Top Shelf Aquatics

The V1000

jestep

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice macro growth! Could you show more of the light mod? I see the change in color with new LEDs added, what did you end up sticking with?

Actually, I just got a better camera. I couldn't get the blue out on my phone, but this one is pretty accurate with little color adjustment. I think the red macro warms up everything.

I didn't show it but the fixture is using 60 degree optics, otherwise identical to the build picture. Still have some additional LED's I've been on the fence about adding. Only running about 6 hours of photo period right now, so not sure if I need them at all. Would be nice to have actinic and moon lights though.

Hi jestep! :)

Hey. Double dose between here and ARC, huh?

• 3 weeks later...

Few more pictures. This tank was part of a budget restricted contest which is now over, so hopefully will see some more stocking soon. Maybe some zoas. Definitely a photosynthetic gorgonian or two. Was originally thinking some purple Cespitularia. These rics seem to be growing great considering I'm not feeding them or anything so will probably focus on adding some variety.

IMG_0230_1024.jpg

IMG_0225_1024.jpg

IMG_0233_1024.jpg

IMG_0240_1024.jpg

IMG_0238_1024.jpg

IMG_0236_1024.jpg

• 1 month later...

Added 4 zoa frags this weekend, Bam Bams, Eye of Rah, Green Bay Packers, and Dragon Eyes. Pictures to be added when they all open back up. 3/4 frags are open, waiting for the Bam Bam's to open back up.

I think I'm actually too nutrient deficient right now. Some of the Gracilaria is bleaching. Possible that it's getting too much light. But I think it has used up most of the nutrients in the tank. Did my 4th water change when I got back from vacation last week. Haven't tested anything but salinity in months.

Here's my total tank cost thus far. As previously stated this was originally part of a restricted contest. I'm proud of the result given how little I have spent on this tank compared to my other ones, including my freshwater tanks even.

Spec-V tank: $80
Hydor 25W Heater: $13.99
Custom LED Fixture from Rapid LED: $71.25
About 2# of Caribsea Special grade: ~$5
About 3# BRS Pukani: ~$15
Dragon's breath and Gracilaria Hayi Macroalgaes: ~$15
10 Pack of ebay Ricordea (Actually received about 15): $84

Under $300 with coral. Still sounds like a lot, but I wouldn't dare tally up my expenses for my main reef tank. I'd probably pass out considering an MP40 costs more than this entire tank by themselves.

Upcoming plans.

Hardware:

Upgrading to a Mini Jet 606 if I can find one.

InTank media rack if they ever get them into production for the spec tanks.

Livestock:

Purple Cespitularia

Something green. I'm probably the first reef keeper to say they need more green corals...

Possibly a pair of neon goby's.

Still on the fence about sexy shrimp.

Gorgonians if I can get more flow in the tank.

Your tank is looking great. I love the birdsnest. I don't think my lights are powerful enough for it so I'm a tad jealous. Post pics soon!!!!!!!!!!! :happydance:

Your tank is looking great. I love the birdsnest. I don't think my lights are powerful enough for it so I'm a tad jealous. Post pics soon!!!!!!!!!!! :happydance:

Thank you. It's actually all macros but the gracilaria hayi has enough structure to look like coral.

Here's a current cellphone shot. Having some macro bleaching problems. Still haven't determined if it's lack of nutrients or too intense lighting, or a combination of both. If anyone here has a good explanation of hayi bleaching I would like to know. Leaning towards too much lighting just because I'm getting some light cyano growth which would suggest there is some nutrients in the tank. All of my testing shows unmeasurable NO3 and PO4 by salifert and hanna.

IMAG1097%20(Custom).jpg

Wow. totally thought a small portion was birdsnest. I'm betting it's the lighting if you've got some cyano going on. :/ I kinda have the same problem. Can you insert a dimmer?

