SaltCritters.com

Back in with a Nuvo 8, any recomendations

Bobyboy

So the itch kicked in towards the end of the 3g competition back in October and I have been trying to avoid getting pulled back in since I sold off my system before school last year. I thought the 2.5g AGA wor hold me over but it just didn't do much for me.

I found that the nuvo after the addition of rock/sand/filter media will only hold roughly 5.5 gallons of water maybe less so it fits with the "no standing water more then 5 gallons" rule sorta.

I've been browsing and haven't found a ton on the 8 gallon version, so I just wanted to know what some of you have done or recommend in the upgrade section the only thing I have planned is either a par38 or a DIY LED setup.

So let me know what your thoughts are on the return pump, the spinstream that they advertise and is a powerhead needed and if so is a mp10 overkill?

I made my inTank order last night

Media basket

Fuge basket

Submersible LED

New purigen and CPE

I also picked up a hydro theo 50 heater

Debating on a mini jet 606 or a MJ900 as a return pump I plan on picking up the spin stream here soon.

I don't want to use a power head but if I have to I'd perfer a mp10, is this overkill even on the lower settings? The koralias take up more room and look tacky in such a small tank.

As for lighting I want a par30 or 38 but I do have a 24 Cree led 3w setup that was made to go into a BC 29 hood that I'm contemplating using.

Specs located here

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/308119-fs-custom-led-retro-will-fit-in-bc29-nc282412-ap2412-price-drop/#entry3972884

I'm sure it is to powerful to just sit on top of the tank so I'd need to hang it atleast 6 inches if not higher above with out mounting it from the ceiling so any suggestions here would be awesome. I might remove a few LEDs aswell.

I'll update with unpacking pics once I recieve everything.

• 2 weeks later...
cyclonewxchick

I have an mp10 in my Nuvo 8 and I haven't had any issues with it, the lower settings are pretty good for my tank. The NTM mode is great for blasting the detritus on the bottom to the overflow.. I am also waiting on an AI nano to upgrade my lighting (I like the thunderstorms)

I replaced my stock pump with a Tunze Silence 1073.008. It's labeled as 210GPH max, which I have it set too. Completely silent. This allowed me to remove my Koralia 240. You might still want to use the MP10. Depends on your needs I guess.

Thanks for the suggestions

@Cyclone where do you have the MP10 in your tank?

I went ahead with a MJ900 and the nuvo spinstream, the MJ makes almost no noise.

I'd love to get a AI nano but 250 is a bit steep right now but the par30/38 should be fine for my plans.

I think I've setting on the following for livestock

Helfrichi firefish

And

Yasha shrimp combo

I'm going to stick with a softie LPS dominated tank possibly a few SPS in the top of the tank.

I upgraded my pump to the Tunze Silence 1073.008. Very quiet! I also upgraded the media basket to an InTank, and the lights to a Sicce Minu. I bought the Spinstream, which was too loud and a waste of money, so I got rid of it.

You'll definitely have to upgrade the lights to grow SPS and some LPS.

I upgraded my pump to the Tunze Silence 1073.008. Very quiet! I also upgraded the media basket to an InTank, and the lights to a Sicce Minu. I bought the Spinstream, which was too loud and a waste of money, so I got rid of it.

Yep the lights are going to be upgraded soon still haven't decided on either a par30 or 38.

Thanks for the pic, I was thinking the same just a bit higher maybe 2-3" below the return nozzle.

That goniopora looks happy, is that 2 of the 8w skkye lights?

Polarcollision

I upgraded to the InTank media basket, a MJ900, and the IM Nana Sol. Once I figure out how to clip the loc-line together, I'll add a Y-splitter to randomize flow

• 2 weeks later...
cyclonewxchick

I got smart and finally ordered an inTank media basket when I saw how much junk was making it past the filter...

I got smart and finally ordered an inTank media basket when I saw how much junk was making it past the filter...

Some water still gets past the InTank. I stuff a little filter floss along the sides to force more water through the media basket.

Archived