Innovative Marine Aquariums

15 gallon aqueon Column noob here

Idontknowz

Hi, I just got my tank up and running about 19 days ago (live rock and sand), 15 days in I got a Hermit crab and 2 Nassarius snails to help clean up. Today I'm going to do my first water change. I have not upgraded anything that came with the tank yet (filter and t5 light) I did add a power head (250 gph I believe) I will take this power head out and use it in my saltwater mixing bucket and probably buy two more, more powerful, power heads. anyways, I'm taking it very slow and was wondering if anyone had this tank or a similar size foot print that could sell me on some good hardware I should upgrade to. I have an idea of what I want to run but am a noob and always open for some advice. all tips and advice welcome!!
also what to expect in this long road to establish this tank! `John

post-78705-0-94546500-1369104839_thumb.jpg

post-78705-0-59921200-1369105140_thumb.jpg

post-78705-0-84844200-1369105548_thumb.jpg

post-78705-0-77751400-1369105651_thumb.jpg

post-78705-0-37752900-1369105808_thumb.jpg

post-78705-0-48354100-1369105932_thumb.jpg

post-78705-0-48814400-1369106133_thumb.jpg

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The stock light is only suitable for a fish only tank (which is fine if you don't want to keep a full reef). If I were making it a reef tank, I'd put a PAR38 LED bulb above it.

For filtration, You could hang a protein skimmer on the back and get a BRC carbon reactor (for an activated carbon/GFO mix). Or you could drill the back for an overflow (which might be nice). The dimensions will likely limit the size of the sump (but it could still give you a place for a heater, reactor, and small sump skimmer).

You could even run a canister filter if you remove the biomedia and clean it every week. Then again (with large enough water changes), the stock filter could be adequate for a basic mechanical and chemical filter. However, I'd change it out for a more powerful HOB filter that provides more flow and gives you more room for media.

I would shoot for around 500 gph of flow for a reef tank (which includes a power head and power filter, but not a skimmer). After thinking about this response, I'd put the PAR38 bulb above it, and buy a larger hang on back filter (it might even fit an AquaClear 110, which could provide enough flow by itself). If the larger Power filter was less than 400gph, I'd , get a Koralia nano power head for additional flow.

15 gallon...is it 20x10x20'sh?

Put up a pic if you can, there are a few things we can help with if we see a pic that you may not have even thought of yet.

Its 9inch t series florescent. I just got one of these for free that ima use a fuge.... however if you are thinking of new lights youll need to go topless. Par38 would work witg 60 degree optics since the tank is 19 deep. Id get a hob skimmer or use a fluval chi 7 gallon for a sump. Eshoppes nano overflow box. The chi will fit inside the oem stand for the aqueon column if thats what you have

I have the exact same tank. I put in 2 korillia nano powerheads and upgrade the stock aqueon filter to a aqueon quiteflow 50. as for the lights, i took out the stock t5 and add a led kit from rapidled. (12 leds.. 6blue, 4white, 2uv)

Thanks for the feedback guys, I did end up getting the aquaclear 110 was wondering if I should turn it into a refugium? I also ordered a korillia 420 I think it was called. Wondering if that's too much flow?and did upgrade my heater as well, the eheim jager 50. Light will have to wait a little bit. Was wondering if a few stunner strips would be enough. Any chemical or supplements I should know about?

Hmm... 500 gph for the filter and 420 gph for the power head. That's almost twice what you need. I'm thinking the HOB filter might be enough by itself. I'd try it out before I opened the Koralia. You are looking at a little more than 60 times turnover with the two. However, it still might be OK, since, I think, you can turn down the AquaClear.

You know, some people love those refugiums; but I'd rather just put some mechanical and chemical media in it. And depending on the heater, you might be able to get that in there too. Check out inTank's AC110 media basket: http://shop.mediabaskets.com/AquaClear-110_c46.htm

Hold off on all supplements at this point. A decent reef salt (even marine salt) will be fine until you have enough corals to consume enough elements where dosing is required. Remember, only dose when a test kit indicates that a level is low, and don't elevate levels higher than recommended.

Not sure on the Stunner Strips with a 2 foot tall tank. Maybe somebody else can help you out on that.

I really like that media basket! But 80 bucks, ouch.. I though because the tank was so high I should go big to move the water and was going to change the blades on the aquaclear to slow it.. so no chempure or anything for now?

I really like that media basket! But 80 bucks, ouch.. I though because the tank was so high I should go big to move the water and was going to change the blades on the aquaclear to slow it.. so no chempure or anything for now?

