Cultivated Reef

Miracle mud?

Zante

I have it in 3 of my 9 tanks and i like it but my mangroves love it and i wiil use it next tank to cus in the mud tanks i only do small waterchanges but in my non mud tanks i do large waterchanges.

• 2 weeks later...

Ran miracle mud for a year - nothing miraculous. You may scrape by on slightly fewer water changes if you happen to be limited by whatever the mud is releasing. The problem is...you don't know exactly what it is putting back into the tank. And what your tank needs will depend on what you keep and what you feed. Miracle mud may work for some, but I'd say its too much of a gamble.

Ran miracle mud for a year - nothing miraculous. You may scrape by on slightly fewer water changes if you happen to be limited by whatever the mud is releasing. The problem is...you don't know exactly what it is putting back into the tank. And what your tank needs will depend on what you keep and what you feed. Miracle mud may work for some, but I'd say its too much of a gamble.

agree..

I just wanted an environment for copepods, and it seems I have that. so far so good anyway

as far as the mud goes, I have a hunch you would need tons of it to do anything beneficial. I think my tank runs a little cleaner with the HOB, but that's due to many factors other than miracle mud for sure

• 2 weeks later...

agree..

I just wanted an environment for copepods, and it seems I have that. so far so good anyway

as far as the mud goes, I have a hunch you would need tons of it to do anything beneficial. I think my tank runs a little cleaner with the HOB, but that's due to many factors other than miracle mud for sure

The miracle is not in the mud. I use a 30G EcoSystem Mud filter with a 75G Jaubert Plenum DSB. Unfiltered tank water enters first chamber where bioballs oxygenate water and break up detritus. The second and largest chamber is the mud filter which allows detritus to settle and feed worms and pods.

Archived