SaltCritters.com

First Build and Introduction - 12 Gallon Long

HatrickSwayzee

HatrickSwayzee

Hey everyone! I'm completely new to this forum and the Reef-keeping hobby. I have, however, been the proud owner of a 2.2 gallon Beta tank for a whole 2 months. I got a little kit for my 3-year old and when I went into my LFS to see if I could put an African frog or some inverts into his tank I wandered into the Saltwater section and got bit by the reef bug. My wife was even on board with everything so I had to take advantage before she could change her mind.

I was planning on getting all my equipment at one time with my bonus, but we've decided to go to Hawaii instead of fund my new hobby right away. I was going to start my build thread at that point to document my progress and get everyone's feedback, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to introduce myself and get some feedback on my equipment/stocking ideas before spending any money. This way I can start piecing out my equipment that I've settled on and be up and running as soon as I can.

So, without further ado, here are my equipment plans.

Aquarium

Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon Long

- Is there any information I should know regarding these long, shallow tanks in regards to livestock options and/or lighting?

Filter

Aquaclear Power Filter AC20 AC70 with InTank media basket mod for filter floss, Chemi-Pure and Purigen. May possibly add Chaeto.

Heater

Hydor 50w Submersible Aquarium Heater Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm Heater 100W

- Will a 50w heater suffice in a 12 gallon tank? I think the general rule is 3w per gallon, right?

Water Circulation

2 x Koralia Nano 240

- Will 2 Koralia's along with the AC20 AC70 be overkill in this tank?

- May possibly change this to a single Koralia Nano 425.

- Does anyone with a tank this dimension have any comments regarding pump placement?

Lighting

36" 156w (4 x 39w) T5 HO Quad Deluxe Light Fixture w/ Digital Timer from aquatraders.

Live Rock and Substrate

12 lbs. Live Rock

1-2 in. Crystal Reef Live Sand Pure White Aragonite

General Equipment

General Tools AQ150 Digital Aquarium Thermometer

Salinity Refractometer, Aquarium & Seawater - Dual Scale (1.0 to 1.070 SG)

API Saltwater Master Test Kit

Livestock (Fish)

Ocellaris Clownfish Pair

- I haven't decided on the 3rd fish just yet. I was thinking of maybe a Cherub Angelfish because I want a fish that'll swim in the water column, however I'm not sure they're reef safe or do well in a 12L. Can anyone comment? I've seen differing opinions on a Cherub Angelfish in a nano. Can anyone recommend another fish?

Livestock (Inverts)

Cleanup Crew of Dwarf Ceriths, Nassarius, Florida Ceriths, and Nerite snails from reefcleaners.

1 x Peppermint Shrimp

2 x Sexy Shrimp

1 x Pom Pom Crab

- Would anyone consider this overstocking?

Corals

Torch Coral

Various Mushrooms

Bubble Coral

Various Zoas

Emerald Grandis Paly

Toadstool

I've started up a Google Drive list of all my equipment. I didn't list everything here for the sake of actually wanting people to read this, but if you have the time, please fill free to click on the link and let me know your thoughts on all the equipment I've picked out. Please note that I have prices on that chart, but most of those are just estimations. I have no idea if the Google Drive doc will be worthwhile, but I figure I should give it a shot. Maybe it works and someone finds it useful to create themselves.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9W9eTlaC0QqVy1PQWtZc2Z6X3c/edit?usp=sharing

So, what does everyone think? Please leave any and all comments/critiques. Thanks for reading!

Chris

Aquarium

Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon Long

- Is there any information I should know regarding these long, shallow tanks in regards to livestock options and/or lighting? It's going to be a shallow tank, so anything that doesn't like lots of light (and you have LOTS of light), may get cranky.

Filter

Aquaclear Power Filter AC20 with InTank media basket mod for filter floss, Chemi-Pure and Purigen.

Heater

Hydor 50w Submersible Aquarium Heater

- Will a 50w heater suffice in a 12 gallon tank? I think the general rule is 3w per gallon, right? Should be ok, just watch your thermometer, if it isn't holding a stable temp or your heater is always on, you may want to step up to a 100

Water Circulation

2 x Koralia Nano 240

- Will 2 Koralia's along with the AC20 be overkill in this tank? No, it's not, flow is good.

- Does anyone with a tank this dimension have any comments regarding pump placement? Whatever you like, and your livestock likes.

Lighting

36" 156w (4 x 39w) T5 HO Quad Deluxe Light Fixture w/ Digital Timer from aquatraders.

Live Rock and Substrate

12 lbs. Live Rock

1-2 in. Crystal Reef Live Sand Pure White Aragonite

General Equipment

General Tools AQ150 Digital Aquarium Thermometer

Salinity Refractometer, Aquarium & Seawater - Dual Scale (1.0 to 1.070 SG)

API Saltwater Master Test Kit

Livestock (Fish)

Ocellaris Clownfish Pair

- I haven't decided on the 3rd fish just yet. I was thinking of maybe a Cherub Angelfish because I want a fish that'll swim in the water column, however I'm not sure they're reef safe or do well in a 12L. Can anyone comment? I've seen differing opinions on a Cherub Angelfish in a nano. Can anyone recommend another fish? Depending on who you talk to Cherubs are either safe or will nip at SPS ans other corals. Not for nothing, but I think you are fine in a 12G staying with the pair of clowns, but that's just MO.