Wow. totally thought a small portion was birdsnest. I'm betting it's the lighting if you've got some cyano going on. :/ I kinda have the same problem. Can you insert a dimmer?

There's one on there. I think I had it turned up too high. I kept the photo period the same but reduced the intensity about 50%. Hoping it will recover without any detriment to the coral. It grows fast enough I could just remove the white tips but figured I'd see if dimming alone allows it to come back.

There's one on there. I think I had it turned up too high. I kept the photo period the same but reduced the intensity about 50%. Hoping it will recover without any detriment to the coral. It grows fast enough I could just remove the white tips but figured I'd see if dimming alone allows it to come back.

I'm sure it will get better. Where did you get your macro? How long is your photo period?

• 1 month later...

Backed off my lighting intensity and did a water change using my main tank water and it looks like I curbed the gracillaria hayi recession. I don't like making multiple changes at the same time, but was at risk for losing my hayi at the rate it was bleaching. You can still see the white tips but the bleaching has stopped as far as I can tell. Also had to add some GFO for a cyano outbreak. No question my rock started leaching PO4 into the tank. Was measuring undetectable NO3 and way too high PO4. Really bazaar having to intentionally add nitrates to a tank while having to chemically remove PO4 with no fish in the tank.

IMG_0432_1024.jpg

Dragon's breath on the right, hayi on the left:

IMG_0425_1024.jpg

Bam bam's. One of the four zoa frags I added a few months ago:

IMG_0426_1024.jpg

Eye of rah zoas:

IMG_0427_1024.jpg

• 1 month later...

What happened to the little bleached ricordia? Is it still alive?

I don't think he made it. But I don't remember looking for a long time. Might have to see if I can find him or the rubble he was on at least.

The macros look great! Can't find any where I'm at :(

By the looks of it, you don't have a CUC, how's that working for you?

Thanks. I ordered these from http://www.live-plants.com/. Their costs and shipping are very reasonable. Most of the red is gracilaria hayi and not dragons breath. The hayi has very good structure so it is easy to scape with.

The pico has about a million pods, asterina stars, bristle worms, and colonista snails. With the exception of some film algae on the glass there's very little problem. mainly due to no stocking. The rock is leaching some PO4 so I've had a little cyano, but a tsp of GFO knocked it out in a few days.

I actually all but stopped with any CUC on all of my tanks. I've found that they just slowly but constantly die off and contribute to a higher nutrient load in the tank. A few nerites or truchus or a turbo if the tank is large enough is probably all I would go with at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice...following!

Saw you commented ont he FLuval V thread in the inTank Forum. Did you get a 606 and media basket? My 606 went in without a hitch except as noted on that thread, and was quickly fixed by putting the suction cups in as described.

My media basket was just delivered...will install tonight!

Nice...following!

Saw you commented ont he FLuval V thread in the inTank Forum. Did you get a 606 and media basket? My 606 went in without a hitch except as noted on that thread, and was quickly fixed by putting the suction cups in as described.

My media basket was just delivered...will install tonight!

I had previously purchased the 606 and then got the media basket as soon as they were released. I'm very impressed with the surface skimming. There was virtually none before and now the surface is very clear.

I am also running it on a hydor rotating deflector but my colonista snails keep clogging it up so I have to shake and/or grind them out every other day.

Also started feeding my ricordea, hopefully will get some more growth from them. It's fairly entertaining watching them eat pellets. Almost time lapse how long it takes them to get food to their mouth.

I am also running it on a hydor rotating deflector but my colonista snails keep clogging it up so I have to shake and/or grind them out every other day.

I like the idea of variable flow pattern that this would give me, but I am afraid it would look huge and awkward in the 2G Spec.

I like the idea of variable flow pattern that this would give me, but I am afraid it would look huge and awkward in the 2G Spec.

Yeah, it would have a decent footprint in the 2g. Is your sand being blasted by the 606? I though it was too much flow in the 5 without the deflector.

Archived