Cultivated Reef

If you had to pick only ONE substrate for a 10 gallon

Hexadron

Haha! Just like my fish post a while back! Yes i know this question has been asked a bazillion times, but I would prefer feedback from current members. :)

Okay so after making a trip to the LFS I purchased CaribSea Arag-Alive Bimini Pink (0.5-5mm) I had it in my head that it was Fiji Pink, and was disappointed after I looked it up. The grain size looks quite small in the bag, but upon closer inspection has a slew of quite large particles which doesn't look the best.

Even though i'm not crazy about it, i have narrowed it to the three choice below:

1. CaribSea Arag-Alive Bimini Pink (0.5-5mm)
  2. CaribSea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink (0.5-1.5mm)
  3. CaribSea Arag-Alive Bahamas oolite (0.25-1mm)

Just to give you an idea of my upcoming setup:

10 gallon aquarium

MP10 ES for flow

Focusing on SPS (which require more flow)

Of course, like everyone to ask this question before me, the Oolite looks amazing, but Fiji Pink seems more practical. I have heard both ends, where one is better, or Oolite isn't that bad for storms etc...

What are your guys' opinions, or what did you go with and why?

TL;DR

Choosing from these substrates below, which one would you pick and why?

1. CaribSea Arag-Alive Bimini Pink (0.5-5mm)
  2. CaribSea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink (0.5-1.5mm)
  3. CaribSea Arag-Alive Bahamas oolite (0.25-1mm)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Tropic Eden Reef Flakes from premium aquatics. It's a great looking sand, I was smiling just cleaning it. :)

Not an option for me at all. Shipping would cost more than the sand itself, by a large margin mind you.

BLACK!

You suck Eddie :lol:

Fiji Pink, because I think Fiji Rock is the best and I like things to match.

I know lots of people here use Fiji Pink. It's kind of what I was leaning on for practicability.

Caribsea Black Pacific

Boo! Black isn't an option! Not for what i'm going for though.

I just favor Oolite of the substrates because of its overall look.

I love the look as well, but how is it for "sand storms" I hear both ends of the spectrum when it comes to that. From it doesn't to "Holy shitballs, it's a blizzard!"

I love the look as well, but how is it for "sand storms" I hear both ends of the spectrum when it comes to that. From it doesn't to "Holy shitballs, it's a blizzard!"

I am barebottom right now. I have only seen the tanks with oolite but they usually have another substrate with a heavier grain mixed in which is what I am going to try and accomplish in my 50 gallon. So a 50/50 of Fiji and Bahamas sound good.

• Like 2

I am barebottom right now. I have only seen the tanks with oolite but they usually have another substrate with a heavier grain mixed in which is what I am going to try and accomplish in my 50 gallon. So a 50/50 of Fiji and Bahamas sound good.

Well I think I am going to go with CaribSea Arag-Alive! Fiji Pink as well as CaribSea Ocean-Direct Oolite. I can get the Ocean-direct in a 5lb bag and probably use about 5lbs of the Fiji Pink.

What do you guys think?

I am not going to have crazy flow, but something about 40x+ turnover for SPS. I think this mix is exactly what i'm looking for for asthetics and function.

Fwiw, eventually your sand will start to create a biofilm which will keep it in place more than when you set it up. That being said, if ur going high flow then it still might cause headaches at first but a 10 gallon isn't too bad length wise tho so I shouldn't have to crank it up that much.

Special grade reef I've used as well and it's pretty good. Much larger and definitely won't blow around as much. Alot will be determined by how u want it to look. If u don't care as much about the look between a larger and smaller grain size then I think larger will be easier just so u can blast the heck out of crap if u want.

oolitic sand and vortechs don't mix well, especially in a small tank, unless you throttle it way down (which makes having a vortech overkill).

• Like 1

So Fiji Pink seems to be the "go to' sand most people seem to use. it must be for good reason too. Aesthetically pleasing and large enough not to create sandstorms constantly.

So for those of you who use it, how much "pink" is in Caribsea Arag-Alive! Fiji Pink sand? I'm just debating between that and Caribsea Aragamax Select which is the same grain size but without the pink.

Just some background, my tank is all base rock "dead" and I am not seeding this with any sort of live rock or anything. It will be a long cycle, but really, is that bacteria in the "Arag-Alive worth it?

I still think Tropic Eden mini flake is the way to go. Shipping isn't bad, it's only $8 thru premium aquatics. Looks 10x better than caribsea. I guess you get what you pay for.

I still think Tropic Eden mini flake is the way to go. Shipping isn't bad, it's only $8 thru premium aquatics. Looks 10x better than caribsea. I guess you get what you pay for.

Ya shipping isn't quite that forgiving to Canada. $96.18 is the cheapest option, and even so there may be additional taxes/duties by the time it gets to me. I rather just pay around $20 thank you.

otj3ar.jpg

i have oolite in my 220 and bimini in my 28jbj neither blow around unless my snowflake is making a new hole. but both had alge and my 8 gallon has aragonite and never gets it? hope that helps?

Didn't know our Canadian counter parts got the short end of the stick, good luck with that lol

Tell me about it! I especially love when they ship to Alaska or Hawaii and totally ignore Canada :(

i have oolite in my 220 and bimini in my 28jbj neither blow around unless my snowflake is making a new hole. but both had alge and my 8 gallon has aragonite and never gets it? hope that helps?

Any experience helps! Thanks :)

As long as you don't use black you'll be fine.

Why? Black sand looks the best by far. Makes your corals pop out. Only disadvantage is some of it is magnetic. Not a big deal though.

its definitely a matter of taste, as far as corals popping thats fine and good but under bluish lighting black sand looks too much like an arcade and not natural looking imo.

Archived