Coral Vue Hydros

Supermarvin's PicO III

supermarvin76

supermarvin76

Ok Ok.... Here we go.

You may or may not have seen a thread I started a couple weeks ago where I wanted to plan a tank with a budget of about $600 including everything: the tank, stand, RODI, test kits, you name it, I needed it. Well, unfortunately I have little self control when I am not being monitored, and the tank planning is in full swing and the "budget" is blown. Big time.

About 10 years ago I was really getting into tanks, and making all the rookie mistakes. Crushed coral substrate, began with a canister filter and then upgraded to a wet/dry, changed the substrate to sand, added live rock slowly, had shoddy lights, not enough flow. Topped off from a less than suitable water supply.

So here I go with what started as a "$600 budget"...

• PicO III from PicO Aquariums
  • AI Sol Nano
  • Tunze 9002 skimmer replaced in September with a Cad Lights PLS-50
  • Vortec MP10
  • Tunze Nano ATO
  • BRS RODI
  • New 29 gallon Bio Cube stand
  • Mr Aqua 18" placement mat- although I think it's a tad too small
  • 50 W Ehiem Jager heater- oops, I think I need the 100W
  • AI Sol controller
  • 20 pounds of Fiji Pink Arag-Alive
  • 20 gallon Brute can
  • about 16 lbs live rock

25 Sept 2013:

1 Sept 2013

Aug302013FTS_zps6aa6449f.jpg

June 8, 2013

FTSJune2013_zps5d923e9b.jpg

March 24, 2013:

IMG_3636_zpsb406b6a6.jpg

March 21, 2013:

IMG_0281_zpsfe83965a.jpg

FTS Feb 25, 2013:

photo-5_zpsda3966b9.jpg

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
supermarvin76

I just bought sand!!!! 20 pounds of Fiji Pink Arag-Alive. I figure that should be about enough, right? I believe the footprint is 18"x14".

I also picked up an API test kit. Not nearly as cool as sand, but gotta have one.

Told ya I excite easily!

I just bought sand!!!! 20 pounds of Fiji Pink Arag-Alive. I figure that should be about enough, right? I believe the footprint is 18"x14".

I also picked up an API test kit. Not nearly as cool as sand, but gotta have one.

Told ya I excite easily!

Sounds about right

yeh I only needed about 10lbs to cover the egg crate in mine and seeing as how our tanks will be twins 20 should have your needs covered. The build looks great looking forward to seeing how you choose to scape it.

supermarvin76

yeh I only needed about 10lbs to cover the egg crate in mine and seeing as how our tanks will be twins 20 should have your needs covered. The build looks great looking forward to seeing how you choose to scape it.

I'm still debating whether or not to use egg crate. Is "egg crate" the light diffuser sold at Home Depot? If so, that stuff is reef safe?!?

I assume, it is the only egg crate that is sold, lowes didn't carry it and it was sold at home depot. I have seen enough people using them to decide it was safe.

supermarvin76

Here is the plan for this weekend:

a1_zps02ac596a.png

I really need to learn how to post full photos here instead of these thumbnails....

Here is the plan for this weekend:

attachicon.gifa1.png

I really need to learn how to post full photos here instead of these thumbnails....

Looking solid, btw for pictures I upload mine to photobucket then just grab the img link and insert in the link button on the toolbar

supermarvin76

Looking solid, btw for pictures I upload mine to photobucket then just grab the img link and insert in the link button on the toolbar

I try to paste in the link to the photobucket photo and then it tells me I am not allowed to use "that file extension here"

I try to paste in the link to the photobucket photo and then it tells me I am not allowed to use "that file extension here"

from photobucket, open the picture you want, click the button above it called share to other services, this will open a small 3 tabbed window, click links, the second bar down should be named direct link click that and it will automatically copy the img's direct link.

then from there click the insert image button on the posting taskbar and paste the link that u got from the bucket voila!

supermarvin76

from photobucket, open the picture you want, click the button above it called share to other services, this will open a small 3 tabbed window, click links, the second bar down should be named direct link click that and it will automatically copy the img's direct link.

then from there click the insert image button on the posting taskbar and paste the link that u got from the bucket voila!

Got it! Thanks!!!

supermarvin76

WOOT!!!!!

My order status has changed from "cutting glass" to "build in progress"!!!!!!!

I celebrated by buying a 20 gallon Brute can, and pulling the trigger on my BRS order I posted above.

supermarvin76

Who got goodies today!?!?

ME!!!!! :D

photo1_zps7b3b1775.jpg

photo2_zpsa9919352.jpg

photo3_zps3f7df7ee.jpg

It was my first transaction with BRS and it was a great experience. I ordered late Saturday night, and here it is Tuesday afternoon. I will buy from them again for sure!

Very nice start! The tunze nano is awesome. I've never used an ATO before until now, but I see how good they are to have.

I like the nano too, it's low tech but gets the job done well. I am however thinking of setting up an extra float switch to my rkl in case the first float switch fails.

supermarvin76

Happy Monday to you!!!

I messaged with Chris from Pico Aquariums yesterday and my tank will be shipping next Monday. I'm ready for it! Sorta....

Here is some of my growing list of questions and concerns. Please let me know what you KNOW.

A) See the black egg crate in the photos above? Should I put that down in my tank under the rock and sand? Or only under the rock? Or not at all? Why?

B- I am going to order about 16 lbs of cured Manado rock from Premium Aquatics. Should I dip this in a high salinity bucket prior to putting it in the tank?

C) I am worried about handling the tank when it gets here. I've never handled a rimless tank before. I understand I can not lift it by one side, but then how? Hold two sides at the top at the same time and lift straight up?

D) I guess when it gets here I need to take it to the basement for a couple days and let it run with water to leak check it. What should I set the tank on down there? The stand is in my living room.

E) I have a 1/4" Mr Aqua Mat on my stand. Think this is ok, or should I downsize to 1/8"

F) I'm having a hard time finding a place to set the RODI in the basement. Really don't want to drill into the wall to hang it...

And I'll gladly accept any other advice you can send!

Thanks!

Archived