inTank Media Baskets

Diesel's Frat Sea Max 130D (RSM130D) New Tyree Pot of Gold

DieselDU

After years of breeding demasoni I have finally decided it was time to start up a reef tank. I always liked the way turn key all in one tanks look so it was a no brainer that I would go with that route. The problem came up as to which one I should buy. I went to the local fish store in my hometown of Tulsa Aquarium Oddballs to ask my freind the owner of Oddballs Scott what all in one tank is the best one to buy. He advised me to go with the Red Sea Max 130D. So I decided to order the tank and a box of live rock from him which I got a GREAT deal on.

The tank came in a speedy manner and I set it up on Sunday. After a few days of fiddling around with the aquascape I found a scape that looks appealing and functional to me. I tried to create lots of flat spots up towards the top of the tank to put SPS. I also wanted to create lots of shelves all the way down to the bottom of the scape for LPS and Zoas. Feel free to critique my aquascape as I am just a beginner in the hobby and wanting to have the most functional and aesthetically pleasing tank as possible.

post-78688-0-57999200-1360267470_thumb.jpg

I dumped 100ml bottle of Bio Spira in last night to speed up the cycle. My past experiences with Bio Spira's freshwater cousin Safe Start were excellent at cycling cichlid tank. I also used Bio Spira to cycle my 10 FOWLR about a month ago and it cycled in about 3-4 days. I just tested the water for ammonia and nitrites hoping that there would be some progess in the tanks cycle due the Bio Spira. My ammonia level was 0 and nitrites were at 0.25. I'm definitely pleased with adding the Bio Spira so far.

I'm still not completely satisfied with my aquascape yet. In a couple spots some of the higher rocks cast a bit of a shadow over the lower rocks. Should I try and re-do the aquascape so that none of the higher rocks cast shadows on the lower rocks? Also how far would be too close for SPS's to be from my lights? Right now my top rock which I'm planning on putting most of them on is about 6-7 inches from the stock 110w T5 lighting. I could definitely use anyones help on that especially from an experienced RSM'er

• 3 weeks later...

The tank has finally cycled! Though now I have a fair ammount of diatoms covering the sand and a nice little outbreak of hair algae. Fortunately enough I have a couple extra mexican turbo snails in my 10 gallon and within a few days of putting them in the RSM they chowed most of it down. Since the tank has cycled I have now decided that it was time to get a cleanup crew and purchased the RSM130 snail only cleanup crew from reefcleaners.org. Hopefully it will in on time on Wednesday.

I also have some recent additions including a couple rasta zoanthid polyps that I picked up in Tulsa at Aquarium Oddballs for a pretty sweet deal.

post-78688-0-61989300-1361848445_thumb.jpg

A few days ago I picked up a frag of Tyree Mia's Pot of Gold. So far it's doing pretty well resting at the bottom of the tank on its frag plug. I've never had a piece of favia before so I'm clueless as to where I should place or what I should feed it. Any help out there....?

post-78688-0-61339900-1362416621_thumb.jpg

Archived