inTank Media Baskets

FishBrawler ReefStock goodies

FishBrawler

I'm FishBrawler! I'm 14 and just started my 1st official year in highschool! I've been in the fish keeping hobby for about 4 years. So mind you this, this is going to be a slow build as I don't have a job and I probably wont be able to get one because of my rigorous school. I'm taking all AP and Honnors classes so no time for one now lol. My first fish was a dragon goby from walmart! Got home and it turn out to be brackish and need a 55 gallon tank! So for chirstmas my dad got me that. Then realizing that there are hardly any beautiful brackish fish, I switch over to saltwater! My 55 gallon is alright, but I made a ton of mistakes along the way that I want to do right this time!

So as a christmas present from my dad and grandparents, I ordered my first fully custom fish tank! The dimensions read 24x24x12 (LxWxH). The tank has an external overflow and is low iron starfire glass! The tank is also rimless.

So now onto the specs:

• Tank: 24x24x12 (LxWxH) inches low iron starfire
  • Heater: Don't know yet! ideas???
  • Return Pump: QuietOne 3000
  • Light:Ledtric iNspire fixture and later upgrade to a radion.
  • Ato: me until I can get a tunze osmolator + 20 gallon tub under the tank
  • Sump: 20 gallon high tank with refugium
  • Protein skimmer: cadlights new pipeless skimmer

I want this tank to be very easily maintained as my parents are divorced and I switch houses every week. I want to experiment with bare bottom but if it isn't appealing, I'll add sand.

Livestock:

• Softies and LPS on the bottom and the brightest SPS I can find on top!
  • Fish=idk

FTS

1-26-13

20130120_165912.jpg

3-21-13

20130321_184512_zps5b51b9a6.jpg

3-27-13

20130327_105724_zps31506679.jpg

3-31-13

20130331_105955_zps13343570.jpg

4-2-13

20130402_172311-1_zps58c1b6df.jpg

4-6-13

IMG_0510_zpse110cb33.jpg

4-13-13

20130412_221055_zpsad5dcc50.jpg

The cycle has begun and there are diatom on the glass. Thats why its so foggy!

6-28-13

http://s1324.photobucket.com/user/FishBrawler/media/20130628_150957_zps970a5c75.jpg.html]20130628_150957_zps970a5c75.jpg[/url]

• Like 5
  • Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fellow high school reefer here!

Bummer about the tank, must have been really disappointing. But hey, gives you more time to figure out the good stuff like stocking ;) any specific plans for the tank?

• Like 1

To my demise, when we got home from picking up the fish tank, I notice the dramatic flaws the builder had done. There was a scratch on the front panel, the silicone had tons of bubbles in it, and the back panel was not even with the two side pieces of glass!

20130121_171924.jpg

Just pitiful craftsmanship! And not to mention that it was a month later than what they said!

Design stages!

20121221_100856.jpg

20121221_104457.jpg

20121221_115546.jpg

20121226_105146.jpg

20121226_124212.jpg

20121226_141202.jpg

20121226_123136.jpg

20121226_141734.jpg

20130102_103611.jpg

20130102_110919.jpg

20130104_131442.jpg

20130107_103655.jpg

Now just the hardware and we will be off!

DSC_09942-1.jpg

11-1.jpg

DSC_0039-1.jpg

tankandstand-1-1.jpg

estherea-hotel-2-1.jpg

IMG_4748-1.jpg

post-11695-0-73441400-1313857834_thumb-1

FTSNOV-1-1.jpg

8097408104_69544a773a_c-1.jpg

IMG_2617-1.jpg

8314750959_0b7b9b050c_c-1.jpg

Screenshot_2012-10-26-14-07-53-1-1.jpg

Screenshot_2013-01-04-17-58-58-1.png

Screenshot_2013-01-04-18-01-58-1.png

Screenshot_2012-12-18-16-45-50-1.png

Screenshot_2013-01-25-20-18-10-1.png

Is that current FTS of the new tank? Is the craftsmanship better then the first one? I would imagine since you kept it, but I figure I would ask anyways :P

First off, I really love the dimension of your tank! I used to have a similar tank that was 20x20x10. It was acrylic though, so I sold it before I even started it up because I didn't want to deal with the scratches that come along with acrylic over time. It's just inevitable with acrylic.

