Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Vega and SOL powered 55g SPS/LPS Holding cell

Captain Hook

I first started 2.5 years ago with a 10g and than upgraded to a 20g, than a 55 and soon to be custom shallow reef bed with 100+ gallons. But for now, I have all my coral segregated on a limited rockwork which replaced a gelidium like infested rockwork previous. I have both my lights installed now and everything wired up properly with a GFCI and drip loops for safety. All pics were taken in the last couple days with no editing.

SPS:

Blue acropora (Acropora divaricata?)

pink birdsnest

green acropora (Acropora verweyi)

millepora (green)

millepora (pink)

montipora cap (green)

montipora digitata (purple)

montipora digitata (orange)

LPS:

blastomussa

acan lords (red and blue)

hammer coral

goniopora (pink)

duncan coral

+ assorted leathers, zoos, mushrooms and blue clam

Fish:

Flame angel

Yellow Tang

Dragonette (red)

Orange diamond sand sifting goby

Chromis

2 black clowns

more pics

post-64787-0-57256200-1359495146_thumb.jpg

post-64787-0-37830200-1359495157_thumb.jpg

post-64787-0-14295600-1359495167_thumb.jpg

post-64787-0-72552300-1359495176_thumb.jpg

post-64787-0-57064300-1359495207_thumb.jpg

post-64787-0-31947500-1359495221_thumb.jpg

post-64787-0-73695200-1359495349_thumb.jpg

post-64787-0-88763100-1359495358_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Vega's on the left.

Are both lights set to the same intensity? If so the vega looks brighter. I know it's temporary but u might want to put some space between those lights. You will get much better spread.

Actually my flame angel is quite the model citizen, I'm pretty impressed. Ive never seen it nip at corals or the clam mantle.

Your right about the intensity, actually yesterday when I took the pic, the SOL blue was turned down to 50 60 60 to try and help my new goniopora come out. Also yes the lighting is temporary, I did notice the spread could be increased a bit

personally they each have distinct attributes I prefer. The vega has a stronger white look and better spread angle, and the SOL blue has a more direct spread and heavier blue makes the colors look different. I dont have the controller for the Vega yet, so I cant play with the spectrum yet, but its fine where its at now,

once AI comes out with the upgrade kit I'll probably upgrade the SOL to a vega, but before that once I setup my much larger tank that is to come, I'll put a metal halide in the middle of the 2 lights for variation in the spectrum I think the halide will bring

correct. I dont mind, like I was saying on the AI club thread, I run everything 100% for 12 hours a day. Sometimes I switch between ramping on the SOL blue and just straight on/off

• Like 1

ya I think thats probably the reason I can keep the intensity up so high, I dont have a PAR meter so I cant say weather its too much or not but the colors are great on the coral, the camera pics are crap compared to reality

new addition will prob be a sixline, I am having problems with those little soft tube feather dusters and hopefully it will eat them... if not than may try a copperband

SeahawkReefer

Not a bad "holding cell"... add some live rock scape and it would be a great reef display too, but I see you have Bigger plans ahead...

• 2 weeks later...

Not a bad "holding cell"... add some live rock scape and it would be a great reef display too, but I see you have Bigger plans ahead...

yea i just got a new job and doubled my yearly income, so that means I get to re buff my whole system. Im going to be adding dry rock as I have had bad experience with unwanted nasties on live rock. I will however seed with some premium live rock, but only a couple pieces.

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

Archived