Coral Vue Hydros

40B Box O' Rocks

Acielot

~Box O' Rocks~

Check the most current post for what going on. Big updates happen here.
Current FTS:

FTS_zpsqqgtuykm.jpg

Livestock:
Fish:
1 bluehead wrasse
Occy clown pair
1 coral beauty

Non-snail Clean Up Crew:
1 brown serpent starfish
florida cucumber (unknown species but it eats detritus)

2 pencil urchins

4 longspine urchins(?) they were hitchhikers on my gulfliverock

Coral:
Bubble

Hidden Cup

Montipora

Acropora

Palythoa

Lobophyllia

GSP

Inverts:

Rock Boring orange sponge

Yellow Ball Sponge

Rock anemones

3 maxi mini anemones

Macro:

Gracilaria hayi

Gracliaria (?)

Shaving brush Caluerpa

Sea fan Caluerpa

Pinecone Caluerpa

Caluerpa prolifera

Peyssonnelia capensis

Equipment:
40 gallon Breeder
Mp40
Reefbreeders Photon 24

TLF phosban reactor

Seaclone skimmer

Current as of 4/15/15

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that I have finalized my order with KP Aquatics for 50lbs of live rock, but I am still debating it since it would be shipped. For an extra $20 I could pick up rock from GulfLiveRock and have virtually no die off. :/ I'm torn.

As for stocking I am thinking about adding

1. White Banded Possum Wrasse
  2. Pipefish
  3. Lyretail Anthias
  4. and maybe a mandarin goby (depending on how my pod population looks)

1. Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
  2. Red Tile Starfish
  3. Standard CUC

Any suggestions or experiences welcome.

My McCoskers is my favourite fish. Lots of character.

Depending on how everything looks when it gets going I may get 2 and drop another fish of the list. :happy:

It is not uncommon for CBS to kill fish. They are beautiful but I won't have one for that reason. On the flip side, hawkfish are not shrimp safe.

Oh I figured it was the smaller shrimp like sexies and hermit crabs. Good to know. Looks like they both might have to go.

Whoo! I just snagged a deal of a mini carpet from Petco. Their customer service is great!!! Apparently they have had the nem for quite some time so when I said I wanted it they gave me a $10 discount on the nem and the large piece of live rock it was on for free. omgomgomg Pics to follow once it opens up.

Need a new FTS!

Nothing has changed yet. :( I have only plumbed it all up. I'll get one of the temporary tank though...after I clean it up a bit.

Next week I am going to sand the stand and repaint it as well as pain the back panel of the glass.

So maybe sometime in March I will have everything setup and cycling.

Uh-oh I may be running a bit behind schedule.

On a good note the obviously bleached nem in the pic is getting it's color back again. Just slightly but progress is progress. And I also picked up 2 more zoa frags. :D

Getting the tank sanded and painted this evening. I went to Home Depot and Lowes but I couldn't find eggcrate to save my life. I saw some acrylic sheets but I don't know if the acrylic will work as well as eggcrate to make a jump-proof lid.

In other news the goby has become more social already and tend to hang out near the clownfish. It did however tear one of my mushrooms off a rock and drag it into it's overhang area. And the montipora already shows some growth or I am being overly optimistic either way its polyps are out and it's doing good.

I also just made a reefcleaners order so hopefully my CUC will be complete this Wednesday.

Stand has been sand smooth. If the weather is good tomorrow might go out and paint it. It has been really cold lately and I don't want the paint to be all funky when it dries. Back of the tank has been sprayed black but I plan to paint it also since the spraypaint doesn't cover all that well.

Haircut also tomorrow and then visiting Key Largo this saturday. Might snag up a mantis if i come across one. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I had a moment of weakness and I almost purchased a small acro colony, but my tank isn't ready for those SPS yet so I wasn't ready for that kind of maintenance regime so I just got a small plate coral. :wub:

Not going to spam anyone else's thread with these but I am on a Youtube binge trying to find as many outlandish videos as I can. Sophia Bush is pretty adorable in this next one if you haven't checked out my sig yet. <3

Hey! How's the frogspawn doing? I like your nems B)

It was doing good when it first went it but the hermits irritate it every so often. It has been getting stuffed with food though :D

Haha don't judge the LTA. It wasn't happy when it first went in but it has been slowly getting its color back. It is a pinkish brown right now and the green is starting to come in again.

And so much for not getting another stinging creature, my friend gave me a GBTA clone from his tank. Now I have to find a spot for it hopefully the clowns will at least host that one. :closedeyes:

Pictures please!

Tomorrow. I promise fingerscrossed things have changed quite a bit since the current pic of the 20gallon. Nothing is in the 50 at the moment.

My torch coral is looking more and more pathetic as the days go by. It hasn't grown at all and the polyps are never as extended as they used to be. Tempted to get rid of the sucker to make room for my BTA.

Archived