ReefCleaners.org

The Arachnophoto Thread

Lalani

So I dunno where else to put pictures of Toni/y the tarantula, so I'll post them here. :)

Its a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, aka Green Bottle Blue.

Finally spruced the enclosure up with some fake plants, it seems to like it:

IMG_2875_zps4d12c156.jpg

Checking out the vent hole:

IMG_2878_zps7e7d42eb.jpg

It is quite the contortionist, bath time:

IMG_2828_zps29b96624.jpg

And a very enthusiastic feeder!:

IMG_2883_zps3cac698e.jpg

IMG_2892_zpsac3304d2.jpg

Does anybody else have spidies?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LarryMoeCurly

I thought (and thoroughly researched) getting a B. smithi a while back. It would likely not be able to live with me at school though, and my parents were not fond of having a huge tarantula in the house. Perhaps some day...

I thought (and thoroughly researched) getting a B. smithi a while back. It would likely not be able to live with me at school though, and my parents were not fond of having a huge tarantula in the house. Perhaps some day...

You should get one! My aunt kept a B. smithi for 22 years. :happy:

You could do like me and get a sling.

This is actually a beautiful specie, I used to have one. They are deep metallic blue & orange when they are sub-adult.

I have a ton of photos like this in my old hard drive.

This is actually a beautiful specie, I used to have one. They are deep metallic blue & orange when they are sub-adult.

I have a ton of photos like this in my old hard drive.

Nice! How long did you have yours?

I can't wait for mine to get some more blue showing. And its really surprising at how fast these guys grow.

You're picture quality is amazing! What sort of camera do u use?

Thanks, its a Canon T2i and Canon 100mm. (in my sig) :)

Nice! How long did you have yours?

I can't wait for mine to get some more blue showing. And its really surprising at how fast these guys grow.

I had mine for about a year, it turned out to be a male. I'm guessing you know what happens to males.

Spiders really creep me out. I love looking at photos of them and seeing other people's pets. But I don't think i could ever own one or let one crawl on me. I try and capture any in my place and let them outside, but it doesn't always happen.

A buddy of mine in college had these two aggressive blue tarantulas that had no lid for their terrarium. He used CDs that he layered to keep them in. Too bad one got out. It was out and being all terrifying and creepy for 3 weeks. THREE WEEKS!!!!! How his roommates were ok with it and didn't kill it is beyond me.

They're not aggressive in nature, more defensive. I used to have a few and have handle many of them. Your friend probably had a Haplopelma lividum "Cobalt blue" and are one of the more defensive species. The feistiest tarantula I've ever owned would probably be a Pterinochilus murinus, aka OBT "orange bitey thing".

LarryMoeCurly

You should get one! My aunt kept a B. smithi for 22 years. :happy:

You could do like me and get a sling.

Awww, yup, they only live between 2 and 4 years. I'm really hoping I have a female!

This is one of the other reasons I didn't get one. I looked into getting a sling and ordering online was basically the only viable option. It would have likely cost nearly $50 for the sling and shipping. Guaranteed females can easily be over $100 (they aren't "slings" at this point, obviously).

So I dunno where else to put pictures of Toni/y the tarantula, so I'll post them here. :)

Its a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, aka Green Bottle Blue.

Finally spruced the enclosure up with some fake plants, it seems to like it:

IMG_2875_zps4d12c156.jpg

Checking out the vent hole:

IMG_2878_zps7e7d42eb.jpg

It is quite the contortionist, bath time:

IMG_2828_zps29b96624.jpg

And a very enthusiastic feeder!:

IMG_2883_zps3cac698e.jpg

IMG_2892_zpsac3304d2.jpg

Does anybody else have spidies?

Wow awesome shots!

Thanks guys! :D

Its hard to get pics of it right now because its in a plastic container (not good to shoot through) and any time I pop the lid off Tony freaks out and hides... its super fast. Once it gets bigger, it'll be rehoused to a glass tank where it'll be easier to photograph.

Its been working hard at webbing the place up!

IMG_3002_zpse0e30512.jpg

IMG_3008_zps1cf29700.jpg

Archived