Innovative Marine Aquariums

15 gallon aqueon Column noob here

Idontknowz

Lol, I meant a yellow watchman (bottom dweller), a clownfish (or other small swimmer), and a blenny or perching goby. Gotta plan it out when you have limited real estate.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't get carried away on the size of the HOB. Once your tank is 2-3 months old, the sand and rock will be your primary filtration. You can run some purigen and carbon for additional filtration if you like. Run Phosguard if you plan to keep higher demand coral that are very phosphate sensitive. Keep a bottle of Prime handy for small emergencies. IT can temporarily neutralize ammonia and nitrite for up to 48 hours in 5x doses. Adding some Stability or DrTims can help when you add new livestock.

I wouldn't over think it, you have enough now to run some interesting fish like dartfish, small cardinals, blennies (best fish per inch IMO), or even some low demand seahorses. Mushrooms and some LPS will also grow fine if you get some better lighting.

The non-solder LED kits from rapidled is easy peasy to put together if you can handle a set of legos.

Dont ditch this tabk for a 20L because of scape! If you want look at my column 24" tall and feel free to ask questions! I would love to see another column on here!

I would do that and the smallest hydor koralia nano. As well, three small fish is max for this tank and only compatible species that occupy different zones in the tank. A yellow watchman, clown, and a small blenny or perching goby would work nicely if you add them all slow.

When you say "smallest", do you mean in terms of gph? If so, you're suggesting the 240gph Koralia? I don't mind Dremeling the hood a tad to make a filter fit. I think I could put an AC70 and the powerhead easily enough.

I've been reading on fish at liveaquaria.com. I was under the impression gobies are pretty much all 'bottomdwellers".

I will check out the Lego lights! :)

yeah the 240 one and the aquaclear should be fine. problem with a tank this shape is getting the flow right so be prepared to play around with it.

Clown gobies perch, the others are bottomdwellers though, and blennies also perch.

Okay, regarding flow.....I have read that what you DON'T want is a steady flow of water in one direction across the reef. What I was thinking is perhaps two of the small Koralias, one in each back corner, at different depths, aimed a the center of the front pane of glass. Given the small size of the tank (something around 13") would that provide adequate turbulence in the tank? Also, as I'm 'seeing' it, that'd put one of the powerheads very close to the rock. Is that bad?

Thanks again for the patience. LOL

Okay, regarding flow.....I have read that what you DON'T want is a steady flow of water in one direction across the reef.

Two sources is good (could be two powerheads, or a powerhead and a power filter). I like that the power filter will be sending the water down; and then the powerhead can help create more random flows.

Play around with it a little and see what works best. I like to tie a string to the end of a net handle and move it around to observe the flows.

Dont ditch this tabk for a 20L because of scape! If you want look at my column 24" tall and feel free to ask questions! I would love to see another column on here!

It's not going anywhere! got the AC 70 running in it now, not sure if I should get the intank media basket for it. beyond that not much has changed.. my blue knuckle hermit, molted and then died the next day.. weird then when I took him out he had 2 baby bristle worms on him. I know "free CUC" but I hate them and they skeeve me out. This weekend I will attempt to put the strips and splash guard into the hood just discovered the AI nano and feel I really need it!

Great tank and avatar btw!

I'm confused. You said the tank is 19 days old and you're going to do a water change. Did it finish cycling already? I have the Aqueon 8 and 11 days later the ammonia cycle is down and now it's starting on the nitrite and I did put a little piece of cooked baby shrimp the size of a pea in there just to help it out a few days after starting the tank. My understanding was to not do any water changes during the cycling period because it would hinder the process? how long did it take your tank for the nitrite cycle to go down after the ammonia stopped? I tested 2 nights ago and am going to test again on Saturday.

My understanding was to not do any water changes during the cycling period because it would hinder the process?

Water changes before the ammonia level starts to decline will extend the time before it becomes undetectable. However, once the level starts to decline (even if it is still detectable), water changes are beneficial. The bacteria that make up the biological filter reside primarily on surfaces (not in the water column).

Wait until a week after ammonia becomes undetectable before adding any livestock.

It's not going anywhere! got the AC 70 running in it now, not sure if I should get the intank media basket for it. beyond that not much has changed.. my blue knuckle hermit, molted and then died the next day.. weird then when I took him out he had 2 baby bristle worms on him. I know "free CUC" but I hate them and they skeeve me out. This weekend I will attempt to put the strips and splash guard into the hood just discovered the AI nano and feel I really need it!Great tank and avatar btw!

