Top Shelf Aquatics

Jedi's Science Reef

jedimaster1138

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimaster1138

Do you need BRS KALK and 2 part? I'm switching brands and have nearly full jars left.

That light IS super thin on the profile. wow. close up picture?

I like the color, very pleasing.

I use BRS 2-Part, but not KALK. I actually have a nearly full bottle of Kalk...I think it's a quart. I was going to offer it around too. I think Zeph is coming by tomorrow to pick up a few things, maybe I can pawn it off to him. Let me know about the 2-part though. We can work something out I'm sure. I still have your palys too. They are one of the few frags that survived all my upheaval. Trades good.

The lights are indeed super thin. Like SUPER thin. I'm still tweaking the color, and increasing the intensity, but yeah. So far so good.

Here's a couple shots that illustrate the size more.

razorprofile_zps3c030ae7.jpg

jedimaster1138

Well I got the BRS reactor going last night. No foam pads, just the strainers that are built into the bottom of the cartridge and the removable one at the top. I have a Cobalt 1200 driving it with 0 bends or elbows. Had to valve it back a lot, ironically. lol Just GFO right now though...tumbling with decent action.

May PO4 drop like a rock...Jedi wants some acroporas...

jedimaster1138

Those light are super sick .. How wide are they?

Not wide at all... about 10 or 11 inches. Here's the full spec dingie from the mfr....http://coralvue.com/r420r/ I have 2x 27" 160w.

PS - after 3 days with BRS GFO in their reactor - PO4 via Hanna.... 0.00. WOOT! :D

jedimaster1138

Been very, very busy, both on the tank and with the rest of life. All the plumbing and electric is done and mounted and mostly neat enough to shut up my OCD. I still have to hook up my PC fans for when the weather gets warm, but I've been too sick and tired of crawling on the floor in the stand etc.

The big win was getting the ATO and dosing finished. That was kinda key.

Anyway here is a FTS from today. Aquascape is still changing around a little. I'm aiming to get as much of the sand bed as possible clear and free of *stuff*. Give the future watchman goby lots of space to roam and make a mess, and makes for a more aesthetically pleasing situation. More white means a cleaner look and more reflection onto the many many SPS I plan on somehow obtaining. LOL

FTS2-27-2013_zps9421f93d.jpg

jedimaster1138

Slacker Jedi is a Slacker! I'm slow, what can I say.

Here's a top down shot of my newest addition - a brand spanking new farm raised blue squamosa. Just got it the other day from Diver's Den, all the way from the Palau giant clam farms. Insane color on this, trust me. The pictures don't even come close to doing it justice.

overheadsquammieandfirefishSMALLER_zpsc0

I also managed to capture a couple decent shots of my firefish with the dSLR.

firefish345againsmaller_zps85976598.jpg

closeup2-27_smaller_zpsce7ab728.jpg

My chromis don't always get along, but they decided to school for a while here...

chromisschooling_zpscb7d5191.jpg

And last but not least, a decent FTS finally. Some minor aquscape changes, more coming this weekend.

fts_2-28-2013_1600_zps6cb30e18.jpg

jedimaster1138

I came back to the thread for some more eye candy, but lo and behold, the pics are broken. Sad day.

Thanks JediL1C1OUS. I don't know what happened but the links became all kerfluzzled. I might have moved pictures around inside my photobucket in an attempt to organize things and the links didn't get updated. All fixed now.

I have more to post, just haven't had the time to get them cropped and fixed up. My buddy is on my head to fix his website and I still need to finish cleaning up. AAAH.

Good news though - ordered some SPS from Unique Corals. Go sales!

JediL1C1OUS

Thanks JediL1C1OUS. I don't know what happened but the links became all kerfluzzled. I might have moved pictures around inside my photobucket in an attempt to organize things and the links didn't get updated. All fixed now.

I have more to post, just haven't had the time to get them cropped and fixed up. My buddy is on my head to fix his website and I still need to finish cleaning up. AAAH.

Good news though - ordered some SPS from Unique Corals. Go sales!

Much better... you prevented a kerflastrophy. Nice SLR shots in the latest images.

Great looking build so far JediMaster and thanks for amping me up for my 48 gal build.

BTW.. I took my 11 yr old daughter to a new LFS and she was all hyped up when she saw a Flame Hawk.

