Coral Vue Hydros

hey's custom pic0... small fts update

hey

Said

Hi, I'm Dave been lurking here for months and decided to take the plunge into saltwater about 2 months ago. Only reason its taking so long to set up initially is the wait for my custom stand and aquarium but...

my pic0 aquarium came in the other day. Pretty stoked about it, although probably not as stoked as my kid was to play with the box it came in. Great packaging btw Chris.

My goals for this are to keep softies and lps with a pair of clowns and some inverts, nothing real special. If you stay tuned I am sure you will probably get a laugh here and there with my nub saltwater antics.

A thread is boring without pics so heres just the aquarium and stand I had built aswell for it, My other goodies will have a post with all of them together here soon I am just too lazy to go get pics right now.

DSC_0125_zpsc3785cac.jpgThe size of this thing is 18x18x16 with 1/8th inch glass and AIO 4 inch depth across the back., stand is 18x18x34

No the arc lamp is not my aquarium light... but would be kinda cool with a par 38 don't you think? I can adjust it to parallel with the floor, maybe a future project?

DSC_0127_zps017f4774.jpg

DSC_0133_zps0bcebb20.jpg

Build quality is excellent and Chris was a great person to work with I highly recommend his services.

Hope ya'll stick around to see my progress and offer any helpful advice you can think of along the way.

• Like 4
  • Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice, i too am waiting for my picO to come in. Did you make the stand or was it built for you?

I had it made for me and varnished it myself to save a little bit of money, Definitely worth it once I saw the skill put into it, realized the learning curve for me to do something similar just wasn't worth my time.

Well it definitely came out very very nice, well done. If you don't mind telling, how much did you pay for it?

Not at all, was 250 for the stand unfinished solid wood for the front high quality single species ply for the sides and back.

I originally planned on painting it had I realized I would like the poplar grain I would have probably gone with a fancier wood. The biggest thing I saw done that I personally don't think i would've had the patience to do myself was on all the corners where ply would have shown a cut was made and a solid piece of wood was inserted down the length of it giving the entire thing an appearance of solid wood.

• Like 1

can we get photos of the inside of the stand?

DSC_0135_zps11ea8567.jpg

I will probably drill out a hole in the bottom section aswell, I drilled one earlier as a test but my son didn't want to hang out long enough while I drilled the second.

Wow, Chris sure did a fantastic job on the tank! !

How many gallons is the tank able to hold?

I believe its 22.44 gals if I am correct in remembering 1 gal is 231 cubic inches.

I'm actually glad you posted here, your tank is actually the reason I went with ordering my pic0. I was really pleasantly surprised with the quality of it, especially with the AIO.

edit: The 3 viewing sides are starfire, sorry missed that question!

• Like 1
Deleted User 4

I believe its 22.44 gals if I am correct in remembering 1 gal is 231 cubic inches.

I'm actually glad you posted here, your tank is actually the reason I went with ordering my pic0. I was really pleasantly surprised with the quality of it, especially with the AIO.

Hmmm, thanks!

I think Chris just keeps getting better and better in building these tanks ahah. I'll definitely order another tank from him someday in the near future.

I'm leaning towards more to the naked series he has ahah.

So are you going with par 38 led's? What kind of controller are you getting?

Hmmm, thanks!

I think Chris just keeps getting better and better in building these tanks ahah. I'll definitely order another tank from him someday in the near future.

I'm leaning towards more to the naked series he has ahah.

So are you going with par 38 led's? What kind of controller are you getting?

Naw no par 38's for this build I guess I'll bite and say I'm going with a kessil a150w 10k, maybe 2 it depends on what it looks like when I get it wet. I had it over some tanks at my LFS and I'm pretty sure 1 will have this tank covered though, I am in love with the look of the kessil over tanks I looked at an AI nano it just didnt do it for me. I guess if you're a tech junkie though, the crazy setting features of the AI would be its selling point.

