Coral Vue Hydros

Snizzlepop REEF (New Vega hung w/ Pics Pg 5)

LVCaniac

20 Gallon Snizzlepop Reef

Display: Dimensions: 24"W x 12"D x 16"H

17lbs Fiji Live Rock

20lbs Live Sand

Lighting: Aquaillumination Vega Color w/ Controller

Circulation: Ecotech Vortech mp10es

Filter: AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer

Heater: Marineland 100w

Fish:

Percula Clown Fish

Six Line Wrasse

Invertebrates:

Green Bubble Tip Anemone

Cleaner Shrimp

Purple Pincushion Urchin

Urchin sporting a new hat

Coral:

Various zoanthids

Mushrooms

Ricordeas

Seafoam Palythoas

Nuclear Death Palythoas

Candy Cane Coral (Caulastrea furcata)

Green and Pink Birdsnest Coral (Seriatopora hystrix)

Idaho Grape Montipora (Montipora capricornis)

Blue Staghorn Coral (Acropora nasuta)

Green Cauliflower Coral (Pocillopora damicornis)

Pulsing Xenia (Heteroxenia sp.)

Duncan Coral (Duncanopsammia axifuga)

Green/Purple acan (Acanthastrea echinata)

purple mushroom

• Like 3
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
xerophyte_nyc

I am a big fan of open space. IMO, I think you have enough rock. Select one or two coral for a focal point, and give them room to grow.

• Like 2

I am a big fan of open space. IMO, I think you have enough rock. Select one or two coral for a focal point, and give them room to grow.

what would you suggest as a good focal point coral?

xerophyte_nyc

what would you suggest as a good focal point coral?

For SPS, something with bright colors and good branching like an ORA green birdsnest... or a cool branching Gorgonian... or a Euphyllia which also has great movement. So many great choices.

• Like 2

One week into the cycle and just tested parameters. Everything is looking good. All at 0 ppm and ph is at 8. I'm not expecting my levels to spike too much bc the LR that I got appeared pretty clean.

And despite all the negative things I've heard about the Marineland Reef Compatible LED Fixture; I am going to give it a shot. I've got it up and running and I would be surprised if it is not enough light considering how shallow the tank is.

Cycling 10 gal nano

SeahawkReefer

A big birdsnest as the center focal point with zoas/palys/shrooms/ricordea would be cool... lots and lots of variety to choose from

• Like 1

So my current set up is:

10 Gallon Glass Tank

100W Marineland Heater

Marineland Reef Capable LED Lighting System w/ Timer

3.5W Fluval Sea CP1 Circulation Pump - 265 gph

5lb Live Rock

20lb Live Sand

I'm aiming at using a biological filter method. Any hints or suggestions?

My tank has been cycling for 2 weeks now.

Levels are:

ph - 8

Ammonia - .25 ppm

Nitrite - 0 ppm

Nitrate - 0 ppm

I figured these levels are ok right now during cycling.

Today I found hundreds of pods crawling around so I think I'm in good shape.

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated, you guys have tons more experience than I do. I'm all ears

SeahawkReefer

The beneficial bacteria need a source of ammonia for food... since your live rock was "pretty clean" there won't be much die-off to create ammonia, so you will have to introduce some somehow... fish food, a small piece of raw shrimp, etc etc... you dont need a "hard cycle" but you do need to build up some ammonia then the bacteria will convert it to nitrite then nitrate... you should see your ites go up first then ates go up and ites come down to 0 and you can do a water change to remove some of the excess ates... you can also add bottled bacteria (like seachem stability etc.) to jump start the bacteria levels...

Just passing on what I learned and experienced myself over the last month

-Aaron

The beneficial bacteria need a source of ammonia for food... since your live rock was "pretty clean" there won't be much die-off to create ammonia, so you will have to introduce some somehow... fish food, a small piece of raw shrimp, etc etc... you dont need a "hard cycle" but you do need to build up some ammonia then the bacteria will convert it to nitrite then nitrate... you should see your ites go up first then ates go up and ites come down to 0 and you can do a water change to remove some of the excess ates... you can also add bottled bacteria (like seachem stability etc.) to jump start the bacteria levels...

Just passing on what I learned and experienced myself over the last month

-Aaron

Do you think a frozen cube of brine shrimp and bloodworms will suffice?

Finally Started adding some stuff after maintaining good level for several weeks and doing a water change

CUC - a few weeks ago

Eagle eye zoa

Scarlet Hermit

i had a 2 polyps on the zoa fall off and one piece with 5 polyps about to falls off so I fragged it. i put them on other pieces of LR in my tank and they appear to be doing well which is nice. If they stay alive it will be a nice quick and easy frag. So let's hope.

I also have i believe 3 other types of zoa on this rock. i think one might be dragons eye. i havent been able to confidently id them yet though.

• 2 weeks later...

I added a refugium to the tank the other day and modded a fixture that usually mounts on the ceiling to mount on the wall and add a cable to the outlet via a hole drilled in the base. It has an LED PAR 20 with 500 lumens. I think it will be plenty for this small refugium.

the fixture has actually been doing great! all of the zoa frags that broke off of the original rock are doing well. they had been just sitting on rocks (one of which actually attached itself to the rock) but today i glued the other 3 frag to plugs, so i am still waiting for them to open back up. I also got a green star polyp today that actually had a yellow sponge hitchhike itself to my house. I'll work on getting a FTS up soon. My work schedule has not alloted me a day off since begininning of Feb. while throwing a few 16 hour days in every week. A heatlhy amount of that paycheck is going towards the tank omgomgomg

• 4 weeks later...

im in a nasty battle with red slime algae. constantly stirring the sand and removing it while doing frequent water changes. the stuff just keeps coming back.

all of the frags are still doing well. I added a GSP frag too and it looks great.

I kinda want to make sure i get this algae under control before i add fish.

Is this a good idea or pointless?

new livestock!!!!!

tank bred occelaris clownfish

yellow clown goby

cleaner shrimp!

drip acclimated all of them for an hour. and all appear to be doing great. shrimp is chowing down. and clownfish is swimming around

Green Star Polyp frag Cleaner Shrimp

Yellow Clown Goby Clownfish

Reefhead815

Nice 10gal. Looking good. I too have a 10gal ,I have a little clown goby also. Good fish he will start to host your corals soon. What do you have running in your fudge? Chaeto? U getting a pair for the clown?

Nice 10gal. Looking good. I too have a 10gal ,I have a little clown goby also. Good fish he will start to host your corals soon. What do you have running in your fudge? Chaeto? U getting a pair for the clown?

i was considering a pair for the clown but i think the bio load would be too much for what i have since im not running a filter. Ive got chaeto in the fuge. It grows super fast so i broke half of it off and threw it in the tank too

i had a 2 polyps on the zoa fall off and one piece with 5 polyps about to falls off so I fragged it. i put them on other pieces of LR in my tank and they appear to be doing well which is nice. If they stay alive it will be a nice quick and easy frag. So let's hope.

I also have i believe 3 other types of zoa on this rock. i think one might be dragons eye. i havent been able to confidently id them yet though.

Just wanted to say, be careful when fragging zoas, they releace palytoxen and If you get in you through a cut on your hand or other way you will get really sick. Have fun though zoas are a awesome coral!

Archived