• Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
Mr. Microscope

You're back!!!!!

omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

Thanks for the video. Love all the sea grass and chalk bass. That mimic tang is cute too (or is it actually a lemon peal angel, lol?).

:welcome: back. I haven't updated my tank in a couple months. Been dealing with some issues. Soon to post an update though.

You're back!!!!!

omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

Thanks for the video. Love all the sea grass and chalk bass. That mimic tang is cute too (or is it actually a lemon peal angel, lol?).

:welcome: back. I haven't updated my tank in a couple months. Been dealing with some issues. Soon to post an update though.

Thanks! Life gets in the way of my ability to keep up with Nano-Reef. I feel guilty about not posting to all the lovely people I have met here! :unsure:

This is a quick cell phone video but I thought I would throw it up since I do not have the time to make a movie like I want to do.

It is an immature Atlantic Blue Tang. He is very friendly and likes to hang out with Sharkey (Neon Wrasse).

I added a sump, skimmer and an CPR overflow. I am disappointed with the Razors for the lighting. Corals do not do well in this tank. It may be too big or/and too deep for these lights. I am planning on getting the BuildMyLed fixtures soon.

You couldn't have picked more soothing music for your video. Loved it. I really enjoy how natural your tank looks. Looks so peaceful. Not overdone. :wub:

jedimasterben

I dont think I would place them high up. They'll probably move down a bit.

Before you spend the big bucks on new fixtures, I would consider the wide angle lenses as a test first. Also, what is your lighting schedule like?

Tank is be-YEW-ti-ful! Love the caulerpa forest. I wish I could do stargrass in my tank, but my rabbitfish likes it too much and I have no sand :)

Thank you FlowerMama. I just added some rock flowers and placed high under the lights. Fingers crossed.

Yeah, they like medium to medium high so move them down they'll be happier. Can't wait to see pics of your lovelies!

I dont think I would place them high up. They'll probably move down a bit.

Before you spend the big bucks on new fixtures, I would consider the wide angle lenses as a test first. Also, what is your lighting schedule like?

I hoped the flowers would move to where they were comfy. I figured if I place them too low, that my rockscape may be a bit of a challenge to climb up.

I have them start at 8 am and ramp to 100% for four hours and ramp back down at 8 pm. I have them suspended to about 4" above the water. I have three Razors. The first two I purchased (first gen) overheated and melted. I purchased the replacement parts and repaired them. I was not impressed with the quality and that I had to pay for something that was obviously a manufacturer's defect. :angry:

The third unit over the 34g nano seems to do great for the Hammer, Frogspawn and orange Rock Flower. The Zoas do not like it and prefered the PC lights I had on them originally.

Yeah, they like medium to medium high so move them down they'll be happier. Can't wait to see pics of your lovelies!

Thanks for the input. I placed them in shot glasses. The shot glasses are on their sides so they can slither out. They're about 10" from the lights. So far no one has felt the need to move and are eating. :)

Hi, everybody.

I finally have a video up!

https://youtu.be/hjyB1eO1PVY

:wub:

This tank has matured so beautifully :happy:.

That's a bummer about the lights not working so great for you. Like Ben said, and if you don't mind investing more money in them, try the wide angle lenses.

I just did and it's made a huge difference in my tank!

Thanks for coming back to us :flower:.

I have been struggling with lighting in this aquarium. At first I think I was too slow to ramp up the light to keep the coral happy and now I may have them to high. I am trying out a siesta mode, where I back the lights down to 50% for a few hours in the middle of the day.

Having gone on vacation for 4 weeks in December 2013 also did not help the tank. :(

It is discouraging as so many of us know when things do not go the way you hope. I really took it hard when Flute the Yellow Headed Jawfish died shortly after I came back from vacation. I had done a massive cleaning just before I left and I disturbed his den. He did not make another den and I think he was stressed from being out in the open. He was still cowering in one of the corners when I returned. I could not save him from himself. Poor fella. I have learned my lesson and I do not move rocks around unless it is absolutely necessary.

RIP Flute.

Over time the Blue Chromis picked each other off. :wacky:

The original members of the tank are a Molly Miller Blenny, the Royal Gramma and the Neon Wrasse. The coraline algae has grown a bunch! The Caulerpa has also grown across the sand bed like I want; to recreate what I remember seeing while snorkeling in the waters of South Florida. I also love the little feather dusters that have popped up.

