inTank Media Baskets

The mad house

Psychosis

Well, it's doomsday for my current crap tank. A local builder (Custom Aquariums by Kyle) is currently constructing the new build, which should be in the apartment before March 1st.

I'm taking an all new approach to this build. My general MO, as made evident in my previous thread, is that the equipment and over all look of a build is entirely secondary to the contents. I realized recently that the inhabitants appearance can actually be detracted by crap hanging off of, in to, or around the tank. Don't ask why it took me so long, but staring at a broken euro brace for a year finally wore on me.

20130215_155306_zpsd818a848.jpg

Outside of the terrible, terrible picture quality, you can see how my tank looks like a trash can with SW stuff thrown in to it. Looks better in person, sure, but a slightly more attractive turd doesn't inspire confidence. Another thing that's all ways pissed me off, I have 5 acan colonies and 2 plates on the sand next to the duncan, as well as multiple Rhodactis and Discomussa varieties. Wheres Waldo? Behind 3" of wood. ####ER!

So, back to the drawing board. This tank kept me going, which was its only intended function, I just drew it out for about 6 months longer than I was planning. Now, actually putting effort in to it, my first well thought out and clean tank.

Custom4_zps84dcf738.jpg

custom3_zps3ade122d.jpg

I said new clean tank, not clean sketchup. No, those dims. aren't exact. The CL system is fo real though.

Also, Angus. Smartest dog under 40lbs I've ever seen.

20130128_132020_zpsa1463eaa.jpg

To be continued...

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Q&A

Q: Why did you decide to run a closed loop in stead of a Vortech? U stuk in 2003 bro?

A: I'll take this answer in two parts, Jim. First, if I wanted to mount a subwoofer on something, it would be my truck, not the side of a brand new Acrylic tank. Secondly, the release of DC pumps make closed loops much more attractive, since they don't have the power draw and rigidity of a CL system running a non adjustable AC pump.

Q: Why didn't you run with a 36" square?

A: Because the thread title wouldn't be as clever if the system totalled 67.3 gallons, and I'm sick of trying to create a gyre flow pattern in square tanks. I'd rather the chubby rectangle, thanks.

Q: What other equipment are you running?

A: At this exact moment, the equipment list reads:

CL pump- Diablo DC 5500

Return- Rio 1600+

Lighting- 2x Reefbreeders value fixtures running 120 degree optics

Skimmer- SCA 302 from Ebay.

Other- Undecided.

Q: Why are you formatting a post in Q and A format when no ones asked any thing?

A: Because I'm in your heads. All...of...your...heads. I all ready know. Plus it's a cool way to organize my thoughts, I tend to ramble on and on with out a real point to what I'm saying until the last 3 words or so. Words or so.

• Like 1

He looks like a poofster, imo. Very cool dog though. If you point your finger at him and shout bang, he dies.

Also, looking through pictures has me all nostalgic and what not. My lady is legit eye candy :P.

Oh yea, rough concept design w/ refugium:

Customstand_zpse7583d61.jpg

The main stand will house all of the usuals, the refugium stand will double as a power and control center/ato resevior housing. I think my secondary drain will run in to this tank, and then continue to the sump. I won't build it as a seperate box, it'll all be one continuous stand. I'm very pleased with myself.

filling2_zpsaf66c6be.png

filled1_zpsc772729f.png

I'm going to pick the sexy beast up tommorow. The sun will shine, people will nod in my general direction with a satisfied smile and a wink, and money will poor from the gutters to fund the rest of this build. That's how it'll happen, don't argue.

This thing...is... awesome. I'm not going to add my own pictures of an empty tank, but...damn. Stand construction begins this weekend (or so). The ball is rolling.

Mr.Owl, how many 2x4x8 do you need to overbuild an aquarium stand?

20130227_184837_zps374a9f2c.jpg

Lets find out...wu-hun, tuh-who...nine and a half.

20130228_182523_zps742c6587.jpg

Trojan maaaan.

20130227_232627_zps9483fbbe.jpg

Ha, my head looks huge. Money!

Thread drive by. I see no pictures of dogs, bewbs, cakes, food, funny things, or even completed fish things! Might have to keep on driving....

He's a Coton/Yorkie. Also part bad ass I think.

Love where you seem to be headed with the tank build and LOVES Angus! What kind of dog is he?

I'm pumped.

20130301_170502_zpsd57af22d.jpg

20130301_170451_zps1abc1212.jpg

Johnnie Walker. A beer wasn't a good enough indicatior of either scale or drunken decision making.

One more for the ladies. The little bastard kept trying to bail, so don't judge the quality.

20130301_172004_zps3b609ec5.jpg

Edit: That's for me, I've decided. Don't ask.

Nah, if I get him a bitch, I'm going to namer her Slasher, destroyer of Ankles. It's much more Viking. Angus, master of squeakers, would be pleased.

If any one says the dog is my kid, I'll cut you badly. I'm sick of hearing that crap. "Ooooh go get Daddy Angus." I'LL EAT YOUR HEART, IT'S A DOG!

BB-1_zps560d68cf.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived