Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

CADLights Aquariums Official FAQ section and help desk

CAD-Aqua

Hi, Guys

To better serve everyone, we are starting a new FAQs (Questions) section directly from our users. We are planning on taking some questions that many customers have had with our products and answer them here. the FAQs here will be posted on our site to help other customers that may have similar questions.

FAQ sections examples.

1) set up questions

2) tank assembly

3) Filter assembly

4) cabinet assembly

5) TIA Conic and Pipeless skimmers

6) Artisan Aquariums

7) Custom Aquariums

Feel free to post questions here and we will answer them for you.

Thank you

CADLights Aquariums

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well since this is a help thread. Why has Eddie not received his reactor he won from the photo contest? Everyone else received tracking info and there prizes but Eddie can't even get a returned PM.

• 1 year later...

Hi, Eckozulu

The Artisan aquariums use a heavy duty uPVC fittings. the drain is 1.25" and the return as well as the emergency drain is 1/2".

Thanks

Mike Savage

Can you tell me where I can buy a replacement filter sponge for my 8G Mini-II cube? I can't find them at the LFS or on your site.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi, Dramad

The Loc-line we use for the 34G Mini-II is 1/2".

Hi, Mike

We have the Mini series sponge blocks. they come in a large foam block that you can cut to smaller pieces. we will have it loaded up on our site later tonight and I will put a link here for you to be directed to the item.

Thanks

Scott

Hi, HRCOReef

The NR-1 works with a minimum water level of 4" and can work up to when it is fully submerged under water. it runs on its own pressure so as long as the pump is underwater, it works fine.

Thanks so much

Scott

Hey CAD!

I was told I was going to get an email in regards to my order (2044) a couple days ago about when it would be shipping since I will be leaving town on the 15th. Don't remember who I spoke with, but he let me know that you may be shipping me the tank from a distributor around me (in Oklahoma) and have it here prior to the 15th, or waiting to ship it until I return home on the 23rd of this month. Just curious as to which it will be!

PS. Tried to call earlier, but I believe my phone wasn't working.

chironerd21

Hello.. I recently purchased your cad lights pls 100 skimmer. i been having an issue that everytime i do my water change, i pull the plug on the skimmer, and when i m done i plug it back in it will over skim the collection cup and i have to recalibrate it every time. the water level is normal height each time i plug it back in. is this a normal event that i need to recalibrate every single time? thx

Hi, Ecospire. PM sent

Eckozulu: we have 2 8G Cabinets. 1 is the Piano finish white which is made of Maple plywoods and painted with multipl layers of Oil-based lacquered paints. the other model is the MDF matte formica finish. both are the same dimensions at 13 3/4" x 13 3/4" x 30.

Chironerd21: its typical sometimes when skimmers can be thrown off in its settings after water changes. skimmer are mostly dependent on the water chemistry, air pressure and water pressure. after water changes many things happen such as: water chemistry unbalance (mixing) with new water comes new parameters, and this can require resetting the skimmer to adjust to the new levels. partial stress to the tank and its livestock, temporary shut off of the skimmer which requires some time to equalize its pressure.

either one of those things is usually the cause of the skimmer unbalance.

usually the best thing to do for each water change is to temporarily shut off the skimmer. wait overnight or a few hours after the water change before turning it back on. set it to a lower (dryer) setting and let the pressure rise up on its own. once its stabilized at the lower setting, you can adjust it higher as you like.

Thanks so much

Jason

Equipment tech

chironerd21

That sounds good.

I had another problem today. The power went off and when the power came on the skimmer overflow as expected. The skimmate went into the tank? Is this detrimental to the tank that the skimmate went into the tank?

So I shut down the skimmer and turned it back on, as expected it overflow so i lowered the setting as always, but unlike the other times it just making lots of foam. No skimmate but foaming up really quickly to the top filling the cup. I m already at the lowest setting i cant twist the skimmer body anymore.

Is this temporary? Would after a few hrs the skimmer will normalize again? I m assuming what you typed out, the skimmer just trying to normalize again since skimmate flowed into the DT has altered the water chemistry.