It has taken me a year to build my courage up again to get more livestock.

I am on a waiting list for a mated pair of yellow headed jawfish. I really like their intelligent behavior.

So here are some pictures of the old and the new sea life.

Sebastian from Little Mermaid taught this tang to dance and sing, "Under da sea, dahling it's better down where it's wetter!"

20150415_135927-ANIMATION-XL.gif

Delicious algae! Yum Yum Yum

20150401_133406-ANIMATION-XL.gif

Sharkey the Neon Wrasse stiil keeping an eye out for flat worms even though he eliminated them a long time ago.

20150422_102459-XL.jpg

Blue Neon Goby zooms by.

20150422_102456-XL.jpg

Teeth!

20150422_102020-XL.jpg

I'm out!

20150422_102022-XL.jpg

Ocelot fell asleep watching the tank (cat's version of reality TV!).

20150422_102103-XL.jpg

Loving her condo on the beach!

20150422_102127-XL.jpg

20150422_102421-XL.jpg

This little guy like hanging out in front of the sand sifting sea cuke! See the cuke's net spread out?

20150422_102423-XL.jpg

Here is the sea cucumber on his own.

20150422_102410-XL.jpg

20150422_102533-XL.jpg

Two varieties of Gorgonian have done very well in this tank; Corky finger and Knobby finger.

20150422_101400-XL.jpg

20150422_101413-XL.jpg

20150422_101246-XL.jpg

20150422_100936-XL.jpg

Of course the indestructible Palys :wub:

20150422_102343-XL.jpg

20150422_102302-XL.jpg

20150422_100949-XL.jpg

20150422_101055-XL.jpg

20150422_101802-XL.jpg

20150422_002917-XL.jpg

Nice to see an update. Are you running the blue and white channel of the Razors at the same strength? If not then start doing that and see how the tank responds. LED's are much brighter than they appear and running whites lower than the blue channel exacerbates the problem.

The real solution is switching to a nice (ATI) T5 fixture, the 60 inch 6 bulb is pricey but you only have to replace 6 bulbs and they are $25 each. :)

Mr. Microscope

Great photo update. Those gifs are a lot of fun. The blenny one gives kinda a 3D effect.

Ocelot is awesome!

Nice to see an update. Are you running the blue and white channel of the Razors at the same strength? If not then start doing that and see how the tank responds. LED's are much brighter than they appear and running whites lower than the blue channel exacerbates the problem.

The real solution is switching to a nice (ATI) T5 fixture, the 60 inch 6 bulb is pricey but you only have to replace 6 bulbs and they are $25 each. :)

Thanks for the info. I run the blues a bit lower than the whites because I like a shallower look; more like daylight.

I watched Nick Klasse's talk on YouTube from MACNA where he mentions that the blues have to be used with caution. So this confirms your sound advice.

This video link is set to the time where he starts talking about the science LED lighting and affects on the tank including the photosynthetic requirements of corals (Part three).

https://youtu.be/C7rpUQEorDU?t=775

Thanks for the update!

You are welcome; long overdue.

Great photo update. Those gifs are a lot of fun. The blenny one gives kinda a 3D effect.

Ocelot is awesome!

Thanks! Those gifs are so much fun. Ocelot says," Yeah, I know." Yawn, stretch, back to sleep. :lol:

I'm Out! Ha ha aha ha.

That little tang is full of personality. I love its pout-y lips.

Dat Ocelot!

He is a sweet, affectionate cat. He is a great mouser and here on the farm that is important. A big boy, he weighs about 16 lbs and it's all muscle! :D

Thanks for the info. I run the blues a bit lower than the whites because I like a shallower look; more like daylight.

I watched Nick Klasse's talk on YouTube from MACNA where he mentions that the blues have to be used with caution. So this confirms your sound advice.

This video link is set to the time where he starts talking about the science LED lighting and affects on the tank including the photosynthetic requirements of corals (Part three).

https://youtu.be/C7rpUQEorDU?t=775

I have no sound advice. :D I'm a big BML fan and enjoyed those videos, which is probably where I got the advice.

Archived