Second, you have some serious planning going on, and it looks like you know exactly what you want to do, and that is really important. That "measure twice, cut once" saying definitely applies to the reefing world too. Always do your research, and then some more research. In the long run it will save you headaches, and will save you money.

What are your plans for liverock? If I may make a suggestion, I would suggest going with all base rock instead of live rock, and then seeding the base rock over time with small pieces of live rock. Not to mention your rock will become live over time with all the coral frags you put in as well. The reason I suggest skipping the live rock is because of the very likely chance that you will introduce pests in to your tank. I have seen MANY beautiful aquariums destroyed because of pests that hitchhiked on the live rock and just eventually over time completely took over the entire aquarium.

Also, about buying lights, and then upgrading later on. It's in your best interest to save your money now, and buy the light fixture you really want. There's no need to spend a hefty sum of money on an LED unit now, only to spend another hefty sum a few months, or a year down the road. That's just wasting money that could be spent on coral and other equipment lol.

Just some things to consider... :)

• Like 1

Is that current FTS of the new tank? Is the craftsmanship better then the first one? I would imagine since you kept it, but I figure I would ask anyways :P

First off, I really love the dimension of your tank! I used to have a similar tank that was 20x20x10. It was acrylic though, so I sold it before I even started it up because I didn't want to deal with the scratches that come along with acrylic over time. It's just inevitable with acrylic.

Second, you have some serious planning going on, and it looks like you know exactly what you want to do, and that is really important. That "measure twice, cut once" saying definitely applies to the reefing world too. Always do your research, and then some more research. In the long run it will save you headaches, and will save you money.

What are your plans for liverock? If I may make a suggestion, I would suggest going with all base rock instead of live rock, and then seeding the base rock over time with small pieces of live rock. Not to mention your rock will become live over time with all the coral frags you put in as well. The reason I suggest skipping the live rock is because of the very likely chance that you will introduce pests in to your tank. I have seen MANY beautiful aquariums destroyed because of pests that hitchhiked on the live rock and just eventually over time completely took over the entire aquarium.

Also, about buying lights, and then upgrading later on. It's in your best interest to save your money now, and buy the light fixture you really want. There's no need to spend a hefty sum of money on an LED unit now, only to spend another hefty sum a few months, or a year down the road. That's just wasting money that could be spent on coral and other equipment lol.

Just some things to consider... :)

Thanks! Well I got my Rock coming from Marco Rock. I am going to use their prime cuts for the bottom so it sits flat. I think that it will look better. As for the lights, I am going with the cheaper ones right now because the radion is WAY out of the price range! I might be able to get it in a year if I don't spend money on ANYTHING ELSE. So with the inspire my dad can get it for me for my birthday, and then I can sell it and get the radion for Christmas. You know a good heater? Pump?

Ah I see. All good choices then!

Well on my previous two aquariums I used a RENASmart heater and it worked wonders for me before I sold it off. I recommend those. As for a return pump, Mag-Drive makes really good pumps, but they are a bit more expensive. I have used a LifeGard QuietOne 1200 for the past 3 years and it's never let me down. They are high quality pumps and they are very quiet as well.

Ah I see. All good choices then!

Well on my previous two aquariums I used a RENASmart heater and it worked wonders for me before I sold it off. I recommend those. As for a return pump, Mag-Drive makes really good pumps, but they are a bit more expensive. I have used a LifeGard QuietOne 1200 for the past 3 years and it's never let me down. They are high quality pumps and they are very quiet as well.

Oh. This is not the new tank! UNLUCKILY! And I have an Ehiem on my 55 right now. I want this tank to be as quiet as possible because my dad gave me the basement to myself and that is going to be where I do my homework and hang with my friends. So it needs to be quiet. My grandma said she would give me my the money for my pump and birthday early! So I have a price limit of about $200 on a pump. Have you had experience with a water blaster. they really move water, but are they quiet?

