inTank Media Baskets

HOB 40 Breeder***Update 5/6.... New Growth Pics!

Roshan8768

Yeah its looking good so far I've already fed it once this week, but might do a time lapse video of this thing eating. Also want to do one of those for the plate coral. My devil's hand on the other hand doesn't look so hot, it opened up on the first two days, but after that it's been closed up and shrunken down (It closed up after my water change - 5 gallons.) I know that they shed and this is normal, but I've also had a finger leather that did this and never opened back up, just dissolved away into mush. At what point should I try to move it to a higher flow location (heard this helps)? It's in the same flow as my hammer, which has just enough flow to move the polyps around a little bit.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Howdy,

noticed a few posts back you were dosing sugar. Have you considered Vinegar instead? Less side effects than sugar, which apparently can irritate some LPS corals. I learned this today reading the Ask Albert Thiel thread. :)

He linked to this article: http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/116-vinegar-dosing-methodology-for-the-marine-aquarium

I don't dose sugar as of the past couple of months. It was really just a method I employed temporarily to control a nutrient issue that I was having, right now everything seems in check. I only chose sugar because I didn't want to go through the hassle of buying vodka, and I didn't have any vinegar lying around... I will go with vinegar in the future if I start up again. Thanks for the link! B)

RyanAnthony13

Yeah its looking good so far I've already fed it once this week, but might do a time lapse video of this thing eating. Also want to do one of those for the plate coral. My devil's hand on the other hand doesn't look so hot, it opened up on the first two days, but after that it's been closed up and shrunken down (It closed up after my water change - 5 gallons.) I know that they shed and this is normal, but I've also had a finger leather that did this and never opened back up, just dissolved away into mush. At what point should I try to move it to a higher flow location (heard this helps)? It's in the same flow as my hammer, which has just enough flow to move the polyps around a little bit.

I'd say to give it some more time, sometimes when they shed and grow it takes them a good while to come back, how long has it been closed up for so far? I know I had a few leathers that didnt open for a week or two and than bam they were bigger and more vibrant that ever. I actually recently had a small acan frag of mine close up for about a week and a half and than one morning it was fully extended with some nice heads sprouting from its skeleton.

I'd say to give it some more time, sometimes when they shed and grow it takes them a good while to come back, how long has it been closed up for so far? I know I had a few leathers that didnt open for a week or two and than bam they were bigger and more vibrant that ever. I actually recently had a small acan frag of mine close up for about a week and a half and than one morning it was fully extended with some nice heads sprouting from its skeleton.

Its been closed up for about 4 days so far, there doesn't seem to be any visible slime coming off of it, so not entirely sure that it's shedding.

RyanAnthony13

Its been closed up for about 4 days so far, there doesn't seem to be any visible slime coming off of it, so not entirely sure that it's shedding.

if its 4 days than I'd def give it another couple days to open up maybe move it to a different location in the tank, where is it currently located?

if its 4 days than I'd def give it another couple days to open up maybe move it to a different location in the tank, where is it currently located?

I moved it up a little bit today and moved it to a slightly higher flow area. It was in fairly low indirect flow (where I keep my LPS). Moved it to Medium indirect flow and up about 4 inches, we'll see what happens

RyanAnthony13

I moved it up a little bit today and moved it to a slightly higher flow area. It was in fairly low indirect flow (where I keep my LPS). Moved it to Medium indirect flow and up about 4 inches, we'll see what happens

Yeah i'd leave it there and just give it time, thats mostly this hobby anyway, just time and patience. dont count it out just yet

Good news, the devil's hand seems to be partially opened up today after the main lights came on. Looking better already, so it may just have been a light/flow issue?

Update FTS 8/22/13

http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Roshan8768/media/temporary_zps27aa9e13.jpg.html'>temporary_zps27aa9e13.jpg

And one from the side, got a RBTA for $26 at a new LFS!!! It's only been in there for a day, but it has already eaten a small piece of salmon, and seems to be in good health.

http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Roshan8768/media/temporary_zpsd0773da4.jpg.html'>temporary_zpsd0773da4.jpg

Don't plan on adding anything to this tank for the rest of the year, will do my best to post updates.