Thanks!

bonsaidarrell

Hi Chironerd21,

How much water is your PLS-100 sitting in? I had similar problems until I raised it to about 6" of water (the web site used to say 7-9)"

chironerd21

Hi Chironerd21,

How much water is your PLS-100 sitting in? I had similar problems until I raised it to about 6" of water (the web site used to say 7-9)"

I am at 8.25 inch of water. Its determined by my baffle. It was working fine until this morning's issue. Its making 'big foam' not regular bubbling to form smelly skimmate that it was doing before. I think it just needs to be normalized or taken out and clean. I m letting it run while I am at work as I think if it does overflow it be clean foam going back into the tank anyways without any harm. Hopefully by end of the day it will normalize back to regular height of fine bubbles, and I will readjust the height of the bubbles in the skimmer.

bonsaidarrell

I am at 8.25 inch of water. Its determined by my baffle. It was working fine until this morning's issue. Its making 'big foam' not regular bubbling to form smelly skimmate that it was doing before. I think it just needs to be normalized or taken out and clean. I m letting it run while I am at work as I think if it does overflow it be clean foam going back into the tank anyways without any harm. Hopefully by end of the day it will normalize back to regular height of fine bubbles, and I will readjust the height of the bubbles in the skimmer.

Even though this is new behavior, you might play with putting it up on a stand. It might get you to a better place in the adjustment. When I had mine that deep, just turning it on sent a blast of water into the skimmer cup. As far as overflowing back into the tank, yeah, it isn't great, but on the other hand, that stuff all came from the tank, so it isn't really different than not running the skimmer.

Hi, Chironerd

Sounds like there can be 2 causes:

1) high levels of DOC (Organic waste) or water chemistry unstability. this can cause the skimmer to build up lots of foam and overflow the collection. there can be a lot of chemicals mixing right now which can throw off the skimmer until they all dissolve and equalize.

2) raising the skimmer to 6" allows more of the skimmers reaction body to be utilized and gives you a stronger skimming power. which seems to be what you need as there seems to be a higher content of DOC in your water.

my suggestion. prop up the skimmer so that most of the reaction chamber is above water. the 2 white turning plates on the base of the skimmer should be right at the water line. this sets all of the reaction chamber of the PLS-100 to process the waste. then set the skimmer to a lower or dryer setting where the top of the foam head should be right around the bottom of the skinnier tube inside the collection cup. these 2 settings put together will give you the full 120G skimming power of the PLS-100.

Thanks so much

Jason

Hi, Fox690156

Thank you for your message. The 8G Mini-II stocked lighting has a PAR value of 150 at 1" below water surface. should be fine for most SPS within the upper 1/3 of the tank or 4" from the top.

Thanks so much

Scott

bonsaidarrell

2) raising the skimmer to 6" allows more of the skimmers reaction body to be utilized and gives you a stronger skimming power. which seems to be what you need as there seems to be a higher content of DOC in your water.

my suggestion. prop up the skimmer so that most of the reaction chamber is above water. the 2 white turning plates on the base of the skimmer should be right at the water line. this sets all of the reaction chamber of the PLS-100 to process the waste. then set the skimmer to a lower or dryer setting where the top of the foam head should be right around the bottom of the skinnier tube inside the collection cup. these 2 settings put together will give you the full 120G skimming power of the PLS-100.

So putting it up that high is more like 4-5" of water. I just did that to mine, and now I can close down the ports a bit. It also seems a bit quieter, and is making fewer micro-bubbles.

Hi there!

I have a question regarding the dimensions of the 28 gallon that is to be restocked soon......

Is the attached sump of the 28 gallon the same width (4") as the 34 gallon? I am very interested in the 28 gallon, but I have not been able to see one in person. I HAVE seen the 34 gallon, and the display tank area looks a bit too narrow for liking - presuming it is approx. 12" depth, as the total depth is 16" and the sump is supposedly 4" of that..... The 28 gallon is a slight bowfront, and I wondered if it had a little more display room depth than the 34? (especially if it's sump is slightly narrower as well).

Thanks so much!

Archived