Nope, no experience with those pumps unfortunately. All I know is that the QuietOnes are very quiet pumps. But for $200 on a pump, I don't think you can go wrong lol. There are endless pump choices for $200.

Nope, no experience with those pumps unfortunately. All I know is that the QuietOnes are very quiet pumps. But for $200 on a pump, I don't think you can go wrong lol. There are endless pump choices for $200.

Ya. I just need something that will stay quiet and move enough water until I can get that mp10! I'll take a look at those quiet ones pumps. I'll also take a look into the water blasters and report back. :) Thanks for the input!

I just want to say that its wonderful that you have so much support from your family! I started doing the whole saltwater she-bang when I was 12 and was a "high school reefer" all throughout. Now I'm a college reefer majoring in biology.

You're designs look wonderful and I'll be tagging along!

• Like 3
I just want to say that its wonderful that you have so much support from your family! I started doing the whole saltwater she-bang when I was 12 and was a "high school reefer" all throughout. Now I'm a college reefer majoring in biology.

You're designs look wonderful and I'll be tagging along!

Ya! I love reefing and the complexity and beauty. My dad is the one who really got me going though. I owe it all to him! He actually said that I couldnt sell my 55 because it was part of his life and decor of the room! My mom however says that it is a waste of money space and time! I can't even have a tank at her house!

It looks like you have a good plan in place. Make sure you say thanks to your folks every day. They are really going all out to support you and your hobby!

Still no plans for fish?

• Like 1

here are the specs! Looks like it is hit or miss with the loudness!

WaterBlaster7000_FlowChart.jpg

It looks like you have a good plan in place. Make sure you say thanks to your folks every day. They are really going all out to support you and your hobby!

Still no plans for fish?

Ya. I dont really have plans for fish yet. You got any ideas that would be colorful? That is really my main goal here! I want corals and fish that when my friends come over they just say wow!

Ya! I love reefing and the complexity and beauty. My dad is the one who really got me going though. I owe it all to him! He actually said that I couldnt sell my 55 because it was part of his life and decor of the room! My mom however says that it is a waste of money space and time! I can't even have a tank at her house!

Same exact situation. Sadly though I lived with my mom, so all my tanks were banished to the basement. The unfinished basement that was cold and damn and icky. Oh well..

Anyways, I didn't read through all of this, but a great piece of equipment I will NEVER again go without would be some kind of controller. The cheapest one around I think is 120 or something (reefkeeperlite by digital aquatics) and you should definetly look into it. You can upgrade it whenever you want and however you want, but I will never again set up a legitimate tank like you are doing now without one.

here are the specs! Looks like it is hit or miss with the loudness! WaterBlaster7000_FlowChart.jpg Ya. I dont really have plans for fish yet. You got any ideas that would be colorful? That is really my main goal here! I want corals and fish that when my friends come over they just say wow!

I really like my parent's yellow corris. Super bright and active fish. Also, I'm partial to goby/pistol pairs. Yashas are really pretty...

Edit: just saw the dimensions of your tank... might be a big small for a corris.

I hate to be negative nancy here, but is that stand going to hold that tank? It doesn't look to have any cross bracing at all. One bump with 400lbs sitting on it and down it goes.

Same exact situation. Sadly though I lived with my mom, so all my tanks were banished to the basement. The unfinished basement that was cold and damn and icky. Oh well.. Anyways, I didn't read through all of this, but a great piece of equipment I will NEVER again go without would be some kind of controller. The cheapest one around I think is 120 or something (reefkeeperlite by digital aquatics) and you should definetly look into it. You can upgrade it whenever you want and however you want, but I will never again set up a legitimate tank like you are doing now without one.
That is definetly on my list too! My dad is a hydrologist and loves tracking all this so if I am lucky he may buy me one!

