG0568.jpg

How everything sits now. This is the whole project in a picture. You can see the tank and sump in the background.

IMAG0569.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMAG0569.jpg

Good job on getting all the measurements and having them cut it. It looks like it also made for easy loading to :) It's looking really good!

One concern if i may on how your stands built. I might be wrong but from i can tell. The 4 corner 2x4s that are cut short on the outside. It is very important that go all the way to the top, and rest underneath the bottom of the top 2x4. That is the most important brace because it will support the bulk of the weight. The way it looks now the majority of the weight will be on the screws. The 2x4s that you have on the inside wont do much because there not all the way to floor to ceiling. Let me see if i can find a picture to clearly show what i'm trying to say, because i think i butchered the point i was trying to make,lol.

Here's a sample from picture i pulled off Goggle real quick. Look at the outside 2x4s on corners. Those are what supports the bulk of the weight.

587c3155de_zps8c849ac3.jpg

Good job on getting all the measurements and having them cut it. It looks like it also made for easy loading to :) It's looking really good!

One concern if i may on how your stands built. I might be wrong but from i can tell. The 4 corner 2x4s that are cut short on the outside. It is very important that go all the way to the top, and rest underneath the bottom of the top 2x4. That is the most important brace because it will support the bulk of the weight. The way it looks now the majority of the weight will be on the screws. The 2x4s that you have on the inside wont do much because there not all the way to floor to ceiling. Let me see if i can find a picture to clearly show what i'm trying to say, because i think i butchered the point i was trying to make,lol.

Here's a sample from picture i pulled off Goggle real quick. Look at the outside 2x4s on corners. Those are what supports the bulk of the weight.

587c3155de_zps8c849ac3.jpg

Hello sir. Just got out work.

Uhh. I know what you're trying to say however I don't completely agree. The way I designed the stand (using a few of DIY write ups as examples) is so that all wight is held by wood, not screws.

Weight load transition: Tank, top plywood> 2x4 square frame (top)> horizontal 2x4s between top and bottom> 2x4 square frame (bottom)> floor.

The 2x4s you are referring too are simply used to hold things together. If I made it so that it went from the top to the bottom, I run the risk of having the wight load on 4 single points, rather than spread out via the bottom frame.

In retrospect, I do wish I made them a bit longer. In fact, I had intended them to be only 2" shorter than the whole stand... something went wrong. But im glad it only a minute regret.

I hope you understood what im trying to say. Been a long day.

----

Update. In the middle of skinning.

IMAG0570.jpg

Made a little mounting setup for the DJ power strip. This will be between a wall and the stand. So it will be unseen.

IMAG0571.jpg

IMAG0572.jpg

Getting there.

IMAG0573.jpg

FishBrawler

A lot of people pay more than 5 bucks to get rid of their hard wood. :lol:

But the guy who cut it for me was cool. Didnt even give me a bill. At the cashier they couldn't find the barcode on any of the pieces. So she asked me what kind it was. I could have said like 1/4" pine and saved so much money. :unsure: But hey. Honesty is the best policy. Am'I'rie?

You look a little too old to be going to high school. :P Hahaha

Good luck man. I used birch. When I had picked it out I had set my mind on using the back side of it. The front side had light grain. The side I am using now has a lot of grain. :unsure: I wanted little grain. Ohh well. Worst case I'll do the same with the paint haha. But I do plan on staining it... I think.

----

Loading up my car yesterday morning at HD

IMAG0568.jpg

How everything sits now. This is the whole project in a picture. You can see the tank and sump in the background.

IMAG0569.jpg

Haha. That was my grandpa showing me how to do the first piece! I did the rest! :P

Haha. That was my grandpa showing me how to do the first piece! I did the rest! :P

Thats what they all say.

Just read through your thread and i'm tagging along! Very exciting build! ;)

Thanks whataday. Oh man. What a day today was... -_-. Shitty time at work and back to school tomorrow. Fun. :eek:

Anyway. I hope you enjoy what is to come. :)

Anyone know how to finish birch plywood? Seems like I'm sol unless I paint it. I wanted a dark stain. Not ebony dark. More like espresso.

All I can say is use prestain and sand the wood accordingly. Apply the stain how you feel comfortable. I listened to too many people on their supposed "secrets" to an all star stain job and mine came out like poop. Haha

That birch has some very nice looking grain on it. Almost a bummer to go so dark and cover it all up though? But it would certainly hide all the seams better. Which ever way you end up going, it will look sweet.

You win on the 'stand off' im done on mine. AS IS, haha

All I can say is use prestain and sand the wood accordingly. Apply the stain how you feel comfortable. I listened to too many people on their supposed "secrets" to an all star stain job and mine came out like poop. Haha

Thats basically what I'm expecting. :(

That birch has some very nice looking grain on it. Almost a bummer to go so dark and cover it all up though? But it would certainly hide all the seams better. Which ever way you end up going, it will look sweet.

You win on the 'stand off' im done on mine. AS IS, haha

It does! And I paid good money for it too haha. If I knew I would end up painting it I would have bought some cheaper pine. Anyhow. I wanted to stain it dark because the rest of the furniture in the room is dark wood.

I have off tomorrow. Hopefully I could finish it before I have to go to work.

What do you guys think about this stoners method?

