Cultivated Reef

WaWaWang's 40G of Shallownessnessgoon

Wawawang

Retired July 2015 -Livestock transferred to 70g

June 1 2015 FTS

35EC5C9C-F33C-47F6-BFB1-613891C86BA0_zps

Broke down the 57g. Got to a point where I just couldn't take seeing my corals suffer and felt it was time to start new.

Wanted to keep it extremely easy to maintain as my life has become even more hectic and chaotic. As you will notice I was abe to hide all the equipment except for the mp10. I also was able to hide it from the top of the tank with the rock hill and added palms to give it dimension and to hide the equipment even more.

Pics were taking with the lights at around 25% power. Its been running for around 1 months in this new setup.

Tank: Giga's Rimless 40g 40x20x12 - no sump

Stand: Reinforced Target TV stand. Matches my solona stand.

Light: Maxspect Razor LED 27inch 16k

Filtration: Aquatic Life Internal Mini skimmer, drs foster smith HOB with surface skimmer(carbon and phosban inside)

Flow: Hydor Koralia behind rock, mp10, HOB adds flow

ATO: 5.5 gallon tank jbj ATO

Dose: good old Tropic Marine BIO Calcium

Controller: Reef Keeper Lite - Ebo Jager Heater 150 watt

Livestock: Anything that survived the move and neglect

_MG_2960_zpsb0429149.jpg
_MG_2962_zpsfa29bc94.jpg
_MG_2961_zpsf2db82de.jpg
_MG_2965_zps56e243bc.jpg
_MG_2948_zps8df5e4b8.jpg
_MG_2950_zps926e0f1f.jpg

• Like 13

gorgeous scape, the movement out of the tank really catches the eye. My only scape criticism would be the heaviness of the right side of the tank would it be possible to thin it out at all and still keep the height? The height coming out is perfect with the palms delicate look a less bulky scape under it i think would lend to the overall balance of the structure.

I also understand this is hiding equipment so if that isn't possible as it would show equip, id def lack a little balance over showing some ugly equip!

Wow thats looks awesome wawa....The scape and perspective looks awesome. I do agree with hey about the right side being a little unbalanced but other than that its killer. Glad to see so many pieces survived the move.

Always been a huge fan of your setups

Thanks folks. I agree the right side is heavy looking on the top. I definitely noticed that more now that you mentioned that. I used mason jars to plant the palms. The jars are submerged around 2 inches in the rear right in front of the skimmer and HOB filter. The height of the rock covers up the mason jars from being shown if your standing looking down at the setup. I'm going to look around for other ways to plant the palm to bring down the rock atleast 2 or more inches.

Thanks folks. I agree the right side is heavy looking on the top. I definitely noticed that more now that you mentioned that. I used mason jars to plant the palms. The jars are submerged around 2 inches in the rear right in front of the skimmer and HOB filter. The height of the rock covers up the mason jars from being shown if your standing looking down at the setup. I'm going to look around for other ways to plant the palm to bring down the rock atleast 2 or more inches.

i figured they were hidin somethin, good call on tryin to find an ideal way to pot them, looking forward to seeing the final product.

Looking great! I love how you hid so much equipment.

A question for my own future planning. With the Koralia hidden behind the rocks, did you set it up in a way so you could access it to clean it from time to time?

It looks very well balanced to my eye. The moment a few large colonies develop around the base, it'll be perfect.

I tried a similar scape waaay back in my 20x20x10 build, I didn't pull it off nearly as well. Lack of length didn't help, but it's mostly my inability to look at a rockscape with out worrying about cramming as much crap on to it as possible.

I've always wondered, since wet rock will get exposed to air will it be smelly at all?

The rock on the top was dry. So no smell at all.

Looking great! I love how you hid so much equipment. A question for my own future planning. With the Koralia hidden behind the rocks, did you set it up in a way so you could access it to clean it from time to time?

The rear right has a area around 10x6 where its nothing but a structure I made out of light diffusor to support the plants in the mason jars. I can remove the plants and then remove structure that supports the plants to access the koralia.

Very nice job with the scape on both sides of the tank. The only thing I see that could improve the exposed side is one or two large rocks rather than the pile of smaller rocks. Do you have hermits that crawl on to the dry areas?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just not seeing a problem. It looks about as good as you can make it IMO. Pretend the clams aren't present, then I can see how it might be considered too much, but with the clams it looks well balanced. Just from eye balling it, wait for the cap, the Leather and what appears to by a Stylophora colony to grow out. It'll look great.

Strictly my opinion, I'm just saying.

• Like 2

it still looks kinda heavy because it is what it is though, a pile of rock to hide equipment. the main part that doesn't look balanced is the top of the pile outside of the water, if that could be thinned out somehow I think you'd have a much better look. Underwater the look is fine I really like the balance achieved there.

maybe take a few off and rearrange a few different ways as they are outside the tank anyways and post up some pics for opinions. I'm an expert by no means but I do enjoy my balance, lol.

The top part would be easy to thin out, if you aren't afraid of pond foam. Smash n' fill. The base of the island just looks so well executed to my eye, I couldn't imagine messing with that.