Here are some shots, apologize for the (lack of) quality.

http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Roshan8768/media/temporary_zpsdca44745.jpg.html'>temporary_zpsdca44745.jpg

http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Roshan8768/media/temporary_zps69102f7a.jpg.html'>temporary_zps69102f7a.jpg

http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Roshan8768/media/temporary_zps45ed3f33.jpg.html'>temporary_zps45ed3f33.jpg

http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Roshan8768/media/temporary_zps75c3540b.jpg.html'>temporary_zps75c3540b.jpg

http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Roshan8768/media/temporary_zps9bf1aa03.jpg.html'>temporary_zps9bf1aa03.jpg

Tank looks good I guess, just a few patches of cyano here and there. Anybody think that the leather frag is in danger with the anemone being so close? I don't really want to move it because it just got used to its current location...

So I had a quick question about the flow... currently have an old K1 in there that pushes 450gph. While I was on vacation, the koralia 750 evo that I had in there had stopped and basically wasn't pushing any water. I have since then, contacted Hydor about this and they sent me a couple of new impellers and covers for the pumps to keep them from geting stuck/starting backwards. Awesome customer service, didn't even ask for proof of purchase!! Anyways, since my tank is basically a softy/lps tank do I need to put the 750 back in? My corals all looked the same if not better (opened up bigger) with only the AC110 and skimmer return for flow for a couple of months. Basically what should I have in there for flow?

I have 2 Koralia 750s and a K1 to choose from. I am also considering putting all of them in and just putting them on timers to run for half the day each, and then maybe a couple of times a day they all turn on for a "surge". What do you guys think?

I noticed your tank is near a window wich could have been a huge factor in your algae. As far as flow goes I would say try the power heads on timers for a few weeks and see how it works. I have a few wave makers at work on 75 gallon tanks and they are great. How often are you feeding the fish in the tank? What food? How often are you feeding coral? How long are your lights on daily? And what are you using to buffer the rodi water? Sorry for the barage of questions I just want to get a feel for your routine.

I noticed your tank is near a window wich could have been a huge factor in your algae. As far as flow goes I would say try the power heads on timers for a few weeks and see how it works. I have a few wave makers at work on 75 gallon tanks and they are great. How often are you feeding the fish in the tank? What food? How often are you feeding coral? How long are your lights on daily? And what are you using to buffer the rodi water? Sorry for the barage of questions I just want to get a feel for your routine.

It's in a corner that has 2 windows, but the blinds are usually drawn shut, so the sunlight that hits the tank is minimal.

I only feed 2/3 days a week, usually target feed mysis and formula 2 to the fish (turn of all the pumps and use a turkey baster to feed the fish). I only feed the corals maybe once every 2 weeks (LPS), anemones get fed once a week. There's plenty of pods in the tank, so they're getting enough to eat.

My lights are on for 10 hours.

I have never buffered the RODI (I assume you are talking about the top off).

By put the pumps on timers, which ones do you mean? All of them? Wouldn't that be too much flow since I mainly have LPS and softys? My anemone's aren't big fans of massive flow either...

I would put both pumps in and aim them so the tank gets enough flow, but not enough to make the corals angry. Flow is key to a healthy tank, regardless of the types of coral. Basically, for a softie tank, you want moderate flow and for an SPS tank you want crazy high flow. IMO :)

I would put both pumps in and aim them so the tank gets enough flow, but not enough to make the corals angry. Flow is key to a healthy tank, regardless of the types of coral. Basically, for a softie tank, you want moderate flow and for an SPS tank you want crazy high flow. IMO :)

So both 750s? Or one 750 and the K1? Or all 3?

I would put both pumps in and aim them so the tank gets enough flow, but not enough to make the corals angry. Flow is key to a healthy tank, regardless of the types of coral. Basically, for a softie tank, you want moderate flow and for an SPS tank you want crazy high flow. IMO:)

+1

Alright that makes sense... I've had trouble with running both the 750s and my anemones being really pissed off, just too much flow with the rock layout that I have. We'll see, hopefully it'll be better once I put them on timers. I might add the K1 for now, but I'll pull it after a week or two. Thanks fishkeeper and markalot!!

Its hard to get flow just right and can sometimes take a very long time to get it dialed in. My suggestion is to add one at a time and make as few adjustments as possible. I use my feeding time to observe the flow and where it takes the food when I'm dialing in a tank. Imo the less you mess around with things (moving rocks, coral, circ pumps) the better. But it is a very tough rule to live by because new coral, rock, ect. Can change the dynamic of the tank in an instant.

Archived