inTank Media Baskets

Sage's Crescent Tidepool Tank

sageblade24

Start: For a while now I have been living with a dream that has really become an obsession. My current tank was not feeding my reefing appetite so I broke it down into a 29 biocube. I have started getting quotes on a custom tank and also working with local stores to get the best prices. I want to have this tank fully operational by end of 2013.

Concept: Shallow, look-down, crescent, tidepool, rimless glass cube tank.

Explanation: Basically this will feed many things I love about the current trends with my own personal twists. First of all, the tank will be a shallow tank because I love the look it gives off of a shallow area you could literally reach into on the shore. Growing up in California around the tidepools was awesome and I really want to recreate the look. Lots of empty space to appreciate the non-empty space. Look-down because the best part about going to a nice LFS is looking down into the frag tanks and reef systems and seeing from a god's eye view. I feel you see the coral's true colors from the top.

The tank will stand just high enough to see over without struggling as well sit down at the dinner table to look into. Rimless because plastic rims drive me insane and really ruin the whole exposure to having the ocean in your house. I picked a crescent rockwork mainly because I have never really seen another tank that pulled it off. Considering it doesn't really work unless your seeing it from the top I thought it was perfect for this tank. I am also thinking about a method to pump water into the center of the crescent and letting the water flow out and around the rockwork which is kind of like a tidepool. The overflow is island style with no box so that I can place the plumbing within the rockwork.

Not really cube but square length and width to fit the specific rockwork design. I picked 18" tall because the water level will be around 14"-16" and I want to be able to put a top on it for jumpers when im not around to enjoy it. I also want to leave some rock exposed to air for the possibility of acquiring hawaiian fiddlers. Glass because I honestly just do not like acrylic. I also want to do a display sump with 50% macro refuge and the back half not exposed to viewers with equipment, return pump and so on.

Objective: I want this tank to be creative, attractive, fun, and clean. Basically anything you would want for a tank.

Equipment:

Display: 36" x 36" x 18" Custom Rimless Glass Tank (approx. 100 Gallons)

Sump: 50/50 Refugium/Sump (Not sure about the dimensions yet, will decide once the stand is made)

Stand: Custom built stand (38" x 38" x 26" ish)

Lighting: Custom built Full Spectrum LED Array (specifications unknown at the moment)

More to Come...

Livestock:

Fish: Red Sea Tang, Pair of Designer Clowns (Prefer Black Ice), Dragonet Pair, and More...

Inverts: The usual, Clams, Blue and Orange Knuckle Hermits, large anenome (possibly rose tip), hawaiian fiddlers, and More...

Coral: Mainly Z&P's and softies, secondly LPS, and a few SPS

Macro: Dragon's Breath, ochtodes, and others...

Last Thoughts:

Please provide feedback what you think of my concept and stick around for the ride as well. I am about to put a deposit down on the tank and within the next few weeks get the stand built. I will try to keep this updated as much as possible and I hope you enjoy.

Current Stand - (3/12/2013)

549178_10151521078677891_1520613793_n.jp

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds really nice to me, definitely keep us updated on your progress.

What are your intentions for providing flow in the tank?

The 1" return may or may not be branched into multiple returns into the tank to provide an overall flow. I think 2 MP10s should handle the rest of the flow but I plan on getting one for the beginning and seeing how that goes first.

Sounds like a cool dream of a tank.. Any news on when the tank will be built?

The quote I am probably going to go with may take up to 6 months but I am hoping it won't be that long. As you noticed I hoped to have it up by end of this year considering the build time for the tank.

Thats sounds like you got some time to get stuff ordered. When I built my fish tank room it took 10 months to get it done .. Had the tank for 6 months out of the ten so time will come and go fast

Thats sounds like you got some time to get stuff ordered. When I built my fish tank room it took 10 months to get it done .. Had the tank for 6 months out of the ten so time will come and go fast

I am hoping with the custom led setup and the stand i should be occupied enough where I won't be looking at my phone every hour hoping for news on the tank.

Just got the tank invoice today.

Sounds great, can we get some pics?

Once I get something worth taking pictures of I will. Hopefully I can start on the stand this weekend.

Right now I am fighting off the large amount of aptasia I had from my previous tank in a 29 gallon biocube with 3 peppermint shrimp. It has been a little over a week and 50% of the aptasia seem to be gone.

sageblade24

:) Sounds good. What are you planning on adding fish-wise?

Well. I really want a pair of Black Ice Clowns. I want 1 or 2 tangs preferrably Red Sea and Purple Tang. A couple schooling fish would be pretty awesome too.

sageblade24

So far with the stand frame built the inside of it leaves me with about 30"x30"x20" to play with for the sump and other things.

Probably going to wrap the frame in cherry and add a shelf on the front of the stand made out of granite or quartz for a working surface and to look good.

Nice! i was trying to visualize how big this tank is going to be and 36x36 is huge! I think its going to be awesome. Its literally half of my tank 18x18x9 haha

sageblade24

Nice! i was trying to visualize how big this tank is going to be and 36x36 is huge! I think its going to be awesome. Its literally half of my tank 18x18x9 haha

More like 1/8th :P

• 2 weeks later...
sageblade24

No new work on so far. Was raining all weekend so I couldn't cut the shelves for the sump and display.

Still picking out a fancy wood type to wrap the stand in as well.

polarblair2000

Sounds like this will be awesome - as it is very similar to mine B)

Yours its a bit bigger though, I wanted to go 36x36 but I ended up going 32x32 due to... well... no I can't think of a good excuse, my wife said no thats pretty much what happened. But I feel my tank is huge and I think the extra 4" on either end will make yours feel gigantic.

You really will love looking at it from the top down. I love it when I turn off all the pumps and feed my corals in the tank as you get a fantastic view. I just uploaded some new pictures of my tank in my thread yesterday - I just added all my livestock over the other week so its still in its early stages.

Archived