Livestock (Inverts)

Cleanup Crew of Dwarf Ceriths, Nassarius, Florida Ceriths, and Nerite snails from reefcleaners.

1 x Peppermint Shrimp

2 x Sexy Shrimp

1 x Pom Pom Crab

- Would anyone consider this overstocking? No, but I wouldn't do much more

Corals

Torch Coral

Various Mushrooms

Bubble Coral

Various Zoas

Emerald Grandis Paly

Toadstool

Since you are new to reefing, go slow,(get a good test kit!) watch whats going on and RESEARCH everything! Then once you do that, take all the information you have, ignore 80% of it, and make up your own mind.

One thing I learned about this hobby, is you will go crazy trying to stay up with everyone's opinions. Do your best to sort out the facts from opinions, that's the hardest thing for a noob.

Most of all, have fun doing it. Good luck.

HatrickSwayzee

Since you are new to reefing, go slow,(get a good test kit!) watch whats going on and RESEARCH everything! Then once you do that, take all the information you have, ignore 80% of it, and make up your own mind.

One thing I learned about this hobby, is you will go crazy trying to stay up with everyone's opinions. Do your best to sort out the facts from opinions, that's the hardest thing for a noob.

Most of all, have fun doing it. Good luck.

The lighting was giving me the most problems as there are just too many options. I've read some threads regarding shallow tanks and I figured a 4-bulb setup would work so long as I start with a short photoperiod and work up to a longer one.

Damn, was typing a post and lost it. Will re-write condensed style as I have lack the effort to do it again.

Off to good start. Look at LEDs for lighting. Look at PAR bulbs, GU10 bulbs, DIY or buildmyled.com. LEDs save money: no replacement bulbs and less power consumption.

Stay away from AquaTraders. If you do get it, get new better bulbs. That light seems like way over kill.

Always start with the best you can, upgrading as you go along sucks.

Good luck.

Oh, and would definitely get a min 100w heater.

U could get a 2 bulb t5 and be able to grow anything. To me LEDs don't make sense on this tank cuz it's so long and small. 4 bulbs would be way overkill. Just grab an aquaticlife 36" dual bulb t5 fixture and you'll be golden.

Oh and btw I have a cherub and he's awesome. Never picked on corals (or other fish) and I think he's be fine in ur tank.

HatrickSwayzee

Stay away from AquaTraders. If you do get it, get new better bulbs.

Is the problem with just the bulbs and hardware or was your problem with them concerning customer service?

Is the problem with just the bulbs and hardware or was your problem with them concerning customer service?

bulbs=bad hardware=getting better, but i'd still install extra fire alarms, customer service=would really like to talk to someone who speaks and understands english

You are getting good advice so far. Another T5 option is the fishneedit fixture. You will need to replace the bulbs, but the fixture is nice for the price. It is passive cooled, and it even flips up to get out of your way.

I was going to suggest another fish. I am a huge fan of tailspot blennies. They stay small, have tons of personality, and they will clean algae off your rocks (almost as well as a tang).

I would probably get at least the ac 50 if not 70. Probably the 70. And I would get the hydor nano 425 instead of two 240's. Less stuff plugged in and in your tank. Other than that sounds great.

HatrickSwayzee

You are getting good advice so far. Another T5 option is the fishneedit fixture. You will need to replace the bulbs, but the fixture is nice for the price. It is passive cooled, and it even flips up to get out of your way.

Thanks for the heads up regarding fishneedit.com. I'll go with their 36", 2-bulb T5 HO fixture.

I would probably get at least the ac 50 if not 70. Probably the 70. And I would get the hydor nano 425 instead of two 240's. Less stuff plugged in and in your tank. Other than that sounds great.

Why should I go with the AC 50 or 70 instead of the 20?

Why should I go with the AC 50 or 70 instead of the 20?

More flow.

More flow = GOOD :D

Plus the AC50's and 70's can be modded to run as a makeshift fuge. there are even sites which sell acrylic baskets for the 70 which run it as a mini fuge.

In a reef flow is very important and often under discussed. Now you don't want to be blowing the water through the front of the glass, but a decent motion to your mini ocean is important. :happy:

Just for reference, I have seen people running 3 and 5 gallon Picos with AC70's on board.

HatrickSwayzee

Since a dual-bulb T5 light fixture seems like it'll be sufficient lighting for my tank and growing whatever corals I choose, I searched for a few different options. This is what I came up with:

http://www.fishneedit.com/t5ho-3ft--2lamp-aquarium-light.html

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+13822+23753&pcatid=23753

http://www.amazon.com/Db-Solarmaxh02-Double-Strip-led/dp/B003I5VO6I/ref=sr_1_10?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1362037257&sr=1-10

They're all 36" T5 fixtures and are somewhat closely priced. Does anyone have any problems with any of these manufacturers? I was thinking I might go for the Deep Blue Solarmax since it has the Moonlight LEDs.