As for another big reason I went with a kessil read this post I found about the company.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/led-aquarium-lighting/kessil-lighting-look-inside-company-behind-kessil-led-a150-112120.html

Theres more to these simple beautiful lights than I think many people know, and the fact I'm buying american helps me feel good about the purchase.

IMO not to knock any business Chris would get for naked ADA is the way to go I have a mini M i am working on for freshwater and the cleanliness of it is just stupid amazing. Controller will be an RKL. Trying to keep the build as simple as possible

MP10? B)

I think i have one of those sitting around somewhere.

Deleted User 4

Hmmm yeah kessils aren't bad in terms of coloration and growth. But one thing that's going to irritate you alot which it has to me, was the unavailability to moonlight settings where you can see what's going on in your tank when it's dark.

Also, if you're going to go with kessils, I think hanging it to the ceiling will look pretty hot. The mounting goosenecks aren't too great when it takes in shape and hard to adjust it being straight.

And yes Chris's naked series are just as great as ADA's!! Starphire glass that is.

Ohh you have a mini M? :)

Hmmm yeah kessils aren't bad in terms of coloration and growth. But one thing that's going to irritate you alot which it has to me, was the unavailability to moonlight settings where you can see what's going on in your tank when it's dark.

Also, if you're going to go with kessils, I think hanging it to the ceiling will look pretty hot. The mounting goosenecks aren't too great when it takes in shape and hard to adjust it being straight.

And yes Chris's naked series are just as great as ADA's!! Starphire glass that is.

I'm actually planning an ADA style hanging mount the kessils power supply and big wire I imagine would look a bit wierd hanging from my ceiling. I definitely agree that the gooseneck is not the prettiest thing in the world to look at. As for the moonlighting I can always get a dedicated moonlight for it.

Does your pico have starfire? My mini m's glass color is different from starfire. It is indeed more clear than the starfire glass. I can't speak from experience of the seams of the naked series but the seams on my M are flawless. But heres something I would indeed like to point out, if you buy from Chris you are supporting a small business in the US, always a plus!

Deleted User 4

I'm actually planning an ADA style hanging mount the kessils power supply and big wire I imagine would look a bit wierd hanging from my ceiling. I definitely agree that the gooseneck is not the prettiest thing in the world to look at. As for the moonlighting I can always get a dedicated moonlight for it.

Does your pico have starfire? My mini m's glass color is different from starfire. It is indeed more clear than the starfire glass. I can't speak from experience of the seams of the naked series but the seams on my M are flawless. But heres something I would indeed like to point out, if you buy from Chris you are supporting a small business in the US, always a plus!

Hmmm do you have an example of the ada style hanging mount?? Never seen one.

Also, how are you going to add a moonlight?

My picO manta ray isn't starphire which I highly regret...lol. My ada mini L on the other hand is clear as hell. I mean it's like owning a piece of reef floating in the ocean. Glass is too clear like you said. I thought that was considered starphire? Lol

Yeah the seams on ada, you can barely notice the seams being there...weird because I actually thought there would be a leak somehow due to the insufficient support of seams on the ada haha.

And yes Chris is an expert in building quality type, U.s. made aquariums!

• Like 1

Well I opted for a temporary light hanging solution until I can get ahold of a mig welder some stainless steel and a drill press but this should suffice for a while, mocked up and will be painted soon. any suggestions on height or is it just a preference of how much hang I want on my light?

DSC_0137_zps63ecdc26.jpg

and here is some of my equipment mp10wes, tunze osmolator, tunze 9002 skimmer, and ofc the kessil a150w 10k.

DSC_0141_zps7bbd29c0.jpg

RKL should be here soon aswell as a heater ( any suggestions would be appreciated here).

btw, feel free to give me setup suggestions or tips whenever. It will be much appreciated.

• Like 1

purigen for sure but I am currently undecided on a gfo reactor. I tend to like to overdo things such as filtration. The media basket in this thing is pretty wicked so I have quite a few options here.

Archived