SHe ran over to me and said ,she found me a SITH!

haha my whole family are Star War Nerds!

Flame%20Hawkfish.jpg

jedimaster1138

Much better... you prevented a kerflastrophy. Nice SLR shots in the latest images.

LOL. Kerflastrophies are bad!

Maybe I'll sneak the SLR book into the wife's carry on during the honeymoon and read it on the plane so I fail less...

I haz frags, you haz frags. Oh happy day.

I got more today! SPS from UniqueCorals. HUGE pieces...2 of them are so not frags, but frag-like prices. Yellow/gold millie and a red/blue millie. Plus a few others. If you haven't look at UniqueCorals, do so. You know, they are related to/owned by the MA people. Gave me a free Acan too. Great packing job, 2 heat packs, one of which is on my desk right now and will keep me warm on the walk to grand central later.

Great looking build so far JediMaster and thanks for amping me up for my 48 gal build.

BTW.. I took my 11 yr old daughter to a new LFS and she was all hyped up when she saw a Flame Hawk.

SHe ran over to me and said ,she found me a SITH!

haha my whole family are Star War Nerds!

Flame%20Hawkfish.jpg

That's a purdy fish. I like it. I like my cleaner shrimp and snails too though. heh MUNCH

He does look a little Darth Maul-y doesn't he...

Nice Clam!!! Wish I had one....oh wait, I do. ;)

Mine decided to turn 90 degrees, so he's lengthwise parallel to the long axis of my tank. I might turn him back around the "right way" at some point in the future, but for now I'm leaving him alone. It's also possible one of my crazy mofo fighting conchs jumped out of the sand and caused him to move. But yeah I like him better the other way so I can look up his skirt...er...in his mouth :-p

yes sir! If I could find a way to make it happen I would do it. That being said the LFS had it with a coral brand shrimp and a few snails in a 120 rimless tank , but I wouldn't want to lose my cleaning crew over it.

jedimaster1138

yes sir! If I could find a way to make it happen I would do it. That being said the LFS had it with a coral brand shrimp and a few snails in a 120 rimless tank , but I wouldn't want to lose my cleaning crew over it.

There are so many creatures I want to keep that I can't. One day when I have a ton of space, and a ton of $$$$$$$$ (hah) I'm going to put up a second non-reef and fill it with all these cool creatures that would otherwise murder the other ones I like...

Hawkfish, Big Angels, Triggers, sharks with freaking laser beams attached to their heads....

Wicked-Lasers-Laser-Shark-sm.jpeg

one fish I do plan on getting after a while that goes with the "star wars" theme is a Mandarin Goby.

I can't remember where I saw George Lucas talk about getting the idea of Watto from a watching one. Then again most of his creations resemble underwater creatures.

I would really dig a thread on Star Wars themed fish and corals. I know a few like Jedi Mind tricks Monti's and Darth Maul's but I'm sure other fish and corals resemble some of crazy things we've seen in the saga.

Wicked-Lasers-Laser-Shark-sm.jpeg

nickname that mug DEATH STAR!

jedimaster1138

one fish I do plan on getting after a while that goes with the "star wars" theme is a Mandarin Goby.

I can't remember where I saw George Lucas talk about getting the idea of Watto from a watching one. Then again most of his creations resemble underwater creatures.

I would really dig a thread on Star Wars themed fish and corals. I know a few like Jedi Mind tricks Monti's and Darth Maul's but I'm sure other fish and corals resemble some of crazy things we've seen in the saga.

I'd like to keep a Mandarin at some point too. But I also kinda want a watchman goby and/or possibly a six-line or some other pest hunting wrasse. I dislike bristle worms. I realize they are useful in that they eat junk, but they give me the creeps. I also worry they are liable to crawl around my clam (future plural) and do something bad.

I once read someone describe the Starry Blenny as something out of Star Wars. I thought about it a while and it reminded me of the creature that sits outside Jabba's palace.

lg-80588-starry-blenny.jpg

JediL1C1OUS

I dislike bristle worms. I realize they are useful in that they eat junk, but they give me the creeps. I also worry they are liable to crawl around my clam (future plural) and do something bad.

I'm with you on the bristle worms. My last tank had a few monster ones and they were nasty. I know people say they are good, but when they get big enough, they can cause some damage to other inhabitants and eat small inverts. They are one of the reasons why I went with dry rock for my latest tank... I despise them.

Archived