SaltCritters.com

Magical Flying 4gal Pico Reef Adventures.

SgtBhaji

Yes, I know... an awful title, but it was the best I could come up with at the time.

I have recently ventured in to the world of the salt water reef and against better advice I have started out with an IM 4 gallon. I have asked a couple of questions so far on the boards and also read a wealth of advice on various topics (though I've likely not put that to the best of use knowing me) and thought it time that I started to share my miniature efforts here.

I am only just starting to move along after setting up at the back-end of December, but I’m hoping to update my progress here as things evolve.

Anyway… enough of the waffle… on with piccies

So this is where I started out in December. I was seduced by this piece of coral skelly in the LFS, bought it and crammed it in the tank.

OriginalLayout-December2012_zps77a90706.

Then read that it could become a nightmare in the future, panicked, ripped it out and replaced it with this LR

1-10-13_zpsa5739bfc.jpg

I was feeling much better until this popped up a few days later. After getting some advice from these boards and the purchase of a mini-flamethrower, both it and it's friend were gone. :)

1-7-13-unwelcome-find_zps0d4397ab.jpg

In the last couple of weeks or so, clean-up crew has been going in. A small army of Ceriths, a Florida Cerith and this chap have been mostly on top of things.

1-20-13-emerald_zpsa0f005a7.jpg

So very recently I started to add some very small soft coral frags, starting with this potential nightmare.

P1308742-cleaned_zps4a61e981.jpg

Had to get me a Xenia... I just love them

1-30-13-Blue-Xenia_zpsea296230.jpg

Managed to pick up this shroom as a freebie. Currently waiting for it to attach to a rock. Not 100% sure on what type it is but I love the Greens. IDs welcome. :)

1-27-13-shroom_zps3d878693.jpg

And this is where I am at present

1-30-13-cleaned_zpsa6aad6a2.jpg

So these are my very early steps in to this world... I hope to post more as I move forward. Thanks for the advice and inspiration that this board has provided. :)

• Like 1

Honestly, despite it's growth potential, I really like GSP. Especially if that's a seperate rock from the main, then I think you've done a very good thing. They add so much color and movement to a tank.

Looks great. I want to pick me up one of these tanks to go along with my Nuvo 30. I really like how this is looking so far though. Watch that Xenia as well it can turn into a nightmare pretty quickly.

Thanks! :)

I think I'm begining to see that the Xenia could be like a weed. It's not even been in there a week and I'm convinced it's already growing. Hopefully I can find some tips on hacking it back if it gets unruly. :)

I've never had either become the "nightmare" everyone makes them to be.

Even when I really wanted it to be, guess I'm just unlucky like that.

I've never had either become the "nightmare" everyone makes them to be.

Even when I really wanted it to be, guess I'm just unlucky like that.

Hopefully I can share some of that luck. :)

Thank you for the kind words. :) I'll add some more pics as things move along.

I'm thinking that the next addition will be a ricordea once my shroom is in there. Wouldn't mind a mini-maxi too. After that, no firm plans yet.

The mushie looks like a rhodactis to moi. Anyone else feel free to chime in.

Looking around, I think you're right. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction on that. I hope to get it in my tank this weekend if it commits to a rock in the holding tank.

With how small it is I would really think hard about the maxi-minis. I've never had one, but I see threads popping up all the time about them eating fish, especially in small tanks like this where they really can't avoid them. IMO, there are rics that are way prettier (check aquascapers.com) that definetly wont harm anything.

With how small it is I would really think hard about the maxi-minis. I've never had one, but I see threads popping up all the time about them eating fish, especially in small tanks like this where they really can't avoid them. IMO, there are rics that are way prettier (check aquascapers.com) that definetly wont harm anything.

Aaah... bit late on that front. Ended up picking up a small maxi-mini yesterday. It's about the size of a quarter at the moment. I don't have any plans to add any fish to this tank so it shouldn't be too big a problem.

If it wants to dine on the odd dwarf cerith though, it can go right ahead. I'm convinced they are multiplying. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I figured it's time that I added a couple of updated tank piccies. I have had a bit of a shuffle around and removed some rock and started to add more stuffs.

New Scape

tank-as-of-2-27-13.jpg

Acan and Green Zoas (probably need to shuffle these two at some point)

29cc1dec-c0cf-4b98-a59e-4def705bf7a6.jpg

Start of my Ricordea Garden

ricordeas.jpg

A cool little clam that hitched in on the Zoa frag. Still trying to identify it.

mystery-clam.jpg

Rics under Blue lights. I'm still trying to get the hang of taking pics in this light.

Ricordea-at-night.jpg

Next task is a pump upgrade... Hope to add more pics in the coming weeks.

That's an awesome maxi mini!

Thanks! It's easily my favorite thing in the tank thus far. And it seems to be doing it's bit to keep the snail population under control. If they drop from the rock above they quickly become lunch.

I'm looking at getting that light for my fluval 2g, how are the corals liking it so far?

They seem to be going great so far. They all look mostly happy until I get in there and knock something over with my fat hands... but I don't have any complaints so far.

You may need to bend the arm slightly on a fluval 2g to get it to sit over the center of the tank though. That should be simple enough though. It seems fairly flexible.

Good deal, thanks and yeah, I kinda figured I'd need to bend it a bit since it's made for the 4g. Did you put the corals in just today?

Tank looks nice! Great progress so far.

It looks like you might favor rics and zoas; something we share in common...

Good deal, thanks and yeah, I kinda figured I'd need to bend it a bit since it's made for the 4g. Did you put the corals in just today?

They've been going in gradually for the last month or so.

Oh... I did think of one annoyance with the lamp

... there's no switches on it. You have to unplug each color from the outlet separately to switch them off.

Archived