I hate to be negative nancy here, but is that stand going to hold that tank? It doesn't look to have any cross bracing at all. One bump with 400lbs sitting on it and down it goes.
Ya. My grandpa is a carpender and he said that this could hold it. (I hope. He is in his 80s so I dont know how reliable he is) But I think on edge it can hold 600+. The people in the diy section said I could use it too. So in the end I am happy and not worried at! :)

I really like my parent's yellow corris. Super bright and active fish. Also, I'm partial to goby/pistol pairs. Yashas are really pretty... Edit: just saw the dimensions of your tank... might be a big small for a corris.
Ya I know. But most fish, (and I say most because not all) stay in a zone of height. Now idk if zones exist in a tank with an 11inch water level, but if they do, the surface area is the same as my 55 gallon. Very bright fish though. I like that idea!
My grandpa is a carpender and he said that this could hold it. (I hope. He is in his 80s so I dont know how reliable he is) But I think on edge it can hold 600+. The people in the diy section said I could use it too. So in the end I am happy and not worried at! :)

Eh. I'm sure it can hold the weight if it never shifted. I'm worried that it's going to just fold if it gets more than a light nudge.

Eh. I'm sure it can hold the weight if it never shifted. I'm worried that it's going to just fold if it gets more than a light nudge.

It has about 60, 1 3/8 inch nails. Its more study than my 55 stand.

Here are some of the corals from my 55 gallon that I will be transfering to the new tank once the front piece of glasses is replaced and the re silicone.

20120904_153720.jpg

20121125_113730-1.jpg

20130125_063255.jpg

20130105_153111.jpg

• Like 1
Really nice corals, Carson. What did you use to take those photos? They turned out really nice!

Thanks. I used my galaxy s3. I think it takes way better pictures than the iphone!

• Like 1

Screenshot_2013-01-24-19-28-18-1.png

Sorry some of these are REALLY blurry!

So now onto the specs:

• Heater: Don't know yet! ideas??? neotherm, pricey but beastly
  • Return Pump: Don't know yet! ideas??? (want it to be strong enough that I dont have to buy another powerhead yet. Want to buy an MP10Wes but I'm like $300 short lol) Eheim is one of my favs
  • Light:I don't know yet! but hopefully I can get my dad to buy the Ledtric iNspire fixture and later upgrade to a radion. Razor 20 inch
  • Sump: 10 gallon tank with refugium 4:1 DR:RB LED's for fuge lighting
  • Protien skimmer: cadlights new pipeless skimmer

I want this tank to be very easily maintained as my parents are divorced and I switch houses every week. I want to experiment with bare bottom but if it isnt appealing, I'll add sand. sand

Livestock:

• Softies and LPS on the bottom and the brightest SPS I can find on top! Cool
  • Fish=idk I'm good with fish, if you need any help post a thread in the fish forum or PM an expert

FTS

1-26-13

20130120_165912.jpg

I'm excited to try out LEDs and the barebottom. I also want to make this tank very manageable because my 55 isn't really.

• Like 1

Screenshot_2013-01-24-19-28-18-1.png

Sorry some of these are REALLY blurry!

So now onto the specs:

• Heater: Don't know yet! ideas??? neotherm, pricey but beastly
  • Return Pump: Don't know yet! ideas??? (want it to be strong enough that I dont have to buy another powerhead yet. Want to buy an MP10Wes but I'm like $300 short lol) Eheim is one of my favs
  • Light:I don't know yet! but hopefully I can get my dad to buy the Ledtric iNspire fixture and later upgrade to a radion. Razor 20 inch
  • Sump: 10 gallon tank with refugium 4:1 DR:RB LED's for fuge lighting
  • Protien skimmer: cadlights new pipeless skimmer

I want this tank to be very easily maintained as my parents are divorced and I switch houses every week. I want to experiment with bare bottom but if it isnt appealing, I'll add sand. sand

Livestock:

• Softies and LPS on the bottom and the brightest SPS I can find on top! Cool
  • Fish=idk I'm good with fish, if you need any help post a thread in the fish forum or PM an expert

FTS

1-26-13

20130120_165912.jpg

I'm excited to try out LEDs and the barebottom. I also want to make this tank very manageable because my 55 isn't really.

So do you have any advice if the sump could handle 850-900 gph with 1 inch baffles?

So whay do you think the max flow I could run through the sump would be? With head loss and corner I put it probably around 850-900 gallons per hour running through there. Do you think 1inch baffles could handle that?

Archived