Looks pretty good. I may do it in a more wood-like color.

So. I have paint. Just no time to paint it. I was, however, able to convince my friend to come over and help me move an old-school big screen tv up stairs. Then bring the unfinished stand from upstairs to the tvs old location downstairs.

IMAG0576.jpg

This is its location. Shitty lighting but ohh-well.

IMAG0577.jpg

IMAG0578.jpg

When you first walk into the house the tank is to the left.

IMAG0579.jpg

The furniture in the room is black and brown. So I bought black and brown paint :D. I might two tone the stand or just pick one color. Or if you guys have a suggestion as to what color to make the stand, let me know.

Soon guys. I promise... -_-. Just bear with me. :tears:

I just read PAGES of someone else's thread wondering "how the #### did he move this quickly... When did he get more pages than me? Then I realized it was a threa you were posting in. Doh!

I really like that dj strip. I just picked up a mp10 shield... I'll let you know how I like it for this tank incase you're still thinking vortech.

I just read PAGES of someone else's thread wondering "how the #### did he move this quickly... When did he get more pages than me? Then I realized it was a threa you were posting in. Doh! I really like that dj strip. I just picked up a mp10 shield... I'll let you know how I like it for this tank incase you're still thinking vortech.

Haha. I wonder who's build you're talking about. I dont post in many threads. Only because I like following up on just a select few. Tehe. I think I like it too. I'll have to let you know once I use it. :P

Please do. I think im going to do what I spoke to you about a while ago. Start the cycle with just the return pump then buy a mp10. Wehshallsehh. (we shall see)

----

Small update.

The two colors I got to paint the stand.

IMAG0582.jpg

I decided to just go with brown. I might do a little black details like some trim or something.

IMAG0581.jpg

IMAG0584.jpg

IMAG0583.jpg

The paint looks a little patchy in the light... I hope its not because I didnt sand before painting. I didnt think it would make a difference. Not too big of a deal, I guess. :closedeyes:

I like that color alot. Much cleaner lookin than my stand. Good job!

Are you changing that outlet to gfci?

Thanks boss. Uhhh. Considering I had to google gfci to realize what you were talking about... no... I wasn't planning on it. Should I?

Haha. Shallow tank with an mp10 and plumbing above the outlets... It's the right thing to do. I didn't, but I was rushing, lazy, and regret it every bit. I'm not the least bit safe, either. It can not only save your expensive equipment in case of an accident, but it can also save your life and if you're comfortable doing it yourself, costs like 3 bucks.

Does the dj bar work as a surge protector too?

Jackal_Knight

Hey the stand is looking great i like the color, i like the dj power strip idea wish i would of saw that sooner so i could of got one for my stand owell to late now.

3 bucks for a gfci where are u getting them at? At home dept there 12 bucks .

Haha. Shallow tank with an mp10 and plumbing above the outlets... It's the right thing to do. I didn't, but I was rushing, lazy, and regret it every bit. I'm not the least bit safe, either. It can not only save your expensive equipment in case of an accident, but it can also save your life and if you're comfortable doing it yourself, costs like 3 bucks. Does the dj bar work as a surge protector too?

Hmm. The power strip does have a reset button, does that mean it acts like a gfci? It not, I don't mind installing one. Only problem is I don't know what breaker goes with what part of the house. Guess and checking will do I guess.

Hey the stand is looking great i like the color, i like the dj power strip idea wish i would of saw that sooner so i could of got one for my stand owell to late now. 3 bucks for a gfci where are u getting them at? At home dept there 12 bucks .

Thanks Knight. Im okay with the color. The only thing that bothers me is that it covered up the grain completely... I could have gotten away with using some cheap pine or something. Ahh well.

Im sure you can find a way to integrate a power strip. If I didn't mount it this way I would have mounted it right behind the door. Easy access is really all I was interested in.

Hmm. Reset button probaby means it is a surge protector. Don't quote me in tht though. I kind of really, REALLY want to build another stand now. Take my time and do everything 100%.

Hmm. Reset button probaby means it is a surge protector. Don't quote me in tht though. I kind of really, REALLY want to build another stand now. Take my time and do everything 100%.

I'll take a day over the summer and build it for you with the small fee of a few coral frags. :D?

Small update on the stand.

----

Got the rest of the needed plywood for the bottom, back and top of the stand. I used the same thing for the front and sides, 1/4 inch birch plywood.

http://s172.photobucket.com/user/coipo/media/IMAG0592.jpg.html'>IMAG0592.jpg

Finished up the skin and painted the outside. I siliconed the bottom of the inside and then went over the whole interior with the grey latex primer.

http://s172.photobucket.com/user/coipo/media/IMAG0593.jpg.html'>IMAG0593.jpg

I spent $100 on trim for the stand the other day. I was shocked how quick each foot added up. Ohh well, looks nice I guess. Not a completely updated photo (I finished putting on most of the trim. Just need to finish and paint it.) but its a nice teaser.

http://s172.photobucket.com/user/coipo/media/IMAG0594.jpg.html'>IMAG0594.jpg

Keep in mind this is like a weeks worth of work haha. Sunday was the first day I had off school and work in months; so I tried getting most of it done then.

Dont lose faith in me guys. The tank is coming.

Archived