Pod Your Reef

The Arachnophoto Thread

Lalani

For the sake of trying to reference how large your "pet" is. Is that bowl about the size that bettas get sold in?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys! :D

Its hard to get pics of it right now because its in a plastic container (not good to shoot through) and any time I pop the lid off Tony freaks out and hides... its super fast. Once it gets bigger, it'll be rehoused to a glass tank where it'll be easier to photography.

Its been working hard at webbing the place up!

IMG_3002_zpse0e30512.jpg

IMG_3008_zps1cf29700.jpg

You named him Tony?

:lol:

They are prolific webbers, soon enough the whole container will be white. Has it started fasting yet?

Yes, GBBs are great webbers, and it fasted as part of its pre-molt behavior a few weeks ago.

For the sake of trying to reference how large your "pet" is. Is that bowl about the size that bettas get sold in?

That's exactly what it is, a betta container. ;)

It's approx. 4 1/2in. in diameter. The sling (spiderling) is quite small!

You named him Tony?

:lol:

Tony or Toni depending on gender. Won't know which for a while yet!

Yes, GBBs are great webbers, and it fasted as part of its pre-molt behavior a few weeks ago.

Maybe it will start showing some blue soon. I remember, not only do they web a lot but they're quite skittish....

...and will do a lot of this

img1147t.jpg

It's already showing a little bit of blue in the right light:

IMG_2765_zps3d390d48.jpg

:happy:

And ugh, I think I got hit by some of those urticating hairs last week. Three spots on my hand burned like fire for hours. Not fun. :/

• 4 weeks later...

When I saw this my first thought was " oh it's so small, I could own one of those and really enjoy it"

After doing some more research, no thank you.

Still, I'm liking the pics!

So this cute little jumping spider was terrorizing the ladies of my family during a crawfish boil last weekend so I picked it up to show them it was harmless then let him go. I think he liked me. :happy:

IMG_3224_zpsa6ce4a51.jpg

IMG_3228_zps15d3c80c.jpg

Toni molted last week and has eaten quite well since but she's been staying in her hide... haven't been able to get a good look at her or any pics. Sigh.

Nice! Pictures please :flower:

Here's the latest pic of the A. versicolor. I was hoping for a female but meh. Looks like he won't be long for this world.

DSC02483.jpg

Here's when I got him.

DSC08235.jpg

Here's some old pics of the others.

G. rosea

DSC08185.jpg

B. emilia

DSC08180.jpg

B. smithi

DSC08187.jpg

And those which have gone to that great web in the sky. RIP. :(

B. klaasi

DSC08182.jpg

Paraphysa scrofa

DSC06283.jpg

Ooh, they all look so great! :happy:

Sorry about the ones you've lost and that the versicolor is a male. I'm really really hoping Toni is female. And now I've got the itch to get a couple more T's, but I must resist..

No qualms about handling them? I'd love to handle Toni but she's so skittish and fast.

Ooh, they all look so great! :happy:

Sorry about the ones you've lost and that the versicolor is a male. I'm really really hoping Toni is female. And now I've got the itch to get a couple more T's, but I must resist..

No qualms about handling them? I'd love to handle Toni but she's so skittish and fast.

Thank you. No qualms about handling but I really don't handle them that much anyway except for cleaning. For New World species, mine are quite flicky. Imagine if I'd have gotten a B. boehmei. I've never seen a calm one yet. And Old World ones are downright scarier for me. Ever see a Haplopelma lividum move and threaten? Ugh.

Hehe, ya some of them are scary.

I've been drooling over the P. metallica.. those are gorgeous.

The avics are cute too. Heck, I may end up with one of each type: avic, pokie, and one of the terrestrials. I'm not too interested in the burrowing Ts.

All day yesterday Toni was hiding, then as soon as the lights went out I looked with a red flashlight and she was sitting in the middle of the container, stretched out on her web, that bitch, lol. She's chilling out on the top of her hide right now, so I'll see if I can get a couple of shots of her.

Oh the pokies. They're one of the more expensive t's. Not for me, I prefer ones that are more handleable, even if I don't handle them much.

Yep, a fellow hobbyist here commented on burrowing species and trapdoors. He said it's like you have a pet hole. :lol: You hardly ever see them except when they're grabbing prey and woosh! Gone in an instant again.

Oh hey I saw this on Yahoo! just now.

http://news.yahoo.com/meet-tarantula-big-face-142024417.html

Avics are nice. I also like Honduran curly hairs. Getting another pet is the last thing I need right now though, haha. Are you getting another anytime soon?

Soon? Probably not, too many other things going on.... but you never know, I might just cave in one day and buy a bunch. :scarry:

This is so cool but I'm pretty sure my wife would move out if I ever came home with one. I love your photography lalani!

You can hide them easily! :P

Toni has been out and about a lot these past couple of days but she stays up near the lid of the container, making it impossible to photograph her.... So tempted to put her in a 2.5gal or 5.5gal tank already....

She decided to come out today in full view.. still can't wait to get her into a glass tank for clearer pics.

IMG_3453_zps44b420f3.jpg

IMG_3457_zps43e67ef8.jpg

IMG_3458_zps9d63fc8a.jpg

IMG_3473_zpsac417e92.jpg

IMG_3475_zps66c1beca.jpg

Cool spiders lani. My GF wants to get some but I won't allow that as the tank situation is getting a little nuts now a days. Do you handle them often? I'd be to much a nancy to touch a spider w fangs like that. Also what's the life expectancy of the bird eater?

Archived