ReefCleaners.org

15 gallon aqueon Column noob here

Idontknowz

The 15 tall tank is a bad ass tank! My buddy started 1 about 6 months ago and it looks amazing, I will list what he did below.

Lighting: 1 PAR 38 from LEDtric

Filter: Aquaclear 70 running filter floss and carbon

Flow: 2 pumps in the top back pointing slightly inward towards the bottom (1-500gph and 1-240gph), enough flow to hit the entire tank

Rock Scape: He ordered Fiji rock and used zip ties to make a tall rockscape, it doesn't lean on the glass and he zip tied the rocks to the egg crate on the bottom and with the sand you can't tell. It really looks amazing!

Livestock: Pair of clowns (1 regular, 1 black & white), and a Firefin goby/Firefish.

Corals: Mushrooms, Torchcoral, Frogspawn, & GSP.

I wish I had a pic to post but I don't, and ditch the stock hood. He went to Lowes or Home Depot and had them cut a piece of plastic for the top that just sits on the tank and helps with evaporation.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 15 tall tank is a bad ass tank! My buddy started 1 about 6 months ago and it looks amazing, I will list what he did below.

Lighting: 1 PAR 38 from LEDtric

Filter: Aquaclear 70 running filter floss and carbon

Flow: 2 pumps in the top back pointing slightly inward towards the bottom (1-500gph and 1-240gph), enough flow to hit the entire tank

Rock Scape: He ordered Fiji rock and used zip ties to make a tall rockscape, it doesn't lean on the glass and he zip tied the rocks to the egg crate on the bottom and with the sand you can't tell. It really looks amazing!

Livestock: Pair of clowns (1 regular, 1 black & white), and a Firefin goby/Firefish.

Corals: Mushrooms, Torchcoral, Frogspawn, & GSP.

I wish I had a pic to post but I don't, and ditch the stock hood. He went to Lowes or Home Depot and had them cut a piece of plastic for the top that just sits on the tank and helps with evaporation.

lol, nothing about this tank is easy. I think I finally have my light situation figured out, my rockscape I'm content with for now and the last week have been watching the few corals I have to make sure they're happy where I've placed them before I glued them down. It's a pain with such a high,deep, narrow tank trying to place stuff just right and on top off it while I'm in there my B&W clown likes to attack me! it doesn't hurt YET because she's so small but it does startle me every time lol.

Was going to make this tank a Zoa's only tank until I got to my Coral dealers house and he didn't have anything new but a beautiful bright orange zoa he didn't know the name of and also didn't want to sell :( so I picked up 2 frags of Ricordea and a chalice. I think they're happy but don't know enough about them to know the signs? where Zoa's are either open or not! Pictures will come

Gooburz, in that position of the powerheads does your friend have any dead spots? still trying to work that out here

ok guys, here is a video I made of my tank, still need to get a few more fish I think

totally kidding about that being my tank! found that while looking for ideas regarding the tank. yikes some people shouldn't be allowed to have fish!

totally kidding about that being my tank! found that while looking for ideas regarding the tank. yikes some people shouldn't be allowed to have fish!

As of right now he doesn't have any dead zones, you'll have to tweak it a few times to check though.

• 2 weeks later...
Idontknowz

Hey there! I have the same tank. May be over kill for you now as its setup... but check out my build thread if you like... our tanks are roughly the same 'age'... http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/325563-15gal-tall-mini-reef-par38-powered/

love the rock work! great job

I guess now my big problem is coralline all over the glass that I need to scrape this weekend, its all over my glass but not growing fast enough on my rocks!!, also wondering what other bright easy coral I want to put in the tank I have zoa's a chalice and two Ricordeas so far..

fretfreak13

get some GSP, but leave it isolated on a small rock in the sand bed so it doesn't take over. It really IS a beautiful coral and adds a ton of color, but needs to be separate from the main rock structure.

Also, I would love to see some more blastos around!

And HEY!!! I got all fired up when I saw that vid you posted, got ready to yell at you, and then saw you were kidding. Regardless, WHERE ARE YOUR PICTURES! Totally not fair... ='(

Idontknowz

LOL is that the worst tank ever!! those poor fish, I actually do have some GSP, I forgot to mention that one. I do need to put it on an island though.
I know I know, I need to get some pictures up soon. I'm just not happy with a bunch of plugs and discs with only a few heads on each one. hate the look of the tank it's so ugly. wish it would just growwww!!
I see colonies of mixed zoa's a lot, can all zoa's be mixed?
I do like the look of blasto's! they're fairly easy? I also like some of the candy cane and acan lords too

fretfreak13

Yes sir, all zoas can be mixed.

Yes, yes, and yes all of those are very easy LPS. Blastos are just a bit expensive. Check out saltcritters for zoas and acans (sometimes candy canes too), and lots of ricordea. Their prices are dynamite.

Also, aquascapers has some of the nicest zoas and rics I've ever seen

• 2 weeks later...
Idontknowz

got around to getting a few picture up with my crappy cell. the tank isn't as dirty as it appears!
moved my power heads to see if I can keep the sand a little cleaner (time will tell) and scraped off most of the coralline too

• 1 month later...
Idontknowz

new growth pictures in around 2 months time but the frog seems to have dulled up a little at the tips and the green birds nest as well also some of the skirts are getting really long I head thats because of low flow but with 2 hydors 425's and an AC 70 I can't imagine that's the case? also got a yellow clown goby who is fun to watch and hold his own against the female clown when she get too close to his den, beyond that they get along great and eat side by side

post-78705-0-66691100-1373324474_thumb.jpg

post-78705-0-85770200-1373324483_thumb.jpg

post-78705-0-56990300-1373324493_thumb.jpg

I have the same tank, what I did for lighting was to gut the original lid and attached a AI nano.

nice, the weight is ok? do you have a tank thread?

• 1 year later...

Hello, I just recently purchased the Aqueon 15 Colum tank was wondering if I could get some advice on what to purchase equipment wise get to get up and running a reef tank.. I am wanting to just do basic live rock with a couple fish, shrimp and snail and maybe some choral? Not sure what I need to purchase and would like some advice. Thanks!

Hello, I just recently purchased the Aqueon 15 Colum tank was wondering if I could get some advice on what to purchase equipment wise get to get up and running a reef tank.. I am wanting to just do basic live rock with a couple fish, shrimp and snail and maybe some choral? Not sure what I need to purchase and would like some advice. Thanks!

A 300-500 GPH power filter will provide enough flow and the ability to run some floss, activated carbon, and/or Phosguard. You'll need a 50 to 75W heater. A PAR30 LED reef bulb would work for a light.

Archived