Ac 70 more flow yes but more importantly more filter volume. Can use more media or a fuge or both in the 70 and 110.

HatrickSwayzee

My bonus came early! I was ready to pull the trigger on the 12L tank, but I was at the LFS by my in-laws (Fish Collection in Placentia, CA) and Jimmy had a Nano Cube 12 on display. I liked what I saw and was thinking it'd be more simple to just get an AIO tank, especially considering I'd have to make room for a stand that was at least 36" long.

It's funny. Now that I actually have my funds to jump into the hobby, I can't make my decision. So, for all of you that have both an AIO and a tank you've put together from scratch, what would you recommend? In my case it's the 12L Mr. Aqua with AC70 or a Coralife Bio Cube 14. Would the AIO provide any benefits for a complete rookie or are the requirements essentially the same? I thought there'd be a cost-savings with one of the options, but the difference is so minimal it won't really have an affect on my decision.

Thanks again for all the comments! These boards are beyond helpful. In my other hobbies, I've found forums to be hit-or-miss in regards to how helpful/welcoming everyone is.

AIO are going to be a little more noob friendly but building it all yourself and having the option to add and change equipment will make you a more experienced reefer and probably increase your enjoyment.

The 12L is a unique tank. The hardest part is flow and lighting. If you go with an AC filter I would measure their widths and get one that fits on the end. Place your powerhead on the other side. Or you can put the filter in the back center of the tank and put a powerhead on each end. The tank is so narrow that you want most of your water flowing the entire length of the tank.

For the light I went with LEDs, if you decide to go T5s 2 bulbs is plenty. Your color options are a little more limited but 4 bulbs are overkill. And those fixtures are wider than the tank is. With my LED light I even ended up covering a majority of my LEDs as they were too bright and turning a lot of my corals pale or white. The tank is so shallow that a small amount of light is going to grow most things.

Most of it just comes down to aesthetics of the fixture that you like and it being long and narrow.

As for fish you have a little more flexibility than the 12 gallon cube people. With 36" of swimming room you can have fish that are more active swimmers and are rated for tanks in the 20-30 gallon region (still too small for any tang but the dwarf angels are doable).

Kfmmartin19

I can tell u from experience that I got a Biocube 29 for my first tank and looking back I wish I would have got a mr aqua 12 despite the fact that its less than half the size. AIOs seem nice and easy until u want to mod the lights, mod the filter, mod the flow, etc. At that point, it would have been cheaper, easier, and looked nicer just to have bought all the stuff to begin with.

Not to mention the mr aqua 12 has sick dimensions. Ur stocking will be much less limited with it too.

HatrickSwayzee

Not to mention the mr aqua 12 has sick dimensions. Ur stocking will be much less limited with it too.

As for fish you have a little more flexibility than the 12 gallon cube people. With 36" of swimming room you can have fish that are more active swimmers and are rated for tanks in the 20-30 gallon region (still too small for any tang but the dwarf angels are doable).

Could you guys give some examples of fish I could put in the 12L that I wouldn't normally be able to in a standard 12G tank?

Kfmmartin19

Could you guys give some examples of fish I could put in the 12L that I wouldn't be normally able to in a standard 12G tank?

I would imagine different wrasses like flasher wrasses, etc., also some dwarf angels like cherub or flameback, Midas Blenny...those r ones that come to mind.
kriskristofferzen

Get a pair of phantom clowns and call it a day;) look up bowfish aquariums they have some good stuff in stock. They r a sponsor on here.

I got a small nano and customized it. You'll get much more enjoyment,IMO; from the 12 g mr aqua.!

I would try googling a company called build my led, based in TX. They Are awesome all American made product and they from what I remember have a 36 inch fixture that you can mix with a dimmer, they also have options to hang on the tank or over it with a hanging kit. I will use them for my next build.

For your AC check out the sponsor forums, either InTank or Badfishreef systems both have options for hob filter that you can use for media and stuff. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
HatrickSwayzee

Against everyone's advice, I went with the BioCube 14. Not because sound advice wasn't provided, but my decision was based solely on space requirements. The only place I would've been able to place a 36" long tank is within reach of my two sons who are 3 and 1 years old. I just know random things would've ended up in the tank like toys and mac and cheese. Or worse yet, just completely yanked off the stand and hurting one of my kids, let alone demolishing the tank. By the time it's all said and done, too much time and money would've went into the tank only to have it come undone by my kids.

Some items, like the BioCube, media baskets, and test kits have come in, but there are still many things left to purchase before I can even start the cycle. Once that's ready to start I'll be starting my build thread. So thanks to everyone for their comments and advice! It's invaluable to someone with no prior knowledge of saltwater aquariums.

177dafcb-60a8-441f-86dc-0f7e7165a4d1_zps

• 3 years later...

Archived