SaltCritters.com

Jedi's Science Reef

jedimaster1138

jedimasterben

I'm not a lightsaber expert but I'm going to say that's Obi Wan's. Then again it seem like most of the Jedis upgraded in every movie.

They got lost/destroyed quite a bit, so each Jedi goes through quite a few of them. Obi Wan went through at least three that I know of (basically what are seen in the movies, in the 'extended universe', I'm sure he's lost quite a few more lol)

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ben, you can be a dark jedi if you want, but I've decided that with trying to be a mad scientist IRL, I'd have to be Sith.

Also, Jedi - this tank looks awesome so far. I can't wait to see it get all purdy!

jedimaster1138

I'm not a lightsaber expert but I'm going to say that's Obi Wan's. Then again it seem like most of the Jedis upgraded in every movie.

So are you planning to add it above the tank where you have those brackets for a shelf?

My Wife collects the new mini pod figures and she wants a shelf above the tank to show her collection off.

All my old figures were stolen during a move yrs back and my son's figures are torn up,missing arms and heads.

I have a room ful of starwars collectables ,I wouldnt have it any other way:) but one light saber???? I would at least have 5-7 in any collection tho;)

They got lost/destroyed quite a bit, so each Jedi goes through quite a few of them. Obi Wan went through at least three that I know of (basically what are seen in the movies, in the 'extended universe', I'm sure he's lost quite a few more lol)

It is indeed Obi-wan's lightsaber, his 3rd - and final - one to be precise. He built it sometime after the outbreak of the Clone War. It's also the one he used to chop up Anakin. Wookiepedia --> http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Obi-Wan_Kenobi%27s_lightsaber

I'd like to get more, but they aren't cheap, even the non battle ready ones. I think the next one I'd get would be Luke's 2nd one (ie the one he builds himself) or Yoda's or Vader's. Also on the short list is Mace Windu's.

I was Obi-wan for Halloween this past year. Well for NY Comic Con, Halloween was canceled due to Hurricane Sandy. I'm actually going to do it again this coming year...the wife is going to make me a higher quality robe. Speaking of her, she was R2-D2 in her hand made R2-D2 skirt.

Putting the saber above the tank is actually a good idea. Very Wolowitz too (and I AM an engineer...) I could do that.... but I kinda like having it on the window sill so i can easily whip it on and menace AlmostWife with it. It also makes for a great flashlight :)

The brackets you see are actually to hang my lights, a project I'm hoping to get to tonight if I'm not too tired/busy with some web development I am under the gun on..

Nice build! How many jedi's do we have on NR now???

Personally, I'm more of a yoda guy.......due to my age.

I do like Yoda a lot, but Vader has always been my favorite. Anakin was boring and lame, but Vader (original) was rad.

You can never have enough Jedi. Especially after people start executing dat code 66.

Honestly though, a lot of people think I'm into Star Wars more than I really am. I guess naming your dog Padme doesn't help.

jedimaster1138

I do like Yoda a lot, but Vader has always been my favorite. Anakin was boring and lame, but Vader (original) was rad.

I actually had a discussion of this with AlmostWife the other day when the news broke about Lucasfilm allegedly preparing a Yoda-centric movie. For me, Yoda is the best character in any movie/film/tv show/book ever. He's just perfect in every way to me. It's just my opinion, of course, But he's my favorite. When I have a basement with space I have every intention of getting one of those actual size statues of him.

Speaking of actual size, that's one the reasons I love him. George Lucas said "let's make the most powerful creature in the galaxy a 900 year old, 2 foot tall, rubber puppet". Everyone was terrified. If I had a time machine I'd go to that first day on the set of tESB when Frank Oz did the voice and worked him in the first scene they shot. I'd pay just about anything to see the looks on peoples' faces.

Yoda_SWSB.jpg

“Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is."

Needs more dark side...

mZ4zjgk.jpg

When in doubt, the Super Star Destroyer Executor. *applause*

Finally got the lights hung tonight. I need to do some aquascape changing around, particular that big rock with the purple stylophora under more direct light (probably going to put it on the far right side) but you get the idea of the progress. Still under VERY low intensity.

hanginglightsfinally_zps8a9e0878.jpg

Thank you all for the compliments on the build. It's been a ton of work, but finally starting to pay off. My arms are still killing me!

jedimaster1138

Fraking PO4 read 0.16 last night with the Hanna Checker. Time to get the ghetto BRS reactor back out and tumble some GFO.

I REALLY want a better reactor than that BRS one. I wish people would buy the new Innovative Marine one and review it. I would also take suggestions with experience on other carbon/gfo reactors that don't suck. The BRS one clogs in 30 minutes. Those foam pads suck. I want to run separate units for carbon and gfo...

Tank looks great dude. Hmmm I use the brs single deluxe reactor with a carbon/gfo mix and have no issues. But then again your system is much larger and you'd use quite a bit more than i.

Those are the Razor LEDs right? Nice. 120 gallons is friggen huge. Seriously. I feel like my tank at 41 gallons is kind of small, until I saw a 40g long and realized how much water that is. 120 gallons, idk...probably the size of one of my kids cribs lol.

jedimaster1138

I'm finding out that BRS products as a whole (their 'branded' stuff) are pieces of utter shit.

I like their RO/DI. It's a beast. And so far so good on their dosing pumps. But the reactor (I just have the "regular" one) sucks. I've seen other people complain about it too, that it clogs, though in fairness that seems to be an issue with any reactor that uses foam pad things, including NextReef, which is highly regarded.

jedimaster1138

I like their RO/DI. It's a beast. And so far so good on their dosing pumps. But the reactor (I just have the "regular" one) sucks. I've seen other people complain about it too, that it clogs, though in fairness that seems to be an issue with any reactor that uses foam pad things, including NextReef, which is highly regarded.

OK so apparently BRS says now that if you are using ONLY GFO, not to use the foam pads. At least that's what they say in this video.

Interesting. I guess i'll try that tonight.

It also lends further credence to my theory that running both media types - GFO and Carbon - in the same reactor, is a terrible, terrible idea.

I haven't had any issues with the BRS reactor and running carbon/GFO mixed together. I do 2 parts carbon, 1 part GFO, and mix it together really well. Haven't had any clogging issues and it doesn't tumble (But I don't want it to).

jedimaster1138

I haven't had any issues with the BRS reactor and running carbon/GFO mixed together. I do 2 parts carbon, 1 part GFO, and mix it together really well. Haven't had any clogging issues and it doesn't tumble (But I don't want it to).

What kind of pump are you using? And what kind of distance from the pump, especially vertically? When I was mixing media, mine would literally clog in under 30 minutes.

I couldn't mix now anyway. With the 120g, I'd need more media than I could fit with breathing room in one canister anyway.

I really want to be able to leave my GFO tumbling for 1-2 months and carbon change out every 2 weeks, with my water changes. But I can't have it being a 4 hour process and having to re-plumb things every time...

What kind of pump are you using? And what kind of distance from the pump, especially vertically? When I was mixing media, mine would literally clog in under 30 minutes.

I couldn't mix now anyway. With the 120g, I'd need more media than I could fit with breathing room in one canister anyway.

I really want to be able to leave my GFO tumbling for 1-2 months and carbon change out every 2 weeks, with my water changes. But I can't have it being a 4 hour process and having to re-plumb things every time...

It's an MJ1200 that only feeds the reactor, then back into the tank. It's only a 29g, I can see where you'd have problems with a larger tank.

I also own a BRS 5 stage ro/di and think its great. It sat for 3 years and still produced 0 TDS. I still replaced all filters shortly after starting to use it again, but that impressed me.

Archived