I like the basket too, but you could do it without one (or even add one later on).

I was thinking the height would affect flow too. That's kind of what's nice about the AC110 where most of the water flow is going downward.

Yeah, you can use ChemiPure, activated carbon, Seagel, Phosguard, filter floss, a Poly Filter, or just about any other chemical and/or mechanical media. I just wouldn't use biological media (as the live rock will serve the function).

Hey I have the exact same tank. I've been busy the last few weeks and my progress has been slow,(including updates)

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/317159-first-timer-aqueon-15g-column-build/

I'll update it tomorrow.

I've seen mutiple youtube vids where people get away with stunner strips, also I managed to find a 12" T5 bulb that will help with corals.

http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aquarium-supplies/aquariums/fluval/fluval-shop/fluval-glo-lighting/power-glo-fluorescent-aquarium-tube-8w-30-48-cm-12in-t5.html

I got mine in my LPS(in Canada), that's just the first google link I found.

The T5 should be good for some corals as I asked a coral dealer, and his response was:

"you could probably only keep a few easy to keep softies that require low light

zoas, palys, gsp ,mushrooms , ricordias, xenia, maybe laethers could even get away with frogspawn and hammer but that would b pushing it. you should really think about upgrading you plan on keeping more corals."

I've been looking into the DIY setup from Rapid LED as well, shoot them a mail and ask what they reccomend for your tank. They were pretty helpful with me.

The T5 should be good for some corals as I asked a coral dealer, and his response was: "you could probably only keep a few easy to keep softies that require low light, palys, gsp ,mushrooms , ricordias, xenia, maybe laethers could even get away with frogspawn and hammer but that would b pushing it. you should really think about upgrading you plan on keeping more corals."

Maybe he was thinking it was a dual bulb T5HO fixture (if they made one that size). However, the single, normal output T5 bulb, which came with the system (and with corals up to 24" below the surface) wouldn't be adequate. Again, fine for a FOWLR, but needs to be upgraded for a reef. I just wouldn't want anybody to consider that sound advice.

still in the process of researching lights. I really want to find something I don't have to assemble and can easily retro fit under the hood. I also think I'm going to buy the media basket for the AC 110 rather than doing it myself.. Does anyone know of a good place to buy some quality dry rock?

I can second the bulk reef supply...I just bought some, and got some nice pieces. I ordered 10lbs and asked for 4-5 pieces so I could make it work with my setup...I got 5 pieces and used 3 along with my live rock. The reef saver stuff it awesome to work with, stacks really easy too.

At first I wanted more Fiji rock but after see the video on the reef saver stuff I'm sold! Thanks, guys. Wish I saw it sooner and that this hobby wasn't so expensive!!

At first I wanted more Fiji rock but after see the video on the reef saver stuff I'm sold! Thanks, guys. Wish I saw it sooner and that this hobby wasn't so expensive!!

Pukani dude...

fts214_zpsda6ff9f3.jpg

This is 37lbs of pukani in an 80. You could order like 7 pounds and get a few nice pieces and be set...

To put that in perspective. My base rock in my 25 is 32lbs...it is the rock on the left

PART951323262000156.jpg

That was basically reef saver rock

so the Pukani is really light huh? loving the left arch on the 80! how many pieces is that and is it resting or do you have it glued with something? every time I think I know what I want something changes lol. the only think I DO know is what kind of fish I want. does anyone know (my noob is coming out) if a percula and an ocellaris will pair? what is the difference between them, region?

They are different species. There might be rare exceptions; but if you want two, they should be the same species. Now there are Black Ocellaris, and a number of designer Ocellaris Clownfish (Picasso, Naked, Platinum , and more). You coul mix any of those if you wanted. I personally like the pair to look similar to each other.

isn't the platinum a percula? just opened my AC110 to find out it looks a tad bit too big for the tank guess I'll have to seal off the end a little bit ughhh

Silly question; did you try one of the other sides? That tank has different sized sides (13.6" and 13.8").

Yeah, your right (for A. ocellaris) ORA calls them Premium Snowflake. Likewise, I think another design is called Picasso, while ORA calls them Black Ice Snowflake (I believe others call them DaVinci). Plus there are Domino, Midnight, Black Snowflake, Misbar, etc.

http://www.orafarm.com/products/fish/clowns/

The point I was trying make (although quite badly), was that they should be the same species, but don't need to look the same.

They also have black snowflake clowns. I always thought a "normal" snowflake and a black would look sweet together.

I agree!

I may just ditch this tank and transfer everything to a 20 long :/

Archived