Thanks! I would get the intank if you have the extra money for it, if not you should be fine. I feel the same way about the bristles too but I have too many now so I just have to deal with it. An AI nano would be really cool but I would check out the Maxspect Razor(R420R) Nano comming soon(Has more colors and should be cheeper than the AI)!

http://blog.aquanerd.com/2013/03/maxspect-nano-razor-led-fixture.html#more-21594

• 3 weeks later...

Figured I would give a quick update. Tank is up and running. Finally got my rock work to something I can live with. Bought 2 baby clowns, one black and white and one regular, I wanted something different like a naked or black snow but money was a little tight, anyway I'm happy with them and they're already best friends. Anyways I ordered a small fan for the hood to keep the leds cool so once I get that together I'll be ready for some really easy soft PRETTY corals. Looking for suggestions :D

• 4 weeks later...

does anyone own the small CPR Aquatic AquaFuge 2, I'm thinking of picking one up, It looks like a good deal on Amazon, Fuge, Light and stand for 180 shipped. not sure what the stand consists of?
http://www.amazon.com/Aquatic-AquaFuge-Small-Hang--Refugium/dp/B0099U27WQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1366255417&sr=8-2&keywords=CPR+Aquatic+AquaFuge+2+Small

Thinking I would need to mod it maybe though to hold chemi-pure/ purigen and Poly Filter floss? Something else I'm wondering is if it would be able to hold a skimmer in it with the light. Any thoughts? I'm running a AC70 as of right now. Also I think the Fuge holds a total of 2.5 gallons, Could that give me more Volume to get another fish? I have a pair of young small clowns only atm. I need to get some pictures up soon!

I'm was thinking Watchman or firefish, the clowns are really small, maybe half an inch. any feedback on the fuge?

also, got another hydor 425 for the other side of the tank

Only problem with adding a timid fish is theres a good chance they'll bully it since it'll be stepping in their turf, but redoing the scape a bit can help.

Instead of the refugium, I'd just get an inTank media basket for the AC70.

The two gallon water volume increase is marginal at best. It won't really affect stability. That said, your tank could probably support another small fish.

Instead of the refugium, I'd just get an inTank media basket for the AC70.

The two gallon water volume increase is marginal at best. It won't really affect stability. That said, your tank could probably support another small fish.

I did end up getting the media basket It just seems small, was hoping to grow some macro algae and throw my heater in there and maybe some mud? Seabass, what fish would you recommend?

I had a Blue Head Combtooth Blenny that I was particularly fond of:

blenny.jpg

You can find them at Diver's Den for $20 from time to time.

There are a number of small Gobies, a couple Cardinalfish, Firefish, and and other Blennies which could be suitable.

Personally I'd skip the fuge (and definitely skip the mud). If you want to grow a Chaeto ball in your media basket, that's fine; but I'd just run floss, carbon and Phosguard.

You could run floss, something like Seachem's Seagel (mix of carbon and Phosguard) in a media bag, and a ball of Chaeto if you really wanted.

AC70%20installed%20side.jpg

I'd be alright with skipping the Chaeto, but you have that ability if you want.

cool, I never thought about jamming both in one compartment. So you recommend the Seachem's Seagel, Phosguard over chemipure elite and purgen?
So I have a few different zoa's frags, gsp, some really ugly polyps and got 2 small frags of ricordea today. maybe in a month or so I will get something else. anything really pretty and easy you can recommend?

cool, I never thought about jamming both in one compartment. So you recommend the Seachem's Seagel, Phosguard over chemipure elite and purgen?

Seagel is one product (Phosguard combined with their Matrix activated carbon). It is similar to ChemiPure but will do a superior job of removing phosphate, but you will need to switch it out more often.

So I have a few different zoa's frags, gsp, some really ugly polyps and got 2 small frags of ricordea today. maybe in a month or so I will get something else. anything really pretty and easy you can recommend?

Did you ever upgrade the lighting?

Yes I did, I removed the stock light and put some LED strips, the zoa's like them just got the new stuff today but I did get a panorama pro also, need to put that under there too and will order another maybe next week

If you have enough light, I'd try some LPS too. There are lots of choices that will really add to the look of your reef.

Archived